Is a 4K bdp worth it right now?

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I have a 55” 4K tv, and can see a difference between 4K content and HD switching between hdx and UHD on VUDU, currently I use a Roku ultra and 99% of the 4K content I view is through VUDU UHD. I’m sure UHD bluray features a ton less compression, but my main concern is the price of an UHD player. Right now I’m looking at at least $250. That just seems too expensive to me.

Should I wait for prices to go down and just use VUDU for right now or am I seriously missing out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
I've streamed a few uhd movies on my Amazon fire, to me there is a big difference vs standard 1080 (more in the colors than resolution) I recently purchased an Xbox one s but have yet to buy any uhd disks, even used at $10-15 a movie I can't justify that cost, even with my curiosity to see how much difference between streaming and a disk.

If I had a dedicated theater I would be more inclined to purchase uhd. I only casually watch movies as of now.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Probably the best value as a UHD player is the new OPPO UDP-203.

It's a little expensive as compared to some other brands, but it has the latest components and it provides for updates. It's also well built and it's from a company whose management doesn't rest on its laurels.

If I were in your shoes, I would not hesitate to get one. When I replace my Panasonic plasma with a 4K TV, I won't hesitate to get an OPPO UHD player. At present, I am using a BDP95 and I love it.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Interesting discussion so far. Verdinut, you bring up some good points. I have the BDP105 and I still love it. I bought it at the time when I had no network features in my system, and it opened up a whole new world for me (streaming music from my network, Pandora, Netflix, etc) But now that I have a network receiver I just stream directly to the Yamaha, but I still use the 105 for Netflix and disc playback. I have thought about upgrading to the Oppo 203 or 205. But the 205 may not be the most cost effective solution. I would be interested to know, how many folks here have sprung for an ultra HD Blu-ray player? And, is it a good investment at this point, considering how many Ultra HD discs are currently available? I have a 4k TV, but given the amount of programming available in this format, I feel 4k is mostly marketing BS at this point.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
@little wing,
I don't have a 4K TV neither a UHD player as yet. However, one of my friends, actually my best friend, has a 50" Samsung 4K TV set and the OPPO UDP-203. I had the opportunity to watch a couple of 4K movies as well as some Blu-ray movies and one opera DVD played on the 203.

Let me tell you that I was amazed with the difference in resolution and the precision of colors compared to the results obtained with a Panasonic plasma used with an OPPO BDP-83. The OPPO UHD player upsamples the 1080P video resolution on ordinary Blu-rays and you definitely notice an improvement. DVDs almost look like Blu-rays.

You have to look for yourself. If you have the opportunity of seeing some demonstration in a specialized audiophile store, preferably a dealer who sells OPPO products if you can find one, you should see the improvement. I suggest that you bring one of your Blu-ray discs with which it should be easier to notice the difference. Note that the improvement will be most noticeable on screens of 50" or bigger.

I am sure that within the next two years or so, there will be a lot more 4K films on the market. Should you eventually proceed as recommended, please let us know your impressions.

Cheers,

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’d apply the money towards your subwoofer build/upgrade/situation.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
@little wing,
I don't have a 4K TV neither a UHD player as yet. However, one of my friends, actually my best friend, has a 50" Samsung 4K TV set and the OPPO UDP-203. I had the opportunity to watch a couple of 4K movies as well as some Blu-ray movies and one opera DVD played on the 203.

Let me tell you that I was amazed with the difference in resolution and the precision of colors compared to the results obtained with a Panasonic plasma used with an OPPO BDP-83. The OPPO UHD player upsamples the 1080P video resolution on ordinary Blu-rays and you definitely notice an improvement. DVDs almost look like Blu-rays.

You have to look for yourself. If you have the opportunity of seeing some demonstration in a specialized audiophile store, preferably a dealer who sells OPPO products if you can find one, you should see the improvement. I suggest that you bring one of your Blu-ray discs with which it should be easier to notice the difference. Note that the improvement will be most noticeable on screens of 50" or bigger.

I am sure that within the next two years or so, there will be a lot more 4K films on the market. Should you eventually proceed as recommended, please let us know your impressions.

Cheers,
Yes, I'm sure the video is better... there is always something better, the trick I'm learning is not to chase better equipment so much anymore. I'll upgrade one day, but not on the radar anytime soon.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I’d apply the money towards your subwoofer build/upgrade/situation.
What subwoofer situation? :rolleyes:... Yes, yes, I realize my sub is not high output or very powerful. But In my 12 foot by 17 1/2 foot room, it's actually not bad. Now once you go toward the dining room area the bass drops off somewhat. It does shake the room during action sequences in movies, and for music it's good as well. But I had a budget and size in mind when I purchased (under a grand delivered, and as small a footprint as possible, so the Rythmik is what I came up with. I know it's not the best though. But I really enjoy the sound of my system right now. Just no logical place to put a second sub..:(

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
What subwoofer situation? :rolleyes:... Yes, yes, I realize my sub is not high output or very powerful. But In my 12 foot by 17 1/2 foot room, it's actually not bad. Now once you go toward the dining room area the bass drops off somewhat. It does shake the room during action sequences in movies, and for music it's good as well. But I had a budget and size in mind when I purchased (under a grand delivered, and as small a footprint as possible, so the Rythmik is what I came up with. I know it's not the best though. But I really enjoy the sound of my system right now. Just no logical place to put a second sub..:(
@little wing, not sure why you quoted me. Lol!!!
I was talking to yep, cause not long ago he asked about a subwoofer build, and since he’s got decent video playback, and prices will continue to drop, I felt his money would be better spent on subwoofage. Btw, I think rythmik makes great subs.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
@little wing, not sure why you quoted me. Lol!!!
I was talking to yep, cause not long ago he asked about a subwoofer build, and since he’s got decent video playback, and prices will continue to drop, I felt his money would be better spent on subwoofage. Btw, I think rythmik makes great subs.

LOL!! Might be that Sam Adams Oktoberfest...It is that time you know. :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I was gonna say, sub situation? I love my Rythmik 12. I think it kicks ass.
Lol I think you made a good choice.
The “sub situation” came up when I mentioned the OP spend his money there, instead of his display.

Darenwh

Darenwh

Audioholic
IMHO, if you are in need of a new BR player you might as well get a quality 4k player. Newer processor will be faster and likely a better performer than a BR player as most BR players will be using older or less expensive tech. If you don't need a new player and do not own a 4K TV then I don't see a reason to pay for the 4K yet. Again, that's how I would decide. Your choice though as it is your money you are spending.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis