inherited speakers and tv, need recomendations.

B

branden

Audiophyte
So, as it says, i've inherited a hitachi ultravision and a set of sony speakers (two fronts(ss-u542av), two rears(ss-u64), and a center(ss-cn64)).

Now this is clearly a pretty old setup, and it's probably not really very high quality. However..it was 100% free so i'm not about to complain or turn it down.

So, what I am missing is a receiver to power the speakers..I really didnt need this system in the first place, but since i have it i'd like to make it work..however i'm not really interested in spending over 200 for the receiver. anyone have any suggestions for me?

Also..whats the possibilty of finding a cheap but decent sub?

Thanks for any help.
Branden.

howie85

howie85

Full Audioholic
spend more on the sub you will get better performance

B

branden

Audiophyte
that seems like a pretty good deal, i'll probably go with that receiver..although it is ugly as piss.

I was looking at a bunch in the 150-200 range on jr.com and i just couldnt really tell much difference between any of them.

Thanks a lot for the help..when I get some more money scraped up i may be back to ask some more questions.

B

Blundaar

Audioholic
What type/size/model is your Hitachi? I love mine and have no intention of replacing it for a long, long, time.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Low end Yamaha and Onkyo

Lower end models from Yamaha (HTR-5840) and Onkyo (502) are in your receiver price range. You can also find great deals on last years models and factory refurbished receivers on some sites like ecost.com.
If you plan on upgrading the speakers in the future, then consider a more expensive receiver. Also, check the speaker threads for some info on inexpensive subwoofers.

C

claudermilk

Full Audioholic
Don't forget ubid.com, it's been good to audioholics lately.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis