Is FM Radio being broadcast in DD PLxii now?

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Last year I tried listening to radio in PLxii and it didn't sound very good. So I usually listen in either stereo or 7 channel stereo. The other day I accidentally switched to PLxii Music and most stations sound great now.:eek: I won't compare it to SACD, but I'm getting separation on many songs along that vein. Is this new? Is there something these guys are doing now?

btw, I'm in Chicago, if it makes any difference.

Thanks
Jack

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
two part question.

1) DD, or Dolby Digital is, as the name implies, a digital medium. FM is an analog medium. So, the answer to this is "no"

2) DPLII is a DSP type of processing that is applied to a two channel source and, through he magic of electronics, manages to coax out more than two channels. This works with any two channels, either digital or analog. FM is analog so it's possible.

3) dunno whay changed. Maybe they tweaked their transmiters? Or did something changed on your end? new antenna?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
markw said:
2) DPLII is a DSP type of processing that is applied to a two channel source and, through he magic of electronics, manages to coax out more than two channels. This works with any two channels, either digital or analog. FM is analog so it's possible.
Actually, I'm pretty sure there is such a thing as PLII encoding, just like Dolby Surround/Pro Logic, but it is highly unlikely that any FM stations are broadcasting in it. My guess would be #3 also - they probably upped their signal strength and you are now getting a better stereo signal which allows better separation via a PLII/PLIIx DSP. You'll notice that the signal will sometimes "lock" in the stereo reception and it will sound good, but when the signal loses strength and the receiver doesn't acually show that it has a stereo signal, PLII doesn't work well.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
j_garcia said:
Actually, I'm pretty sure there is such a thing as PLII encoding, just like Dolby Surround/Pro Logic, but it is highly unlikely that any FM stations are broadcasting in it. My guess would be #3 also - they probably upped their signal strength and you are now getting a better stereo signal which allows better separation via a PLII/PLIIx DSP. You'll notice that the signal will sometimes "lock" in the stereo reception and it will sound good, but when the signal loses strength and the receiver doesn't acually show that it has a stereo signal, PLII doesn't work well.
The encoding, as I understand, is termed Dolby Surround. Dolby Pro Logic and Dolby Pro Logic II can both be used to decode Dolby Surround as well as matrix stereo signals into surround sound.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
jonnythan said:
The encoding, as I understand, is termed Dolby Surround. Dolby Pro Logic and Dolby Pro Logic II can both be used to decode Dolby Surround as well as matrix stereo signals into surround sound.
Pro Logic II encoding does exist per Dolby's site, and for all intents and purposes, it has replaced Dolby Surround encoding.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
j_garcia said:
Pro Logic II encoding does exist per Dolby's site, and for all intents and purposes, it has replaced Dolby Surround encoding.
You sure?

"Dolby® Pro Logic® II technology processes any high quality stereo (two-channel) movie and music audio into five playback channels of full-bandwidth surround sound."

"Dolby Pro Logic II is fully compatible with all Dolby Pro Logic technologies. It provides optimal audio for playback in a 5.1-channel home theater system for the thousands of videocassettes and TV programs encoded in four-channel Dolby Surround (the encoding counterpart to Dolby Pro Logic's decoding technology."

"Dolby Surround is the consumer version of the original Dolby multichannel analog film sound format (Dolby analog and Dolby SR [Spectral Recording]). When a Dolby Surround soundtrack is produced, four channels of audio information—Left, Center, Right, and Mono surround—are matrix-encoded onto two audio tracks. These two tracks are then carried on stereo program sources such as videotapes and TV broadcasts into the home, where they can be decoded by Dolby Pro Logic® to recreate the original four-channel surround sound experience.

With the introduction of the Dolby Digital multichannel film sound format, Dolby Digital has replaced Dolby Surround as the preferred technology to deliver multichannel audio to consumers"

This implies that Dolby Surround has been supplanted by Dolby Digital as far as encoding surround sound goes, but that Dolby Surround is still necessary for two-channel sources.

I see no mention of "Dolby Pro Logic II encoding"

edit: just found this:

"In addition to enhancing playback, Dolby Pro Logic II can be used to encode TV programming to deliver a surround sound experience for viewers with stereo TV systems. "

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
In addition to that, there is a link to encoding and decoding for mixing. On the main page where it says "select product" choose PLII. See Mixing under white papers and DP563 Dolby Surround and Pro Logic II Encoder under Spec Sheets

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Since every radio station in the country broadcasts low-bitrate MP3's, I highly doubt it.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Interestingly, one of the stations I was listening to the other day added after the station ID, something to the effect of "now broadcast in high-definition." They might have used the word "digital." It was in the background while I doing other stuff and I didn't think to note what station it was. I'll have to pay more attention next time.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

j_garcia said:
Nooo, sorry I'm not a big country fan.;) I did some searching and found it, here's the link to their HD radio info:
http://www.wtmx.com/hdradio.php

It says I need an HD capable reciever, which I don't have. Either way, I have noticed an improvement in sound over the last year. While it's entirely possible it was something I changed in my setup, I really have no idea what it might have been.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It probably is related to the fact that they had to change some gear to go HD, and the side benefit is you get a better signal on regular FM also. Whew...country in HD. That's like watchin OLN in HD...:D

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
j_garcia said:
It probably is related to the fact that they had to change some gear to go HD, and the side benefit is you get a better signal on regular FM also. Whew...country in HD. That's like watchin OLN in HD...:D
I certainly wouldn't mind watching Faith Hill or Martina McBride in HD ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis