Integrated Amplifier Question

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I have an 80s Sony receiver (STR-VX22) in my video system in our living room. The speakers are Boston Acoustic T1000 tower speakers (thier top model when I bought them in the 80s). I am considering replacing the Sony receiver with an integrated amp. Half of my DVD's are concerts, and I do use the DVD player (Sony DVP-N725) as a CD player occasionally.

After MUCH searching on the internet, I have found two integrated amps that retail for $250 and that are 65-75/watts per channel at 4ohms. Both are MOSFET amps. One is the Pioneer Elite A35R, and the other is the TEAC A-1D.

Does anyone know anything about either of these amps? There are no dealers anywhere near where I live, and I would rather not buy one based on specs alone.

My other option is to get another receiver. Are there any receivers out there for $250 that would sound any better than the 80s Sony? I realize that most receivers do not sound that great. I have Hafler separates in my bedroom music system, so I do appreciate a good amp. That is why I am interested in the TEAC and the Pioneer Elite.

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
For another choice add the Yamaha AX series am to your list, quite high dynamics with accurate sound.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
Yamahaluver said:
For another choice add the Yamaha AX series amp to your list, quite high dynamics with accurate sound.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
1) There are many receivers out there that would sound better than the Sony, especially if you can stretch that budget to about $300 (consider Onkyo, Denon, H/K to name a few)

2) Check the NAD C320BEE. Should be your best bet. No surround receiver should give you the performance of an integrated in this price range (especially the NAD)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis