Is Canton Reference 8K significantly better then Canton Vento 890 DC?

S

sergix

Enthusiast
Hi, I have the option to exchange my Canton 890 DC column speaker for a Canton Reference 8K. I want to ask if this makes sense to you and you think I can help myself. The 8K references are from a higher range, so they should have a more accurate presentation, and at the same time these speakers are 10 cm lower, which suits me because of the projection screen.
On the other hand, I am afraid of lower performance - I would not like to make things worse (we have a living room connected to the dining room and kitchen, so although the listening area is approx. 4x4m with a listening distance of 3.5m, the overall floor plan is approx. 4.5x8m, the volume of the room is 180m3). I'm not afraid of a smaller bass, I have a set complete with SW.
I use 50:50 movies: music. Marantz Cinema 40 amplifier.

Thank you

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Hi, I have the option to exchange my Canton 890 DC column speaker for a Canton Reference 8K. I want to ask if this makes sense to you and you think I can help myself. The 8K references are from a higher range, so they should have a more accurate presentation, and at the same time these speakers are 10 cm lower, which suits me because of the projection screen.
On the other hand, I am afraid of lower performance - I would not like to make things worse (we have a living room connected to the dining room and kitchen, so although the listening area is approx. 4x4m with a listening distance of 3.5m, the overall floor plan is approx. 4.5x8m, the volume of the room is 180m3). I'm not afraid of a smaller bass, I have a set complete with SW.
I use 50:50 movies: music. Marantz Cinema 40 amplifier.

Thank you
The 890 DC is German made from 2008 to 2011, so specs take a little digging to find. I had to translate these from a German wiki:
Technical Data:
  • Design: 3-Way Bassreflex, Floorstanding
  • Chassis:
    • Bass: 2x 200 mm, Aluminium (Wave-surround)
    • Midrange: 180 mm, Aluminium (Wave-surround)
    • Tweeter: 25 mm, Alu-Manganese-Dome
  • Power Handling (Nom-/Peak.): 180 / 340 W
  • Efficiency: 88.5 dB/1W/1m
  • Frequency Response: 20 - 40,000 Hz
  • Crossover: 250 / 3,000 Hz
  • Impedance: 4 Ohm
vento-8902_625267.png

The 8K Reference:
  • Type: High-End Floorstanding Speaker
  • Engineering Principle: 3-Way, bass-reflex system
  • Nom. /Music power handling: 150W / 300W
  • Efficiency 86.2dB SPL / 2.83V/m
  • Frequency response: 24Hz - 40kHz
  • Crossover frequency: 220Hz / 3kHz
  • Woofer: 2 x 154mm (6.06"), ceramic tungsten (Wave-surround)
  • Midrange: 1 x 154mm (6.06"), ceramic tungsten (Wave-surround)
  • Tweeter: 1 x 25mm (0.98"), Aluminum oxide ceramic
  • Nominal Impedance: 4 ohms - 8 ohms
Canto Reference 8k FR.jpg

The 890 has larger drivers so not surprisingly goes a little deeper but if you are using a subwoofer and high passing the speakers then it's not much of an issue. The efficiency ratings were measured differently but the 890 looks to be a little more efficient by 2.3dB so the Ref 8k may need a little more power for the same SPL.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis