Interference from mobile CB on my sound system

5dollaralien

5dollaralien

Enthusiast
Hi all,
new here with a question.
Every now and then when a certain car goes by I get a very powerful interference from there cb which they are obviously using a powerful amplifier, sounds just like when you are using a cb and all of sudden someone cuts you off with the high pitched signal that sounds like it is a very big hall. This will come thru my speakers whether the amp is on or not. A few times when the system was on it actually overloaded it and shut it down.
What I have done so far is install out of necessity a new outlet with a earth ground of course, most of my house is still in the process of being rewired by me as I can. It is a 1940's house with 1940's wiring. There is new electric service and about 50% new wiring.
This is the only problem I have and was wondering if anyone has any ideas.
I have looked at this article on this site....
Bulletproofing Your System from Interference
but I cannot afford to buy all these cables

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi all,
new here with a question.
Every now and then when a certain car goes by I get a very powerful interference from there cb which they are obviously using a powerful amplifier, sounds just like when you are using a cb and all of sudden someone cuts you off with the high pitched signal that sounds like it is a very big hall. This will come thru my speakers whether the amp is on or not. A few times when the system was on it actually overloaded it and shut it down.
What I have done so far is install out of necessity a new outlet with a earth ground of course, most of my house is still in the process of being rewired by me as I can. It is a 1940's house with 1940's wiring. There is new electric service and about 50% new wiring.
This is the only problem I have and was wondering if anyone has any ideas.
I have looked at this article on this site....
Bulletproofing Your System from Interference
but I cannot afford to buy all these cables

First of all it is not possible for the sound to come through your speakers if the amps are truly off.

However, it is most likely the speakers leads picking up the CB signal and feeding it though the amps negative feedback circuits.

I would bet that CB is illegal.

See if you can get the number of the vehicle and have the police pull it over for examination.

That sort of RF interference could cause some serious problems if the vehicle goes close to a hospital for instance. It may also be posing a serious risk to individuals with pacemakers and internal defibrillators for instance.

For the record I should define truly off. That means the AC plug from your receiver or any external amps and sub woofer pulled out.

The speakers can be connected to your receiver or amps. If you speakers are powered or active, it means also pulling those AC cords from the wall also.

Any unit plugged in these days can to. be assumed to be truly off. If that CB is the type of dangerous rogue unit I suspect then it could kick circuits out of standby and kick on auto on circuits. CB radios are analog and powerful illegal broad band analog signals can cause modern circuits to do very strange things.

You must follow up on this as a citizen responsibility.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

You might find this Wikipedia post of relevance to your situation.

This is the most relevant section: -

In the past, FCC actions against violations of regulations was minimal. This was often cited as the reason for many of the problems that have plagued the Citizens' Band radio service.

In recent years, the FCC has had a renewed interest in enforcement against "freebanding," the sale and use of illegally modified radios and linear amplifiers. Usually, the FCC issues a notice of apparent liability, a citation of violations of the commission's rules and regulations. If the violator responds in a timely manner to the notice, the resolution usually involves a cease-and-desist order. Failure to respond to the commission may provoke a $10,000 fine, seizure of the equipment used, and suspension of licenses in other FCC-regulated services.

Many actions have been taken against freebanding operation between 26 and 30 MHz, including those on military and government allocations adjacent to the Citizen's Band, and on the amateur radio 10-meter band (28-29.7 MHz). Actions have also been taken against retailers in the United States for selling linear amplifiers and non-type approved equipment in violation of the commission's rules.
If you can't get the license plate number, I would notify the FTC in any case.

I would be 99.9% certain that radio causing your interference falls into the category described above.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I used to have a problem with my modem getting knocked off line from CB radios. I solved it by putting a choke on the telephone cord close to where it plugged into the modem.

You could try getting a couple of chokes and trying them on your speaker wires. I'd probably try them on the amplifier side first.

Jim

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I used to have a problem with my modem getting knocked off line from CB radios. I solved it by putting a choke on the telephone cord close to where it plugged into the modem.

You could try getting a couple of chokes and trying them on your speaker wires. I'd probably try them on the amplifier side first.

Jim
Its probably beyond that stage if it makes the unit shut down! That CB needs shutting down.

5dollaralien

5dollaralien

Enthusiast
The receiver and everything else is plugged in, and probably in standby like you say. The guy used to come down the road quite often, but on our road it is only 25mph limit but everyone does much more. But now it is so random that it happens it is hard to get up and see, I have tried. Yeah it will shut the receiver down when this happens.
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, I will try some more to find out atleast what kind of car and then go from there.
Also I have no antenna hooked up for the receivers radio, do not use it.
Yeah I am sure it is very illegal, We used to live next door to a person in which I knew he was running a amp, this was 30 years ago, it used to come thru our tv set and my Dad was furious and was always trying to hook up filters and such to make it stop, the only way it stopped was to report him cause he never stopped when asked. It finally all of sudden stopped and never happened again???

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis