JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Has anyone heard/read anything on this receiver Insignia IS-HC04091...Hey I'm poor but I need a new reciever.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
JohnA said:
Has anyone heard/read anything on this receiver Insignia IS-HC04091...Hey I'm poor but I need a new reciever.
how poor is poor budget wise. Pioneer 815tx can be had for like $250 and will destroy the insignia. Insignia is that best buy sells as the generic receiver. I thought it was funny, on the shelves of the store near me, they have both Insignia's setting next to the Pioneer 1015tx and the 815tx, good marketing b/c as soon as they start messing with insignia, then look at whats right next to it, the decision is made.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Spiffyfast said:
how poor is poor budget wise. Pioneer 815tx can be had for like $250 and will destroy the insignia. Insignia is that best buy sells as the generic receiver. I thought it was funny, on the shelves of the store near me, they have both Insignia's setting next to the Pioneer 1015tx and the 815tx, good marketing b/c as soon as they start messing with insignia, then look at whats right next to it, the decision is made.
Poor is poor...With a home remodel (daughters room, bath, kitchen, entry and Master bed) I have very little to spend...I'm thinking I just need to save my pennies and wait.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
It looks like a KLH that is rebranded. Does anybody know if that's true? It would fit as it seems to be the same quality and price :D

For super cheap decent receivers, the sherwood name continues to come up. The digital panasonics also have been spoken of positively.

Pat

patnshan said:
It looks like a KLH that is rebranded. Does anybody know if that's true? It would fit as it seems to be the same quality and price
Well, I can just about guarantee that Best Buy doesn't have their own product managers flying to China working on a custom line of receivers... haha.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
Clint DeBoer said:
Well, I can just about guarantee that Best Buy doesn't have their own product managers flying to China working on a custom line of receivers... haha.
That's what I thought

Pat

C

collin

Audiophyte
i still haven't used or heard the insignia receiver at best buy but did take a close look at it in the store. the unit is solidly built for a budget receiver. inside, you can see that there is a toroidal transformer (at least, it is circular, not square), what looks like discrete output devices mounted to a heat sink running the full depth of the unit. the buttons have a quite firm click to them, not the mushy feel of most cheap electronics buttons, but i think this will make them pretty durable.

the feature list looks good...DD EX, DTS ES, ProLogic II.

I don't think anybody here has actually heard the unit, so take that criticism with a grain of salt.

I used to have a Sherwood 6108 that I got for $70 and it did quite well sonically and would hold up to receivers costing 2-3x as much. Great midrange and the highs, while somewhat lacking in delicacy and detail, were not harsh or objectionable.

J

JJMP50

Full Audioholic
Cheap

I would go with the Pioneer 515. It is the same chassis as the 815 but 5.1 instead of 7.1 and you can pick one up for around $150. It isn't as flexable on the back panel, but we're looking for cheap and quality: two items that are in constant conflict.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
i still haven't used or heard the insignia receiver at best buy but did take a close look at it in the store. the unit is solidly built for a budget receiver. inside, you can see that there is a toroidal transformer (at least, it is circular, not square), what looks like discrete output devices mounted to a heat sink running the full depth of the unit. the buttons have a quite firm click to them, not the mushy feel of most cheap electronics buttons, but i think this will make them pretty durable.
the feature list looks good...DD EX, DTS ES, ProLogic II.
I've heard it. Your Sherwood is miles above this unit. It has no bottom end, most likely due to it's underpowered 6 channel amp. Insignia rates this unit at 100x6, but look a little closer. It's rated at a whopping 1% distortion, and at 1000Hz. If this unit were rated correctly, at .05% thd and 20-20,000, my bet is it may be pushing 25 watts into each channel. A 6 channel amp that doesn't even weigh 20lbs won't do your surround sound justice unless you are runnign some Klipsch bookshelves at 101dB. (and does anyone know if these ratings are at 6 ohms? I bet they are). There's not even one component in or out on this unit. My advice - save your money and buy a 2 yr old HK (or any mid level name brand) model off ebay. Please.

BTW, where's the unit on their website? Is it that pathetic they don't even list it? http://www.insignia-products.com/?DCMP=KNC-TLC&ref=25&loc=PCA

I would recommend you call Insignia and get the facts on this unit, and some better ratings, before plopping down your hard earned money.
For phone support in the USA and Canada for all Insignia™ Products, please call 877-467-4289. Our call center answers your requests 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
The mailing address for Insignia Products is 7601 Penn Avenue South, Richfield, MN 55423-3645.

I'm not slamming Insignia. I'm merely pointing out some specs. My parents have a $400 Emachine (form Best Buy) PC they use daily, and it works wonderfully. I do think, though, that Emachine is Gateway's sister company. That may explain the reliability. Plus, I've installed quite a few programs to avoid virus'. I'm all for getting the best bang for your buck, but I'd rather see you have a substantial unit for <$150 which can easily be found slightly used.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for all the input, esp. Buckeye. I might as well save up and buy something that I will be happy with.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Entry Level AVR

I would check for an entry level Onkyo or yamaha receiver. The Onkyo 503/502 can be had refurbished for less than $200.
Also you can find the Yamaha HTR-5740 for about $200 or the HTR-5730 for less.
These companies build high end receivers and some of the technology and features trickles down to these low end models.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis