Intel Processor which 1??

S

Stereoguy

Audioholic
Hi: I've looked at Intel web site and I'm trying to decide whether I should get an I3 or I5 processor? I use my CPU to do all basic functions email,use word,excel,surf the net,do a little photo editing,rip movies,music,etc . I want to use it as a HTPC now also run itunes better that my current CPU does(specs on current CPU are as follows: 2.66ghz single core,1.5gb ram ddr400,gforce 6200 video card 256mb,generic sound card ) running Window XP Pro. I'm trying to decide between a I3-540/I5-660 Intel based system would be a major step up from what I currently have but would it be enough? I'd use 4gb of ddr3 ram,a good video card with 512/1gb, sound-blaster audio card,etc. My question is should I get an I3 or I5 processor for what I'm going to use it for thanks for any help!!!

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Here are benchmarks for most processors. Unless your encoding or did audio or video editing, the I3 is more than sufficient. If your building you might find that you will not want either chip and choose something that offers close to the same performance for a lot less of price.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
While I agree with bandphan.
Here are couple of my toughs:
1) Why Intel and not AMD ?
2) I think Itunes on windows platform has been purposely messed with. (http://www.airtightinteractive.com/2008/02/why-is-itunes-so-fcking-slow/)
3) Building HTPC? I'd start looking at the form factor/case first before picking cpu as it can limit your choices.
4) Lower series ATI Radeon HD 5xxx card will be great replacement for your aging Geforce 6200

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Step 1
Get rid of iTunes if you are running a Windows system.
Step 2
Upgrade your 6200 to an ATI 5450.
Step3
Thank me for the money and headache I just saved you.

S

Stereoguy

Audioholic
While I agree with bandphan.
Here are couple of my toughs:
1) Why Intel and not AMD ?
2) I think Itunes on windows platform has been purposely messed with. (http://www.airtightinteractive.com/2008/02/why-is-itunes-so-fcking-slow/)
3) Building HTPC? I'd start looking at the form factor/case first before picking cpu as it can limit your choices.
4) Lower series ATI Radeon HD 5xxx card will be great replacement for your aging Geforce 6200
A friend who has his own computer business told me that Intel is a better(reliable processor) I know AMD is much less expense than Intel for a comparable unit is the main reason for one over the other, also is Intel better to run word & excel,etc? I'm not a big gamer(hockey mainly) I use my PS-3 for games mostly.

S

Stereoguy

Audioholic
Step 1
Get rid of iTunes if you are running a Windows system.
Step 2
Upgrade your 6200 to an ATI 5450.
Step3
Thank me for the money and headache I just saved you.
Not a option roommate needs it for ipod!!!! unless there is something that can be used instead of itunes for it?????

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
A friend who has his own computer business told me that Intel is a better(reliable processor) I know AMD is much less expense than Intel for a comparable unit is the main reason for one over the other, also is Intel better to run word & excel,etc? I'm not a big gamer(hockey mainly) I use my PS-3 for games mostly.
Sorry to break it t you but that comment sounds ignorant and fan-boyish if I've ever heard such a comment. AMD is just as reliable as Intel. AMD gets the vote from me in the bang for the buck department. I'm not saying that Intel is bad (I have 2 Intel CPU's) but if price is a concern then AMD is the way to go. However you also have to consider a platform change when calculating expenses.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Bunch of hogwash and old ladies tales.
Intel and AMD processors have their own pro's and cons but none of them has anything to do with reliability.
I work in small IT shop for multi-billion dollar financial company and I get to pick and choose all desktops and servers configs. Trust me - last thing on my mind is which cpu brand is better :D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Not a option roommate needs it for ipod!!!! unless there is something that can be used instead of itunes for it?????
I'd consider Mac Mini - they could serve as good htpc as well, not lacking in power or form :D

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
MEDIA MONKEY :D Twonky for the server;) Again no offense to mac users, but IMHO itunes sucks. Ive always championed MAC as a great tool, but of late their self imposed "control" irks me. Lack of flash support for their two mobile mediums is mind boggling. ( I know it not I tunes) DRM is way out of control:rolleyes:;):mad:

jinjuku

jinjuku

In the price range you are looking at and for your listed uses your best $$ spent is the AMD Athlon II X4 600e.

It's a 45 watt CPU vs the i3 you are looking at which is 73 watts. Easier to cool and easier to keep quiet.

AM3 mainboards are on average less expensive also.

Plus the AM3 socket is going to have a longer life span allowing you to in the future drop in one of the AMD 6 core offerings when they do a 32nm refresh with low TPD.

Add a $30 Radeon 5450 and you are set.

S

Stereoguy

Audioholic
Thanks I now will look at more systems and ask more questions about my choices once I narrow it down a bit more!!! Again thanks for the help!!!

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
MEDIA MONKEY :D Twonky for the server;) Again no offense to mac users, but IMHO itunes sucks. Ive always championed MAC as a great tool, but of late their self imposed "control" irks me. Lack of flash support for their two mobile mediums is mind boggling. ( I know it not I tunes) DRM is way out of control:rolleyes:;):mad:
iTunes actually isn't that bad ON A MAC.

S

Stereoguy

Audioholic
Dual Core vs Quad Core?

Moving closer to a decision. Now trying to decide on processor(it never ends,LOL:rolleyes:) What are the pro's of Quad vs Dual core??? Also what would be a good networking card so that CPU can be "seen" by my PS-3 slim?? Thanks as usual!!!:)

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Your new motherboard will have an integrated nic, so there is no need to buy another network card. And there is really no point in not getting a quad considering the price differences are miniscule, and the additional cores certainly can't hurt. If you use a lot of multithreaded apps or plan on doing video encoding or something you shouldn't consider anything less than a quad.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Moving closer to a decision. Now trying to decide on processor(it never ends,LOL:rolleyes:) What are the pro's of Quad vs Dual core??? Also what would be a good networking card so that CPU can be "seen" by my PS-3 slim?? Thanks as usual!!!:)
Onboard NIC will do just fine.

Quad vs Dual Core....Quad will run hotter, use a lot more power, but also provide a lot more performance.

I don't know what line of CPU's you are looking at but the new i5 and i7 lines have very nice power saving and performance abilities so that even single threaded apps run MUCH faster than similarly clocked CPU's from the last generation.

I wouldn't say 100% get a quad, but if you can afford the added expense of the initial purchase and the additional power it will use and if its not going in a cabinet or somewhere with limited air circulation then go for it!

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
AMD has quads with TDPs of 45 (athlon) and 65 watts (phenom).

jinjuku

jinjuku

AMD has quads with TDPs of 45 (athlon) and 65 watts (phenom).
++ That.

For the record: My HTPC is based on a Sempron 140 running Windows 7 / 2GB RAM just fine.

My server is the machine I rip on. You can go for a budget Phenom II X4 for dirt cheap that will rip and encode PDQ.

S

Stereoguy

Audioholic
Here is 1 of my choices

Power Supply: Cooler Master Extreme Power plus 600W Power Supply (RS600-PCARE3-US)

Case: CSCO000583 Cooler Master Elite 310

Motherboard: Asus P7P55D-E Socket 1156 Intel P55 Chipset Crossfire & SLI Dual-Channel DDR3 2200/1600/1333/1066Mhz GigaLAN 8-Ch HD Audio 2 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 Slots 2x SATA 6.0 Gb/s+6x SATA 3.0 Gb/s Ports 2x USB 3.0+12x USB 2.0 ATX

Processor: Intel Core i5 650 Dual-Core Socket LGA1156, 3.20 GHz, 4MB L3 Cache, 32nm (Retail Boxed) (BX80616I5650)

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black (WD1002FAEX) 1000GB (1TB) SATA3 7200RPM 64MB Cache (OEM)

Memory: Kingston Value Ram 4GB (2x2GB) 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM (KVR1333D3N9K2/4G)

DVD-RW: DVPI000399 Pioneer DVR-218LBK-SATA

Video Card: VCEVOO1266 EVGA GeForce GF 210 512MB PCI-X

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 Surround Sound Card (VARPack) (30SB057000000)

Mouse & Key Board: Wireless Logitech??

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (OEM) ($109.00)

The other processor I'm looking at is an I5-760 Quad core(2.8 GHz) if the motherboard above etc are able to handle it it is only $36.00 more up here in Canada is it worth it between these 2? Thanks again

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis