P

pebrooks

Enthusiast
Any feedback on these speakers? By today's standards, how to they fit in?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I like em. The I liked the ILs better than the Alphas and Betas. They are the predecessors of those two.

P

pebrooks

Enthusiast
Infinity question

I can pick up a nice set for about $300.00, maybe a little less. Are they worth it? Do I hold off and buy Kef's to go with my others? I don't understand why I am so undecided...but I am.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I can pick up a nice set for about $300.00, maybe a little less. Are they worth it? Do I hold off and buy Kef's to go with my others? I don't understand why I am so undecided...but I am.
I prefer the Beta series of Infinity's

But I suggest KEF's if you are concerned about speaker size.

B

bjallen

Audiophyte
If you have other KEF speakers, especially a KEF center channel, and if you would be buying the IL-40s to be front speakers, I'd recommend getting more KEFs. Mixing speakers from different brands (or even from different lines by the same company) can cause tonal mismatches, which could be distracting, especially across the front soundstage. If you are intending to use the IL-40s as surrounds, this might not be as much of a problem, but could still be noticeable if you intend to listen to multi-channel music.

Take this advice for what its worth, though -- I have a feeling you are looking at the same set of IL-40s I'm interested in ($300 obo on the minneapolis craigslist?). If this keeps you from believing what I said above, you can search around for other threads on this or other forums and you'll see similar advice.

P

pebrooks

Enthusiast
KEFs -vs- IL-40's

I wasn't sure but thought in the direction you expressed, and yes, they are the ones on Craigslist/Mpls. I had ordered Kef IQ-5, but was told today they only had a black and a walnut remaining. But they gave me a great deal on the IQ-7's, in dark apple to match my other speakers. I realize how inept I am so ask these "inane" questions. So far everyone has been really helpful. Thank you!
Paul

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I wasn't sure but thought in the direction you expressed, and yes, they are the ones on Craigslist/Mpls. I had ordered Kef IQ-5, but was told today they only had a black and a walnut remaining. But they gave me a great deal on the IQ-7's, in dark apple to match my other speakers. I realize how inept I am so ask these "inane" questions. So far everyone has been really helpful. Thank you!
Paul
The Kef IQ7s will be a superior speaker IMo.
They are also better than the 5s IMO because they have a higher sensitivity deeper extension and a wider sounds stage. If you can afford the 7s go for it. I believe you should always buy the best speaker you can afford. Then there is no regret.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis