Is Emotiva Too Good To Be True?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Based on their past history with processors, I decided to hold off on the UMC-1 until those first round guys slog through the issues. I think they are a great company, but expectations are really high as well. With them not being a multi-billion dollar global company, the development of something like the UMC-1 is definitely going to take longer for them, so it is understandable and I don't fault them for it. In the meantime though, I will continue to enjoy my amp :)

son-yah-tive

son-yah-tive

Full Audioholic
Based on their past history with processors, I decided to hold off on the UMC-1 until those first round guys slog through the issues. I think they are a great company, but expectations are really high as well. With them not being a multi-billion dollar global company, the development of something like the UMC-1 is definitely going to take longer for them, so it is understandable and I don't fault them for it. In the meantime though, I will continue to enjoy my amp :)
Nicley put. I'm on the second waiting list. By then the updates will be done.

majorloser

majorloser

I think the last update took care of most issues. I'd say they just need to work on the O&M manual to eliminate a lot of the questions and problems. I was lucky enough to get a very early copy of the manual for review. The present edition has come a long way and will answer most questions if you take the time to read it first.

But hey, were guys! We don't need no stinkin' manuals!

I'm still playing with mine a little at a time to figure my way around. I think I got the hang of the EmoQ system. I may be wrong, but I think it can only adust +10db. So if any particular channel needs to go further up or down it can't make the adjustment. So when I saw + 10db during a calibration I would raise or lower to amp gain for that channel the opposite direction and re-run the process again till the numbers were reasonable. Obviously the rear channel speakers will not be able to reach the same db as the fronts, so they always came up with +10 db. And the subwoofer channel for me always came up with -10db. So I adjusted the gains to get them in the range that EmoQ could handle adjustments.

I'm sure it's not the right way or the way Emotiva intended things to work, but it works for me. Even running the calibrations a few times after I acheived balance, the numbers are almost always the same. So the UMC-1 must be happy with the results.

I will say that I have cut the subwoofer channel down a few more db then EmoQ wants to set things at. Just seemed a little "hot" for me. Impressed the heck out of my neighbors.

Maybe this weekend I'll run a few sweeps with my laptop and see how it really performed.

Back to the OP's question:

I'd say I'm happy with Emotiva and their products that I've had a chance to own and play with. A really nice bunch of people that really do care about their customers. I own some of their speaker and the UMC-1. Looking to buy a stack of mono block amps this year for my theater and hopefully add the XMC-1 to the mix.

It's just amazing how many people complain about Emotiva products and won't make a simple telephone call. Chances are you might even get one of the primary designers, Lonnie Vaughn, to answer the phone. You'll probably get way too much info, but you'll have a better handle on what the device you're having troubles with is capable of.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
It's just amazing how many people complain about Emotiva products and won't make a simple telephone call. Chances are you might even get one of the primary designers, Lonnie Vaughn, to answer the phone. You'll probably get way too much info, but you'll have a better handle on what the device you're having troubles with is capable of.
Yep. I called Emo and asked forTech support last week and was shocked when I heard, "This is Lonnie, can I help you?" I was almost stunned to silence.

Knucklehead90

Knucklehead90

Audioholic
I'll chime in here as well - having owned a UPA-7 for over a year I'm very impressed with it's performance. I have it connected to an Integra DHC 40.1 and the combination is outstanding for movies and music. I had been waiting for the UMC-1 but finally tired of the excuses Emotiva were giving - and felt they were leading people on instead of being honest about when the UMC-1 would debut.

Carrot and stick? Thats the impression I got. Shame on them for that!

I've also owned the UPA-2 - a two channel 125wpc amp that is a great little performer. I agree with others - their amps are butt ugly.

I've also owned all of their speakers at one time or another - and have been less than impressed with the performance of all but the cheapest speakers. The ERT 8.3s may be the most overpriced ($1500 a pair) of their speakers. These are basically an ERM-1 with a pair of 8" woofers grafted on. A good sub with a pair of ERM-1s will give you very similar results IMO.

The ERM 6.3 ($599 each) sounds pretty much the same as the ERM 6.2s ($299 each) and ERM-1s (I paid $258 for the pair) that have been discontinued. The ERD-1 surround speakers (these are actually VERY good) and the ERM-1s are the best they make. Too bad they didn't keep the ERM-1s going. If you get the chance to pick up a pair for $200 or under give em a try - use a sub.

I still have the pair of ERM-1s in a two channel setup in the bedroom with a DIY 12" sub - the sound is very good. I don't think I'll be changing those out any time soon. Driving them with an HK 3390 they image as good as any 2 channel setup I've ever had. I've had lots of 2 channel setups.

The LMC-1 (owned 2) reminded me of a model T every time I used it. I think the UMC-1 will work out better but I think they have some work to iron out the wrinkles in the product.

The best part about buying from Emotiva is their no questions asked 30 day return policy. You pay shipping back but that seems to me better than being stuck with something you really don't like. Customer service is first rate. I've heard some people who were less than impressed with it but people often only tell you their side of the story.

E

eomcall

Enthusiast
I currently own the LMC-1, LPA-1 and ERC-1. Was in the first shipment of LMC-1 and LPA-1s.
The LMC-1 has been a nice unit after they finally got it right. I am waiting for the USMC-1 and believe will be a fine pre-pro once the bugs are worked out.
I've haven't had one problem with any unit I purchased to date.
Never had any problem in dealing with the company.
I believe they provide a good quality product for a very fair price.

I like the looks of the amps.

SopRage

SopRage

Audioholic
I can't vouch for anything but their amps, but my UPA-7's been sounding good and trouble-free since I bought it.

R

ratm

Audioholic
As someone who spends 99% of his money on the wife and 4 kids, that 1% has to go a long way. After doing literally months of research on the net, I finally settled on speakers and amp (avr is still in debate). I went with home theater direct for my speakers and Emotiva for my amp. Is there better equipment? I'll never know, but everything I have equates to the best sound I have ever heard.

One of the best things about both of these companies is the CS. Both companies made me feel like I was their only customer and their success was based on my happiness and mine alone. That will keep me coming back no matter how a pair of $10k speakers sound running with the most expensive Rotel amp.

son-yah-tive

son-yah-tive

Full Audioholic
As someone who spends 99% of his money on the wife and 4 kids, that 1% has to go a long way. After doing literally months of research on the net, I finally settled on speakers and amp (avr is still in debate). I went with home theater direct for my speakers and Emotiva for my amp. Is there better equipment? I'll never know, but everything I have equates to the best sound I have ever heard.

One of the best things about both of these companies is the CS. Both companies made me feel like I was their only customer and their success was based on my happiness and mine alone. That will keep me coming back no matter how a pair of $10k speakers sound running with the most expensive Rotel amp.
You're right. The quality and customer service(care)is tops at Emotiva.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis