Infocus 4805 and HDCP via DVI

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
Hello,

I have an Infocus Screenplay 4805 and am currently using a Pioneer DV-C503 multidisc DVD player. I am using component cables. I am pleased with the image but would like to have higher resolution. Sometimes during large bright white images, I can see a slight screendoor effect. I know with the Pioneer player I am maxing out the video capabilites through its component outputs, which if I understand correctly, is giving me component 480i to the projector. If I was to upgrade to either the Denon DV-1910 or DV-2910 and used the DVI output of the player and the DVI input of the projector would I be able to use 720p or 1080i from any DVD I play or am I limited to the projector's resolution of 854 X 480(16 X 9)? If I am limited by the projector's resolution, would the inputs make much or any difference. Also I have about a 25' run from the player area to the projector, is this a distance problem for DVI connections? If anyone has the same or a similar setup, let me know your thoughts and opinions. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Screen door is the space between individual pixels that you see. If you have an incredibly high resolution - say 1920x1080, but it has large gaps between those pixels, you will see the screen door effect even if you feed it perfect 1920x1080 material.

So, do you see the screen door, or do you see the individual pixels and have pixelization issues?

Quite often the answer to screen door is to get further away from your screen. You should not be closer than 1.5 times the width of the screen while watching HDTV, so if you have a 80" wide screen, you should be no closer than 10 feet. But, with DVD and the lower resolution of your screen, you should be a little further away for optimal resolution detail. The added distance helps to make the screen door effect disappear as well as pixelization.

My opinion is that upconverting DVD players are a scam. A good progressive scan DVD player is the way to go when you want the best video off of a disc. The disc doesn't have 720p or 1080i on it - it has 480i. If you upconvert to 720p, your projector just brings it back to 480p. Send it 480p and it should produce about the best image you can hope for.

Not sure of the size of your screen, type of screen you have, or the viewing distance you are at though, so this is all stuff I have just noticed when working with front projection.

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
BMXTRIX,

Thanks for the post. I have a Da-Lite pull-down 92" widescreen with a gain of 1.0 I beleive is about 80" wide and 45" high. I sit 14' away from the screen. My current DVD player is not progressive. I see the gaps between the pixels, again only ocassionally and during times when large portions of the screen are white.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Hmmm, there really isn't a lot that I would think you could do with the image to improve it other than moving back. You can try defocussing the image ever so slightly which will blur the screen door effect.

Take a look at the reviews at www.projectorcentral.com - Unfortunately they don't go into their usual level of detail in the 'official' review of this projector which I think is a bummer considering how many people have bought it.

Peppy

Peppy

Junior Audioholic
As far that I know BMXTRIX is right on with the distance. We have a low end projector, X1 Infocus, and I'm using a low end Draper 100 inch white screen. From our first sofa we are about 10 feet from the screen and if you look for it, you can see the space, especialy with light or white color passage. But our secound sofa is closer to 13 feet and it's petty petty hard to see any "screen door effect" .

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis