Infinity SM 155....Familiar with?

R

Rixx

Audiophyte
I have got a chance to pick up a pair of these guys for 150.00. Guy states that they are in 'great shape'. Speaker foam is too.....

I think it's a no brainer.....just wanted another opinion.

THANKS!!

Rixx

A

Altec

Audiophyte
If I remember correctly they are the Infinitys with the 15' woofer built in them. Great speaker for rock & roll, especially driven at high volume levels! Not the most detailed speaker in the world if your into classical music etc. - but for the price your getting them for a good value if they're in decent shape. Again great speaker for hard driving rock music! Inspect the speakers for foam rot and the obvious signs of wear.

nwsalmon

nwsalmon

Enthusiast
I own the SM-152's and I'm happy with them. They are very big so make sure you have room for them. I'd also recommend putting spikes on them if you're placing them on carpet. They teeter a bit if you don't and they will sound a lot better too.

For $150 they are a steal. Lot's of speaker parts are available for them as well through eBay and other sites.

Enjoy the speakers.

J

jamie2112

Banned
I had a pair of the sm 155s years ago and they were great. They got really loud but were not very detailed. I guess 150 is a good deal so what the heck,do it. Enjoy, new toys are fun....:D

R

Rixx

Audiophyte
Got them...

Went and looked and listened tonight.....took me 1/2 second to pull out the 150.00. I felt guilty walking out the door.....they look, and sound like new. One small scratch (hardly noticeable) on the top of one speaker. Actually I felt it, rather than saw it.

Foam is in great shape...as well as the cones. No signs of dry rot, at all. It still feels flexible.

I looked on E bay...there was a pair on there that sold today for 385.00 w/ 100.00 shipping EACH. And they weren't near the shape these are in.

The mids and highs are good!! Bottom end leaves a little to be desired.

Just might have been the best 150.00 I ever spent. I always wanted to get back to Infinity's...bought my first ones , the RSB's around 80-81. I never forgot them.

Thanks for the help!!

Rixx

Matt34

Matt34

Went and looked and listened tonight.....took me 1/2 second to pull out the 150.00. I felt guilty walking out the door.....they look, and sound like new. One small scratch (hardly noticeable) on the top of one speaker. Actually I felt it, rather than saw it.

Foam is in great shape...as well as the cones. No signs of dry rot, at all. It still feels flexible.

I looked on E bay...there was a pair on there that sold today for 385.00 w/ 100.00 shipping EACH. And they weren't near the shape these are in.

The mids and highs are good!! Bottom end leaves a little to be desired.

Just might have been the best 150.00 I ever spent. I always wanted to get back to Infinity's...bought my first ones , the RSB's around 80-81. I never forgot them.

Thanks for the help!!

Rixx
Post some pics of them if you can, interested to see these things.

R

Rixx

Audiophyte
photo

These things rock.....Between playing with the amp, and the speakers, got them dialed in now. MUCH better.....

The 15's sounds like 15's now....kicking!

Here they are..... (not my speakers. mine aren't blk) They look as good though.

Grilles are in great shape too..... I'm one happy camper.

Rixx

nwsalmon

nwsalmon

Enthusiast
Very nice!

They appear to have the same speaker layout as my 152's.

That was a great deal for $150. I paid $300 for mine but I'm still very happy with them.

Enjoy!

S

sindbaad

Audiophyte
sm155 with not enough bass

Hi.,
I just got SM155 from someone and am using them as my front speakers in a home theater system with a Denon2808 7.1 surround sound amplifier. The speakers are in a perfect condition (better than the picture posted here). However, i am not getting the desirable bass from the speakers considering their 15inch driver. I have to trun the volume quite high (-10db) to get some bass which i dont like. My normal viewing audio level is (-25db) on a dolby digtal audio track. I normally have to turn the amplifier bass to full so that i can get a good bass otherwise i have to rely on my sub to do the job.
Somewhere i read that if you change the speaker wire connector pot, the bass doubles since the orginal connector pot from infinity are substandard according to the requirment of the large 15inch driver. I am not sure about it. Someone also suggested to get speaker box foaming done from a professional... I am not sure about it as well.... can anyone help me and solve my problem. or is it that i am expecting a lot considering the brand and the driver size whereas sm155 are not that bass generating speakers at lower volume level!! (though i really like the tweeter and the mid performance).

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis