Information overload on HT system

moggi1964

moggi1964

Audioholic
Equipment list:

32" Olevia HDTV (I know it's small)
Onkyo 917H upconverting DVD (I know it is old)

I would like to buy a 5.1 setup and am not adverse to seperate components (raher than a package).

My budget is low at $500 and of course at this level the Onkyo equipment looks tempting.

In time I would like to upgrade the TV and DVD so I should likely be looking for HDMI I suspect.

The room is 15'x12' if that adds anything and I would need to get speaker stands for the 'surround speakers' at minimum (maybe ALL speakers).

My first thought is the Onkyo HTR750 @ $500 though it seems to be unavailable at present and the alternative is the HDMI passthrough Onkyo SR800 which is $420.

I have spent three days on and off searching for HT wisdom and have become overwhelmed. Your assistance is appreciated.

Thank you.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
HDMI on a receiver does absolutely nothing for you in terms of quality improvement, outside of obtaining lossless audio from either BluRay or HD-DVD. Even if you were obtaining lossless, you are still better of spending first where electrical energy is converted to mechanical energy: the speakers and sub.

So, that being said, if I was only limited to HTIB, modest budget, and had to have all pieces at once, I would look at the Onkyo THX 990 being had for $700 or less.

You can be guaranteed that others will chime in and just convince you to build pieces at a time, ie receiver + pair of speakers, then sub, etc...

moggi1964

moggi1964

Audioholic
I hadn't looked at that model but will do so now.

I will be interested to see what others suggest ESPCIALLY if they go component by component being as my budget is so low.

BY the way I will have Verizon FIOS coming shortly too if that makes any difference to what you would suggest :confused:

Thank you.

Last edited:
moggi1964

moggi1964

Audioholic
So, not being one to either wait for info or stick to a budget I wondered about this setup:

Athena - LS-300 Tower Speaker - $400 for two pairs

Athena - LSC-100 Center Speaker - $100

Yamaha RX-V663 - I have heard a phone call to J&R gets it for $400

0r

Onkyo TX-SR605 - $400

A subwoofer will have to come later.

For almost twice the price of my earlier option, how does it compare?

moggi1964

moggi1964

Audioholic
Receiver ordered from J&R at a fantastic price compared to the competition.

The ordering proicess has got to be the most smooth I have ever done; on and off in less than 5 minutes.

Now the speakers :)

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Athena speakers

I have some Athena Audition series speakers and still use them in the garage. They are good budget speakers. The only problem you might have is getting matching surround speakers since the line is being discontinued. You might consider getting the bookshelf speaker for fronts to stay in budget or get 2 pairs to complete the HT for about $200/pair. If you are not planning on BluRay in the new furtue, you can probably save $100 or more on the receiver. You might also be able to find the Yamaha RX-V661 model (older w/ HDMI) for <$400.

moggi1964

moggi1964

Audioholic
jc,

I put a post in speakers and got lots of good replies there.

I have decided to go with 4 LS300 Athena and 1 LSC100 Athena and then save up for a subwoofer.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Total cost to my door for Yamaha 663 receiver (J&R) and Athena speakers (Audioadvisor): $899

Now THAT is a good deal in my books :D

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Before you go with the Athena speakers ...

jc,

I have decided to go with 4 LS300 Athena and 1 LSC100 Athena and then save up for a subwoofer.

....:D
Look at Cambridge Audio S30. They sell for around $219 per pair and are better than the Klipsh Athena.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Receiver ordered from J&R at a fantastic price compared to the competition.

The ordering proicess has got to be the most smooth I have ever done; on and off in less than 5 minutes.

Now the speakers :)
Agreed, I ordered a RX-V663 from Alex at J&R yesterday, and it was super easy. Can't beat that receiver for $400 shipped from a factory authorized dealer.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis