Install Acoustic Panel or Dyrwall with insulation?

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
Hi,

I need some help so here is my scenario:

I have some nasty echo (reverb?) that not only affects the sound quality from my sound system but also any conversation in general. This problem is compounded because of the laminate floor I installed (I regret taking out the carpet) which made the problem worse.

The house is already finished. The back wall in my living room is about 20' x 8' (w x h) and is just below grade so the wall comes up about 2ft high where the cement blocks (foundation) finish then the stud frame starts. So the base is about 4" thicker for the first 2 ft. than the rest wall.

I wanted to install some acoustic panels against the back wall (outside wall) behind the sitting area where we watch tv. I was planning on getting 24x48" panels with 4" thinkness and install chesthigh so the panels wouldn't stick out further than the base, almost blending in the background.

My question is since I have a 4" cavity could I not just get some mineral wool/acoustic installation and just put drywall overtop while lining up the base and the new stud frame to appear as one flat wall ? Would I still get similar absorption results or would the drywall simply be too hard and simply the bounce the sound again?

Thanks in advance,

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
but. you could put the mineral wool in the wall. and cover it with cloth.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis