P

planbx97

Enthusiast
Hello! Yesterday while on the way to buy some lighter fluid at the store I saw a pair of Infinity SM 150's on the side of the road for sale. I picked them up for a steal (accourding to recent prices I have noticed) of $5 each. I plugged them in too see if they worked and realized that the bass sounded absolutely horrible. I removed the grille and the foam around the cone of the woofer was completely gone. I think the driver for the woofer is still good, and the tweeters and mid's sound good still. Any suggestions with what i should do to repair the Woofer? Also, the Cabinet is quite damaged, can i replace that with new wood paneling or at a cabinet repair shop?
-Nathan

Last edited:
P

planbx97

Enthusiast
Pictures

Here are some pictures of the speakers mentioned.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

For fixing the surrounding foam, I'd recommend considering a repair foam re-edge kit like this one from Orange County Speaker. You'll just have to decide if it's worth $30 to try that out. The kit is good for two speakers.

P

planbx97

Enthusiast
Is it possible that the sound distortion is souly from the broken surround foam?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Is it possible that the sound distortion is souly from the broken surround foam?
I think so, but I'm no expert on that. There are people on the forum who are, though. They might not be on at the moment, so give it a little time.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I think so, but I'm no expert on that. There are people on the forum who are, though. They might not be on at the moment, so give it a little time.
Your correct Adam, unless there is a crossover issue; which could be visually inspected for a start. I have many clients with speakers pushing 40 years and the refoaming has been the only updates that have been done.

P

planbx97

Enthusiast
i removed the driver and what would i be looking for? or should i bring it to some sort of repair man or just post a picture

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I would look for corrosion-leaks around the caps, but more than likely the crossovers are fine.

P

planbx97

Enthusiast
i checked the crossovers and they looked fine. Is there any special technique or way to refoam the cone?

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
i checked the crossovers and they looked fine. Is there any special technique or way to refoam the cone?
The kits explain it pretty well. Also their may be local shops that do it, if your not comfotable (but most are)

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
I owned a pair of SM122's in the mid eighties- they were three ways with 12" woofers. They sounded wonderful, although the cabinets were pretty cheaply made. Your speakers are deffo worth putting some money into. Not sure how handy you are. If you are someone that is good at fixing things, buy the refoam kit. If you aren't, have them refoamed professionally. You could also look for replacement woofers on ebay. As for fixing the cabinets, that could be pricey to have a cabinet shop work on them. As far as trying to glue veneer to that old vinly covering, it pr'bly wouldn't work. I guess what I'm getting at is that those speakers are worth fixing, but not restoring- they weren't high end speakers back then- mostly due to the cheap cabinets.

G

grovers7200

Enthusiast
Hello was reading your issue with the sm 150's I have a pair in storage that I would be willing to part out if you need anything to get them jamming?? I run a pair of cerwin vegas at-15's from the 80's and the sm 150's will rock just as loud with thunderous bass!! Worth fixing!! Matt

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis