Is Audyssey the best room correction?

O

OhioGuy25

Audioholic Intern
The rep at crutchfield insists that nothing comes close. He recommended the Denon 1300 as the best option in my price range. Is this true? Looking to spend under $400. Just upgrading my 20 year old Yamaha AVR to get lossless, room correction and HDMI. Thanks!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
What speakers do you have and how far do you sit from them?

O

OhioGuy25

Audioholic Intern
What speakers do you have and how far do you sit from them?
I have a set of Klipsch I bought through employee accommodations when I worked at Best Buy.

R26F floor standing- http://www.klipsch.com/products/reference-floorstanding-speakers

R14S surrounds - http://www.klipsch.com/products/reference-surround-sound-speakers

And the matching center and sub. I'm sitting about 10 ft from them. Are these good speakers? I got a pretty amazing deal, like $600 for all of them.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I have a set of Klipsch I bought through employee accommodations when I worked at Best Buy.

R26F floor standing- http://www.klipsch.com/products/reference-floorstanding-speakers

R14S surrounds - http://www.klipsch.com/products/reference-surround-sound-speakers

And the matching center and sub. I'm sitting about 10 ft from them. Are these good speakers? I got a pretty amazing deal, like $600 for all of them.
The Denon will be sufficient to drive your speakers. As for the RC understand that there are different flavors of audyssey. The one used in the avr you were recommended is the entry level. IMO for much better results move up to the gold version. Look at accessories4less for a better bang 4 your buck purchase.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3000/denon-avr-x3000-7.2-ch-x-105-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I care about room correction (any of them) exactly 0%.

But I do think Audyssey Dynamic EQ is the best subwoofer bass EQ in terms of AVR/ Pre-pro.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Audyssey is typically fairly well regarded, but be sure you read and understand post #4, the one in that AVR is not the top level for Audyssey.

Anthem Room Correction is also fairly well liked. The BEST may be Dirac.

O

OhioGuy25

Audioholic Intern
Audyssey is typically fairly well regarded, but be sure you read and understand post #4, the one in that AVR is not the top level for Audyssey.

Anthem Room Correction is also fairly well liked. The BEST may be Dirac.
Ok, thanks. What is the best room correction in the $3-400 price range, are they all about equal?

O

OhioGuy25

Audioholic Intern
The Denon will be sufficient to drive your speakers. As for the RC understand that there are different flavors of audyssey. The one used in the avr you were recommended is the entry level. IMO for much better results move up to the gold version. Look at accessories4less for a better bang 4 your buck purchase.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3000/denon-avr-x3000-7.2-ch-x-105-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html
Gotcha, but if I'm looking to keep it under $400 what is my best option?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The 1300 I mentioned has XT though no?
Sorry just noticed the both had XT included. The gold has additional features for height and wide, including DSX. At 400 it still is a better deal

O

OhioGuy25

Audioholic Intern
Sorry just noticed the both had XT included. The gold has additional features for height and wide, including DSX. At 400 it still is a better deal
So is even the entry level XT still alot better than the others (Yamaha, Pioneer etc)?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
So is even the entry level XT still alot better than the others (Yamaha, Pioneer etc)?
XT isn't entry level, it's middle eq. Audyssey has 4 suites: bronze, silver, gold, platinum. As for it being better than other manufacturers is subjective at the price point. I was trying to point out that you could get the upgraded suite and more power and features at $400

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
D&M came up with the color coding afaik. Audyssey is currently in three levels of MultEQ; MultEQ, MultEQ XT, MultEQ XT32; there was 2EQ before that. I suppose a fourth level of MultEQ was available with Audyssey Pro compatible units, but the new app this year supplants Audyssey Pro.

I had a Pioneer with Advanced MCACC and then got an Onkyo with MultEQ XT, I preferred the XT results, particularly for subs, a bit more but the Advanced MCACC had some nice features and was no slouch. I have added a Denon with XT32 and that was a noticeable improvement....YMMV.

I'd like to play with Dirac or Trinnov but don't want to spend the $ to play with those at this time....

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
At the $400 price-point, I think Audtssey XT is as arguably the best option.
I believe there are more than one implementations of Pioneers and Yamaha's versions of room EQ, making a clear statement of "X is better than Y" difficult, but if it was my money, I would get the one that EverettT linked! That is a lot of AVR for $400 and the 3 year warranty is as good as a new unit.
Note that the reconditioning and the warranty are both provided by Denon. This is worth a lot for peace of mind buying a refurb as compared to third-party reconditioning with third-party warranty support.

O

OhioGuy25

Audioholic Intern
At the $400 price-point, I think Audtssey XT is as arguably the best option.
I believe there are more than one implementations of Pioneers and Yamaha's versions of room EQ, making a clear statement of "X is better than Y" difficult, but if it was my money, I would get the one that EverettT linked! That is a lot of AVR for $400 and the 3 year warranty is as good as a new unit.
Note that the reconditioning and the warranty are both provided by Denon. This is worth a lot for peace of mind buying a refurb as compared to third-party reconditioning with third-party warranty support.
Gotcha, thanks. What specifically makes the XT so much better?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Gotcha, thanks. What specifically makes the XT so much better?
The most common spoken, is the low frequency filters. IMO it doesn't mess things up often. The thing with RC is that it will never a bad room perfect, nor will any eq. But in the low bass range it tends to do a better job than most. It's always room dependent.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Audyssey.com used to be a good way to find out more on how Audyssey functions but seems a dull marketing person has taken over the site and they don't link to much but lightweight marketing crap now there, but if you go here you can find lots of details in previously asked questions answered by Chris K, the CTO of Audyssey. https://audyssey.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis