Infinity Interlude 10 vs. Alpha 20

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I'm curious if anyone has experience with these two models.

They are similar and different in many ways on paper, but I wonder if anyone could share their subjective evaluations of these two speakers. Environment is an apartment used in a stereo setup with a Paradigm PS-1000v1 subwoofer.

The similarities are their driver compliment, both feature CMMMD 1" tweeters and CMMD 6.5" mid-bass drivers. They both weigh the same (18.1lbs). Frequency response of both, as per manufacturer specs are nearly identical (56hz-22khz for the IL10 and 55hz-22khz for the Alpha 20) and the efficiency rating is also similar (88dB IL10 and 89dB Alpha 20).

Where they differ is with the crossover (2800Hz IL10 and 3000Hz Alpha 20) as well as the Alpha 20 being front ported apposed to the rear ported design of the IL10. Being aware of the implications of placing the IL10 close to the wall producing excess bass I have them placed appropriately to not cause this problem. The Alpha 20 and IL10 tweeter waveguide is dramatically differently. The tweeter is more recessed on the IL10 similar to the Beta 20. It's my understanding this makes the IL10 have more point source characteristics resulting in weaker off axis response (a non issue for me). For those that aren't aware the Interlude series was replaced by the Alpha series and the Alpha series was subsequently replaced with the Beta series.

Continuing with the differences, I believe the Alpha 20 uses a cast basket mid-bass driver. I'm not sure if the basket is aluminum, steel, or polymer. The basket of the IL10 is stamped steel. The production for the Alpha 20 is most likely Denmark, possibly Mexico using Danish cabinet materials and other foreign parts (the tweeter is made in France on both models). During the production of the Alpha series Harman's Denmark plant was closed and materials where shipped to Mexico. Similarly the Interlude series production began in Harman's US plant and production was sent to Mexico during production.

Not sure what else to add of my own knowledge. All I can say is that I really like the IL10s and I'd like a second pair of Similar sounding and at least equal performing speakers.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
I have 4 ea. IL10's. They float my boat! I use them in conjunction with Infinity Beta 50's and a Beta 360 center. They like a
hefty amp much better!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I love my IL10s. I've had them for about 10 years and they've served me very well. I have had countless others (Boston Acoustics, Thiel, AR, Vandersteen, Paradigm Reference, and so many more) and find myself always going back to them. However the only other Infinity speakers I've tried are the Primus 250 floor standers and they don't come anywhere close.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
It amazes me that a mass market speaker such as the IL10 and the Alpha 20 are not discussed much by anyone who knows anything. I just got done reading a thread on ecoustics about some person claiming that an $80 pair of polks would sound no different than the Infinity Alpha 20s because they both know how to make speakers real good.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I havent heard those models but I know that Infinity Alpha 30 sound pretty amazing for the price they sold for, they don't have much bass but with sub that is not a problem.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Another interesting note. The Alpha series speakers are front ported like the Primus line, however the Interlude and Beta series are rear ported.

Another few observations. The Alpha series speakers do not feature the "waveguide" for the tweeter. The Interlude series (predates the Alpha series) and the Beta series (successor to the Alpha line) both feature an iteration of "waveguide". I don't know the exact effects of using a waveguide for a tweeter but I had always assumed that it aids in the reduction of early reflections and well as an increase in efficiency in tweeter output. I would also tend to think that the waveguide would restrict the off axis response and thusly give the speakers a more "closed in" sound. Someone please correct me if I'm in error about any of that.

The Interlude series were manufactured both in the US and Mexico factories. They used stamped baskets for their woofers and are magnetically shielded. The origin of the woofer driver is not clear. The origin of the tweeter is France.

The Alpha series were manufactured in Denmark alongside the higher end Kappa series at the time. The woofers found in the Alpha series utilize cast baskets (aluminum or composite, not sure from pictures) and are sourced from France as are the tweeters.

The Beta series were manufactured in China. Woofers appear to have gone back to stamped basket origin unknown. Tweeter origin unknown.

So with this in mind it does appear that the Alphas were assembled with better parts. I don't know much about Denmark's speaker manufacturing prowess but they look nicely made. I know that Jamo used to be made their and I believe Denmark is also home to Gryphon which makes some seriously expensive speakers and amplifiers. Not that this is indicative of quality on behalf of Infinity products assembled there but it does seem promising.

I tacked down a pair of Alpha 40 towers for a good price. I'm not going to get my expectations up for how they sound because they differ enough from the Interludes I'm just not sure how they'll shape up in my small apartment. The general consensus I'm finding from user opinions of the Alpha 40 is that they seem to enjoy them and are generally thought of as being a good value.

I'll get a chance to listen to them tonight. Hopefully they made the trip without any damage.

EDIT: I just learned I was incorrect about the Beta series. They are assembled in Harmon's Tijuana factor which I presume is the same factory that many Interludes were assembled in. The tweeter in the Beta is supposedly subcontracted by an unnamed company in Germany.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Let us know your early impressions.
It sounds like you are buying them, so I'd suggest giving the Alphas time to break you in by keeping them playing whenever you are around.
The transition to and from a wave guide often reveals a heavy bias towards what you are familiar with. IME, after giving both plenty of time to burn me in, it ends up a "robbing Peter to pay Paul" proposition.
IOW, I can usually find content that plays better on each of them, to my ear.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Let us know your early impressions.
It sounds like you are buying them, so I'd suggest giving the Alphas time to break you in by keeping them playing whenever you are around.
The transition to and from a wave guide often reveals a heavy bias towards what you are familiar with. IME, after giving both plenty of time to burn me in, it ends up a "robbing Peter to pay Paul" proposition.
IOW, I can usually find content that plays better on each of them, to my ear.
Ha. Haha. Hahaha. Well I received them today. I cautioned the seller to take care in packing them and that if they were not sure about it to let me know. They of course ignored the message, sent the speakers, and despite the advantage of not having to go very far (less than 200 miles) they packed them them poorly enough to damage the tweeters. The only thing between the front of the speaker and the outside of the box was two layers of cardboard. Idiots.

I plugged them in and the bass is, erm, boomy? Side by side with the Interlude 10 (a monitor) they have such a boominess in the upper bass that they don't even have the illusion of extension.

They are significantly brighter than the IL10s and the midrange is understandably more "present" bordering on shouty.

Soundstage depth and width suffer, but now doubt that is in part due to their current positioning.

In short, easy listening the Alpha 40 is not.

Maybe I'd just be better off (not necessarily wiser) to conclude that my IL10s are as close to perfect speaker for my ears. Their faults don't destroy my enjoyment of music.

Side note. The Amrit Logos dig deeper and sound vastly superior in the bass region to the Alpha 40s in the same position the Alphas are currently in. The Amrit Logos have slam and authority. In this regard they beat out the IL10, but the bass of the IL10 is still very satisfactory for their size. The Amrit Logos have a narrower soundspace with less depth than the IL10 which gives way to my preference to the IL10s.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Ouch, that sucks!
So they are significantly brighter...I assume the tweeters are not so damaged as not to work?
Do you think the damage effects the sound in any significant way?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
KEW said:
Ouch, that sucks!
Tell me about it. All told I'm not that broken up about it. I'm not impressed with the overall tone of the speaker and its bass performance is very disappointing. I didn't try blending them with the subwoofer before putting them back in their respective boxes, but with that upper bass "bloom" I doubt it would have worked out well anyway.

KEW said:
So they are significantly brighter...I assume the tweeters are not so damaged as not to work?
They are brighter, in the face and "flat" sounding. The quotes are their because it's a descriptor not an indication of their flatness or linearity, which I can't speak on without measurements. They just sound dull and lacking in excitement or any sort of pleasure.

Do you think the damage effects the sound in any significant way?
As I understand it, not really. The dome's uniformity may be affected in certain break up modes, but I'm guessing I'd have to play them a little harder to notice anything significant.

The Interludes are so much more effortless. They sound sweet and smooth and very open to me. As mentioned before the only issue I take with them is the occasional resonance peak, but it's not typical in most of my music that it calls attention to itself.

The Amrit Logos are setup in the "dining nook" of my apartment on a different setup which I'm about to make some changes to. I really like their "slam" and the only thing that's bothering me about them right now is that I'm using tall stools as speaker stands and the energy of the cabinets is transfered right through the maple of the stands into the floor. They're also too tall, I need to get proper stands for the Amritas.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis