Invasion of privacy?

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
So, my dad has been/still is in the hospital and I have been getting his mail and checking phone messages about every 3 days. To my surprise, he has been getting a $h!t ton of mail and phone messages.

After doing some checking, his name is on a website offering cheap pay day loans. They list his address with a map to his house, his phone number and full name. I am so pissed. While checking, i decided to check on my own name and again was surprised to find my name on sites listing my full name, address, and on some sites, a map to my house.

Further checking found that this information is public record and anyone has access to it and these companies harvest this information and sell it to advertisers. I think i kind of knew this, but I'm still shocked. My name showed up on 15 websites.

Removal;

Trying to 'opt out', when offered, has been a time consuming task. One site tried to charge me to remove my info. I currently have more important things ot worry about.

Here some tips if anyone else wants to take this on:

How to Remove Your Personal Information from Google and Internet

If anyone has other suggestions I am open to hearing them.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Barry

jinjuku

jinjuku

One of the benefits for me is having a fairly common name. I'm anonymous due to volume :)

I'll keep you and yours in my thoughts. Hope your pop is out of there soon.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I'll keep you and yours in my thoughts. Hope your pop is out of there soon.
I appreciate the thoughts. I brought him from the hospital this morning. He's glad to be home

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
It really isn't a new thing to have a public listing of people's names and addresses and phone numbers. The telephone book has been printed for many years. Add a map and you have directions to a specific person's house. Now it is easier than before, but it is mostly the same as what has been the case for decades.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis