Integrated Amp recommendations

J

Josh784

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I put together a stereo about 6 months ago, and have been very happy with the experience compared to cheaper equipment I had heard before.  Now I'm looking at making a few upgrades to my system, and need some opinions.

Currently I have a pair of Axiom M2i's, a Yamaha HTR-5550 receiver, Pioneer SACD player (the cheap one) and a Velodyne VX-10 sub.

I'm not too happy with the performance of the sub, but for $155 it has worked well.  It sounds a little boomy and lacks detail.  On the other hand, My receiver was only $200, so I figure I could get much better quality sound out of my speakers if I go to a good quality integrated amp, as I won't be doing anything more than stereo in the near future.

This brings me to my first question: would I notice a big improvement with a decent-good quality integrated amp compared to the Yamaha receiver I have now?  I was thinking of something in the $600 range (+ or -).  Would I be better to first go to a better sub?  If I do this, I have been looking at HSU subs.

I will eventually buy an integrated amp, and when I do, what would you recommend in the $600 range?  The room I currently have my speakers set up in is 12x12x10.  There is a possibility that in the future I will move the system into a bigger room, and buy some bigger speakers.

Thanks for your help,
Josh</font>

B

Biggus Dickus

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Dude, don't go spending money that doesn't need to be spent. Why spend $600 on an amp? I have a Yamaha RX-V630 running Wharfedale Diamond 8.3's, and it's loud and clean. My sub is a Velodyne CT-120 ($250 eBay), that kicks the crap out of my room (18x12). So, having said all that, what is wrong with your receiver? HTR Yamaha's are good receivers. If anything, i'd get a better sub. But, don't spend more than you need too.</font>

J

Josh784

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I was under the impression that I could get better quality sound by going to a good amp...

Nothing wrong with the Yamaha, but I thought if I went to something nicer I would get better sound.

Josh</font>

B

Biggus Dickus

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Well, &quot;better sound&quot; is subjective. I mean, what sounds good to me, might sound horrible to you. And, vice-versa. I still say you have a good receiver. I'll also say, i've been reading how Yamaha's claimed power ratings are not what they say. And, Harman Kardon's are. I've been thinking about maybe getting a H/K. But, my Yamaha still sounds great.</font>

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
<font color='#000000'>Reread your post.

By replacing your receiver you just might (note the &quot;jusy might&quot;)get a little (note the &quot;little&quot;) better performance from your mains but your dissatisfaction with your sub will remain.

If I were in your situation, I would strongly consider getting a much better sub, even if it meant postponing your purchase until the needed funds became available.</font>

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>If your main concern is your sub, then that's what you need to replace.  

What kind of cable do you have running to your sub?  I originally had RCA brand from Best Buy and replaced that with Cobalt Cable and it made a big difference.  You don't have to spend much on cable, but make sure you have a decent one.

FYI: I just bought a NAD C370 integrated that I'm loving.  If you don't need this much power (120x2, 210 dynamic), check out the c350 and the c320...they're more affordable than you may think.  Maybe a sub and an amp could be in order if you save up a bit?
(Look at soundcity.com. &nbsp;This is where I got my c370 on open box. &nbsp;They should have 1 or 2 left)

As for subs, this is the one I own and the place from which I bought it.  Great sub, great price:
http://www.reliableaudiovideo.com/pindigsubnew.html

Good Luck</font>

A. Vivaldi

A. Vivaldi

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>You certainly can get a better sounding amp, but for $600 it would only be a small step up. One amp that I've owned and has received great reviews is the NAD C-320 BEE integrated. NAD has one of the most honest power ratings in the business, and it's 50W per channel is probably an understatement. Don't worry, this amp sounds strong, and unless you have a huge room, it will give you more than enough power. Price? $399. It would leave you with $200 to save towards a better sub. Check out the reviews for this one on the net. I doubt you'll find a comparable review for your current Yamaha. Speaking of Yamaha, they also make a integrated amp, which is supposedly 100W P/C, and is more expensive than the NAD, but I've heard nothing about it. Cambridge Audio also makes a nice integrated from what I heard. It's around the same price as the NAD I think. You may be able to take a big step up if you buy used. Look for used integrateds by Rotel, Arcam, or Creek. You'll notice that most Integrateds nowadays have lower watts. If all you want is 2-channel don't worry, there's nothing more hyped up in audio then wattage. My Arcam that I replaced my NAD with is only 40W, and sounds great in my small room. It's a little better sounding than the NAD, but I would hesitate to recommend it if you have a big room and listen to a lot of hard rock. It's price is $599 but I got a good trade in for it. Do some research, you may get lucky.  ...and oh yes, you gotta get a better sub!</font>

J

Josh784

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>How much am I going to have to spend to make a big step up? &nbsp;I have been reading about tube amps, but I still don't totally understand their advantage. &nbsp;One disadvantage seems to be that you have to let them warm up. &nbsp;I was reading a review of one that was very highly praised, and it was about $800.</font>

A. Vivaldi

A. Vivaldi

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Josh784 : How much am I going to have to spend to make a big step up?  I have been reading about tube amps, but I still don't totally understand their advantage.  One disadvantage seems to be that you have to let them warm up.  I was reading a review of one that was very highly praised, and it was about $800.
Tube amps have a different sound that some people like. There supposed to be nice on the mids and highs but not so great on the bass. I've never heard or owned one so I can't comment. The tube amp you read about for $800 is really cheap, as most I've read about are around $2000 for the average quality! I wouldn't recommend messing around with them unless you have lots of money and no children or pets! As for what I think is a big step up as far as integrated amps are concerned? Around $1200 to $1500. Rotel, Creek, Denon, and Arcam all make nice integrateds at these price ranges. Anything more than that wouldn't be worth it in my opinion. As I said you may be able to find some of this stuff used for around your price range.</font>

J

Josh784

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the help. &nbsp;I think I will take your advise and buy a new subwoofer first, while keeping an eye out for the used brands you mentioned.

Thanks again,
Josh</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Yamaha makes some mighty fine integrated amps and have been doing so for as long as they have been in this field. Yamaha amps have been given great reviews by the Eurpoean press and the AX-596 is a real heavy monster, with chunky power supply capable of driving low impedance speakers with ease. It also features massive over-sized caps and transistors giving it a real good dynamic rating and even at full volume, the Yamaha retains its musicality.

Yamaha also makes a high end Class A AX-1092 which is a massive dual mono beast rated at 200WPC, if you can find this amp and shell out the money for it, you have a real gem on your hand.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis