Internet radio station doesn't work

G

Georgevolo

Audiophyte
Hi to everyone
I listen to Internet radio for the last 6 months. Specifically to
Republic Radio 100.3 FM
It is located to thessaloniki/Greece.
But it doesn't work for the last 2 months. It shows up on the list but when i choose it it doesn't work.
My avr is Marantz NR 1504. I talked to the technician of the station but he said everything is up to date in his systems. He also said the url is the following: 162.252.85.85:9878
Would you please try to check if you could hear to this station? Or if you could advice me what to do?
Thanks a lot

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi to everyone
I listen to Internet radio for the last 6 months. Specifically to
Republic Radio 100.3 FM
It is located to thessaloniki/Greece.
But it doesn't work for the last 2 months. It shows up on the list but when i choose it it doesn't work.
My avr is Marantz NR 1504. I talked to the technician of the station but he said everything is up to date in his systems. He also said the url is the following: 162.252.85.85:9878
Would you please try to check if you could hear to this station? Or if you could advice me what to do?
Thanks a lot
It streamed for me. The station specifies mpeg audio. It does not state which version. I suspect the station changed codecs two months ago and your receiver does not have the required codec.

There has been massive change on codecs of late. There is an epidemic of internet radios and other devices not receiving stations they used too. The BBC have made changes going to AAC + and this has cut out a lot of very expensive Internet radios and receivers like LIN.

MPR in Minnesota no longer supports mp3 in its stream.

I used VLC media player in a computer and it streamed fine.

The best way on infer facing for streamed media is a well set up computer connected to a good audio system. I have two computers in my rig and can quickly adapt to the rapidly changing environment.

G

Georgevolo

Audiophyte
It streamed for me. The station specifies mpeg audio. It does not state which version. I suspect the station changed codecs two months ago and your receiver does not have the required codec.

There has been massive change on codecs of late. There is an epidemic of internet radios and other devices not receiving stations they used too. The BBC have made changes going to AAC + and this has cut out a lot of very expensive Internet radios and receivers like LIN.

MPR in Minnesota no longer supports mp3 in its stream.

I used VLC media player in a computer and it streamed fine.

The best way on infer facing for streamed media is a well set up computer connected to a good audio system. I have two computers in my rig and can quickly adapt to the rapidly changing environment.
Thanks a lot for your answer
Do you think is possible to update the codecs in my receiver or is it a hardware matter?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks a lot for your answer
Do you think is possible to update the codecs in my receiver or is it a hardware matter?
As far as I can tell that receiver is only set up to work with Pandora. Were you getting that station through Pandora? That may be the issue. Greece is all mucked up at the moment due to that vile EU. That may be the problem. Usually you can not change codecs with a firmware upgrade. That has not been the case in the UK where there has been most of the problems.

As I said, if you want the best out of Internet streaming, an audio or AV computer is the best bet.

These connect to your receiver via Toslink optical SPDIF, SPDIF coax, HDMI or USB. USB I like least.

With the improved codecs, I can get really good fidelity now.

G

Georgevolo

Audiophyte
As far as I can tell that receiver is only set up to work with Pandora. Were you getting that station through Pandora? That may be the issue. Greece is all mucked up at the moment due to that vile EU. That may be the problem. Usually you can not change codecs with a firmware upgrade. That has not been the case in the UK where there has been most of the problems.

As I said, if you want the best out of Internet streaming, an audio or AV computer is the best bet.

These connect to your receiver via Toslink optical SPDIF, SPDIF coax, HDMI or USB. USB I like least.

With the improved codecs, I can get really good fidelity now.
This station shows up on a list of stations (on the tv monitor) when i choose internet radio from the remote. I can search for stations either by searching nation/city/station name or manually bu searching with entering text. A third way is by logging to vtuner (radiomarantz.com from the pc), finding the station, storing it and then going back to the avr, choosing radiomarantz and playing the station already stored before. None of these work. I also unplugged the avr, and reset it but didnt fix it. The manual says it can play wma,mp3, mpeg-4 stations. I am not sure what is pandora. What concerns me is that this station shows up on the lists i mentioned and according to marantz only stations that can be reproduced show up. I dont know how the stations show up, i mean is there a platform these stations are registered? Do you know what is SHOUT?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

This station shows up on a list of stations (on the tv monitor) when i choose internet radio from the remote. I can search for stations either by searching nation/city/station name or manually bu searching with entering text. A third way is by logging to vtuner (radiomarantz.com from the pc), finding the station, storing it and then going back to the avr, choosing radiomarantz and playing the station already stored before. None of these work. I also unplugged the avr, and reset it but didnt fix it. The manual says it can play wma,mp3, mpeg-4 stations. I am not sure what is pandora. What concerns me is that this station shows up on the lists i mentioned and according to marantz only stations that can be reproduced show up. I dont know how the stations show up, i mean is there a platform these stations are registered? Do you know what is SHOUT?
Pandora is an Internet radio streaming service, that I don't use.

I have never heard of shout.

However from what you say, I would be certain you can not decode the codec the radio station is now using. This is a really common problem now. Even MPEG and mp3 etc evolve.

Your problem is that although it says you can receive the station, which you can, but you cant decode it, and therefore can not hear it.

I try and avoid as many third parties in my streaming mix as possible.

If you have a computer, download VLC media player and play it from that. That will work for sure.

VLC is a wonderful media player and does not cost you anything.

The technical changes are coming thick and fast these days, and boxes like receivers etc are now hopeless for streaming.

In my view good computers are an essential part of home audio/AV systems, and for professional ones as well for that matter.

I designed and built the computers in my rig.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
In my view good computers are an essential part of home audio/AV systems, and for professional ones as well for that matter.
+1

My HT setup has had an actual tower PC in it for 10+ years. I was way ahead of the curve on that!

Wireless keyboard and wireless trackball makes it very easy to get comfy on the couch and use this setup easily.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

+1

My HT setup has had an actual tower PC in it for 10+ years. I was way ahead of the curve on that!

Wireless keyboard and wireless trackball makes it very easy to get comfy on the couch and use this setup easily.
I have you beaten there, 2002 for me. The unit is still active!

The 2002 unit is the audio workstation from 2002. The DAC is the blue unit. The computer does not contain a sound card.

The HTPC from 2013 is the unit in the rack to the right and is the unit above the grey UPS for that rack.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The DAC is the blue unit. The computer does not contain a sound card.
Yes, another good decision and a place where I agree. For sound quality, an internal sound card hasn't been up to snuff, in my experience.

How do you have it connected to the DAC? Optical? Digi-coax?

Another area where we agree, USB for audio is my last choice.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Yes, another good decision and a place where I agree. For sound quality, an internal sound card hasn't been up to snuff, in my experience.

How do you have it connected to the DAC? Optical? Digi-coax?

Another area where we agree, USB for audio is my last choice.
Sorry for the tardy reply, we have been out most of the day with the grandchildren.

The DAC is connected to the mother board, with Firewire 800 and the DAC has a Toslink SDIF and an analog connection to the pre/pro.

There is also a digital connection from a pro CD player to the RME Fireface 800. The workstation also has a pro Plextor CD dirive/burner.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis