B

Bluzrokker59

Audiophyte
I have got apair of Infinity SM 152's hooked up to a Yamaha MX-1000 power amp and a Yamaha CX-800 pre-amp. I am thinking about replacing the factory 15" woofers with a pair of SychoSound Deranged 4ohm car woofers to add some oomph to my system. Is this a good idea? If so , What else would I need to do?

Thanks,
Bluzrokker59

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I have got apair of Infinity SM 152's hooked up to a Yamaha MX-1000 power amp and a Yamaha CX-800 pre-amp. I am thinking about replacing the factory 15" woofers with a pair of SychoSound Deranged 4ohm car woofers to add some oomph to my system. Is this a good idea? If so , What else would I need to do?

Thanks,
Bluzrokker59
this is a bad idea.

1. Infinity makes better drivers than many other company's even there vintage stuff was very good for the time.

2. Drivers have to be built for their specific box. This is determined by the T/S parameters.

3. the kind of amp needed to drive a sub is different from a standard speaker.

You need a stable 2 ohm amp in some cases.

Now you are onto a great idea.

But I suggest you build new boxes for the subs. And use them as subs for your speakers. If you give me the T/S parameters I'd be happy to model you a box. I could also help you with any question you have on bracing and dampening such a box.

This approach will really add oomph.

You can even get a car audio shop to build you the boxes if you don't have the tools.

B

Bluzrokker59

Audiophyte
Infinity SM 152s

Deranged 15" Bass Sub woofer
650 Watts RMS & 1300 Watts Max per pair
20 - 4000 Hz Frequency Response
SPL @ 98db
4 Ohm Impedance
High Temperature 2" parabolic 4-Layer Aluminum Kapton Voice Coils
45 oz. Magnets with Rubber Protectors, Vented Pole Pieces and Bumper Plates
Sturdy Poly-Mica Cones iwth Butyl rubber Surrounds
Progressive Rolled Spiders
Die Cast Frames
Size: 15.25"
Enclosure Hole Size: 13.75"
Mounting Depth: 6"
Recommended Sealed Enclosure volume is 1.75 Cubic Feet per Chamber
MSRP: $109.99

Deranged 12" Woofer

I got these specs off of there website. Hopefully this is what you need. I don't know a lot about the technical aspects of speakers and such so I appreciate all the help I can get. I have a friend who has a wood working shop. I am sure he could make me some boxes. Also, What do you know about Cerwin Vegas. I see they have a dual 15 as well as two other single 15 models. Thanks for replying.

B

Bluzrokker59

Audiophyte
Deranged 15" Bass Sub woofer
650 Watts RMS & 1300 Watts Max per pair
20 - 4000 Hz Frequency Response
SPL @ 98db
4 Ohm Impedance
High Temperature 2" parabolic 4-Layer Aluminum Kapton Voice Coils
45 oz. Magnets with Rubber Protectors, Vented Pole Pieces and Bumper Plates
Sturdy Poly-Mica Cones iwth Butyl rubber Surrounds
Progressive Rolled Spiders
Die Cast Frames
Size: 15.25"
Enclosure Hole Size: 13.75"
Mounting Depth: 6"
Recommended Sealed Enclosure volume is 1.75 Cubic Feet per Chamber
MSRP: $109.99

Deranged 12" Woofer

I got these specs off of there website. Hopefully this is what you need. I think they have 75oz magnets not 45oz. I don't know a lot about the technical aspects of speakers and such so I appreciate all the help I can get. I have a friend who has a wood working shop. I am sure he could make me some boxes. Also, What do you know about Cerwin Vegas. I see they have a dual 15 as well as two other single 15 models. Thanks for replying.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I know you can't judge a book by it's cover, but those SychoSound Deranged woofers, and basically every product they carry seems to be OEM and cheap looking to boot. I would avoid it, I'd chance that there's much better available for not much more or less money.

It seems they don't divulge the TS parameters on that website.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis