ipod - getting digital out for reciever amplification.

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
Instead of using the D to A in the ipod itself, does anyone have experence with a dock that has digital out. I've seem some really pricey ones >$100 I think, but I'm looking for something cheaper.

My long term plan is the get a PC configred with an audio card from which I will send digital though an HDMI card right to my reciever, put for now, I'd just like to be able to dock an iphone...

thanks.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
http://www.audiojunkies.com/blog/945/wadia-releases-info-on-itransport-ipod-dock

That's fairly cheap..... lol

I don't think it would matter unless you are running lossless. Even so, lossless will improve SQ on the iPod through analog. I have a first gen iPod Touch, and while I can tell a difference between it and using my CD player, if you aren't critically listening, and you have songs on there of quality (192k+ MP3/WMA or Lossless), nothing to really worry about. You have to keep in mind, they were designed to be portable, flashy, and hold a lot of information. With that said, I'm still happy with mine.

And, you DO NOT need HDMI from a computer coming out to a receiver for just audio. That is stupid. Many good audio cards have TOSLINK/ SPDIF out, and will do the same thing, save for that stupid big HDMI connector that says "HDMI" on it :D

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
thanks

That's still on the pricey side of course, but I'd good to know the option.

Regarding the HDMI comment- I will take the Audio digital in the computer - and via a jumper - route it to a video card. Then, with one HDMI cable out from Video, I will *also* have the computer's audio and the video.

It will allow me, for example, to browse my audio collection via itunes (or whatever) on my LCD panel, and then have the audio come over on the same cable, same reciever input selection.

I will also be able to watch dancy-baby clip from utube! :)

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
That's still on the pricey side of course, but I'd good to know the option.

Regarding the HDMI comment- I will take the Audio digital in the computer - and via a jumper - route it to a video card. Then, with one HDMI cable out from Video, I will *also* have the computer's audio and the video.

It will allow me, for example, to browse my audio collection via itunes (or whatever) on my LCD panel, and then have the audio come over on the same cable, same reciever input selection.

I will also be able to watch dancy-baby clip from utube! :)
I think the new ATI's do that. Integrate the audio output that would be and stream directly to the HDMI port on the graphics card. Don't quote me on it, because I haven't got the chance to read about it.

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
Ati...

Thanks for the note about the ATI's; I will check that.

For the benefit of others here, however, I was advised by a member of this forum that the ATI cards use software to render the HDMI output, while the GeForce cards do it via hardware - usually a better solution.

I'm by no means an expert, but it's something for someone heading in this direction to research before buying...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis