Infinity or Acoustic Research?

A

Andre_Magro

Audiophyte
Hi, I am Andre, from Brazil, and this is my first post in this forum. I’ve been visiting here sporadically for quite a time, and have read enough posts to know that some people here known A LOT about speakers!

I ask for a kind advice, from anyone willing to help.

I’ve decided to buy a Harman Kardon AVR 245 for my video and music room (small area). Now I need to choose the speakers.

I realize that most people here are advanced audioholics that would much prefer to buy separate specific speakers for subwoofer, center channel, left and right, etc... But me, because of my small knowledge and my (also small) space, I have already decided to buy a Set.

I live in a small town, and will have to buy without listening to it first! (Work and Family, won’t give me the indulgence of a trip just to choose speakers). In short, I have reduced my choosing options to just two:

Infinity TSS 800 -- or -- Acoustic Research Home Decor 5.1

My doubts are:

1) Will the small speakers of either of those two sets be enough to give me medium range frequencies to listen to music? (I imagine they should be all right for movies, but I like plain music at least as much as I like movies). ( I care more about clearness and precision than about power.) If not, I Will have to rethink the whole thing over, but my space doesn’t allow much bigger speakers... so It will be a hard to solve situation.
:confused:

2) Which one of the two sets is better, or more indicated to my case?

PS: Here in Brazil we don’t have as many options as you in USA, but if anyone has any third suggestion for small speakers, maybe I could find them here!

Thank you very much, in advance, for your kind help.
:)

Last edited:
MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
I am only familiar with the predecessor to Infinity's TSS-800 (The tss-750). The small speakers were adequate for small rooms, however, the subwoofer left much to be desired. You may wish to do a web search for the Infinity TSS-750 since they are discontinued and you may find some great deals (less than $250). This would permit a better more satisfying subwoofer to be purchased.

A

Andre_Magro

Audiophyte
Hi, MUDSHARK,

Thank You very much for your answer. :)

Knowing that the small speakers are adequate for small rooms, is already great news!! (Actually, the most important thing! Because, in last case, I can always change the woofer later!)

About the WEB deals, unfortunately I can't get them here in Brazil. Maybe you would be shocked to know that I will pay around US$ 650,00 for the TSS - 800, and US$ 900,00 for the A.R Home Decor 5.1. :eek: That is what they cost here, new, form a reliable informal dealer!! From a store, with regular receipt and all, would be 20% on top of that! (Every place in the world has it's advantages and disadvantages, for buying speakers it is very good to be in USA!)
(But, I'm very happy in Brazil, besides the price of electronics ;) )

I will wait to see if someone says something about the A.R Home Decor 5.1.

Thanks Again,
André

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
They both know how to make speakers that sound neutral. AR used to make excellent Acoustic suspension speakers that could reproduce deep and tight bass with relatively small enclosures. Pick the one that sounds better and/or look better to you.

A

Andre_Magro

Audiophyte
Thank You PENG,

Good to hear that!!

I think I am ok!

The only thing I would still like to hear is someone that actualy nows the A.R Home Decor 5.1., considering that it is a new product...

Thanks Again!!

ChrisJam

ChrisJam

Full Audioholic
PS: Here in Brazil we don’t have as many options as you in USA, but if anyone has any third suggestion for small speakers, maybe I could find them here!
Hi, Andre, welcome to the site.

I haven't heard the speakers you're thinking about, but I can mention an alternative for you. Check the AV123 web site:
http://av123.com

Look at the X-series of speakers.
http://www.av123.com/products_category_brand.php?section=speakers&brand=55

AV123 recently opened a factory in Cali, Columbia. You might be able to get some X-series speakers directly from the factory. AV123 has great customer service. Send an e-mail to them or call their American phone number (though calling might be expensive).

X-speakers are GREAT for the price, and they come in various sizes from fairly small to towers. There are even subs in the line, including an inexpensive, yet respectable, one called the X-sub.

AV123 has its own audio forums. Many people here at Audioholics know the AV123 brand, but you can get even more info from the source:
http://av123forum.com/

Good luck,
Chris

mkossler

mkossler

Audioholic
Since the OP indicates that he cannot take advantage of Internet-based retailers, I will not suggest alternatives.

I have, however, owned a variety of A/R speakers and obviously have liked what I heard. I find the subwoofers to be fine for smaller rooms, accurate and musical. They do not handle high levels of input/output well, and will perform best at medium-high levels.

I hope this helps - My signature will reveal my obvious bias, so I won't mention it in this post :) :p

A

Andre_Magro

Audiophyte
Conclusion: both seem to be fine for my case!

:p Thanks mkossler and ChrisJam!

And Thanks to all who have replied!

Buy what I read here and from other sources, both sets seem to be fine for my case (and that was the really important issue). :D In addition, both seem to go well with the Harman Kardon. They also, by all I heard, seem to be similar in performance, except maybe that the A.R. sub reaches slightly lower frequencies, and creates slightly stronger impression.

For circumstantial details (that most likely will be irrelevant for other persons), I have chosen the Infinity
(1. one friend has already had one similar set, here in Brazil, and likes it very much. 2. Here there was a 20% difference in price 3. The Infinity already comes with the speaker cables, which, here in Brazil are kind of expensive.).

All those little things my seem insignificant or obvious for you people, advanced Audioholics, but they were crucial to a beginner like me. So thank you very much, again! :p

When I have the system working, I will post my final impression. :)

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Wise decision Andre,

you knew how to take advantage out of a "pretty similar situation" though.
Enjoy your setup & keep us posted.

Cheers!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis