S

Soundmaster89

Audioholic Intern
Hi happy halloween

I am getting IPTV in the upcoming weeks and now i am "pre planning" on how to set it all up and i ran into a problem "i think" lol. My TV and Soundbar in the Living room both have ARC initially i thought u just needed and HDMI cable from the IPTV box to my TV but when i programmed HDMI 2 i discovered this setting in audio for multi channel audio apparently thats only for optical audio and not HDMI and i have a feeling that my TV would downgrade 5.1 to Stereo anyways i don't want to use a optical cable just HDMI reason for that is i want minimize cables as much as possible (just 1 cable). Now my question since my 5.1 Soundbar has 2 more HDMI inputs instead of going IPTV -> TV -> Soundbar i would go IPTV -> Soundbar -> TV that way the Soundbar would take the 5.1 audio signal and then sends the picture through the HDMI1 with ARC to my TV am i right on that? that would be my preferred way of doing it because with ARC as we all know when i turn the TV on my Soundbar would turn on too (but i know that i need to switch the inputs on the Soundbar from HDMI ARC to HDMI 2).

S

Soundmaster89

Audioholic Intern
Edit: 2 things i forgot to mention The Soundbar i was s talking about is the Philips HTL5120/12 and the receiver is the Media receiver 103 from Telekom. hope somebody can help me with this every time is ask somebody i get a different answer from tech support.:confused:

S

Soundmaster89

Audioholic Intern
HELP!:mad: just talked again to tech support and he was no help at all didn't answer my question just said its not the standard way to do it i mean i know but for a reason its not the standard way! because i again when i connect it the "standard" way i fear my TV just makes stereo out of 5.1 and thats not what i want.:mad: (i need to stop repeating myself) LOL xD
I really hope one of you can help me with that.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I do not see how it would work. ARC is audio return channel so you need a device to pass that signal back and the device to process the sound. ARC goes from the TV back to the soundbar. The main usage of ARC is to get sound back from the TV when using an over the air broadcast or a smartTV's web app. It is not meant to pass sound back from a device connected to the TV. What you need is HDMI pass through on standby which would allow you to go from your cable box to the soundbar and then to the TV which would allow you to just use the TV speakers when the soundbar is off.

You never explained what exactly it is you are trying to accomplish.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
You go from device - audio device - video device.

You are trying to go from device- video device - audio device. That will not work and is a fool's errand.

Hook up your device to the sound bar and run from the sound bar to the tv. If you need OTA sound via the sound bar normally you can use ARC or optical.

S

Soundmaster89

Audioholic Intern
I do not see how it would work. ARC is audio return channel so you need a device to pass that signal back and the device to process the sound. ARC goes from the TV back to the soundbar. The main usage of ARC is to get sound back from the TV when using an over the air broadcast or a smartTV's web app. It is not meant to pass sound back from a device connected to the TV. What you need is HDMI pass through on standby which would allow you to go from your cable box to the soundbar and then to the TV which would allow you to just use the TV speakers when the soundbar is off.

You never explained what exactly it is you are trying to accomplish.
I indeed didn't! sorry lol i was thinking that i just connect the device (IPTV) simply to my TV and thats it! but checking my mail this morning i got a email from philips (which was in the spam folder since tuesday) for a follow up to my question basically just telling me what @lsiberian said above thanks @lsiberian i go device in the Soundbar and from the Soundbar to the TV that way i get full 5.1 sound and picture 720/1080i (reason vor 2 resolutions is the sports/documentary channels (most are US) are 1080i the other half is european channels 720p. Anyways thanks for the help guys! @lsiberian i do it how you said it i go into the Soundbar and run to the TV.

S

Soundmaster89

Audioholic Intern
You go from device - audio device - video device.

You are trying to go from device- video device - audio device. That will not work and is a fool's errand.

Hook up your device to the sound bar and run from the sound bar to the tv. If you need OTA sound via the sound bar normally you can use ARC or optical.[/QUOTES

Spot on! will do it that way. But might run into a problem on my 2nd setup (most likely need an optical switch for my other Soundbar because i want to connect an Apple TV to it as well and my Soundbar has no inputs left).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis