Infinity Bookshelf - No sound whatsoever

J

Jake.

Audioholic Intern
Hello all,
I have a little Infinity bookshelf speaker that puts out no sound whatsoever. No hiss, hum...nothing. Does anyone have any tips before i crack it open with a multimeter in hand? Thanks

Jake

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
What are you connecting to it? What model is it? What are you using to power it?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Do you have a second working speaker to try on the same amp channel or another channel to swap it with?

J

Jake.

Audioholic Intern
The speaker is an Infinity SL-30. I've connected it to an Onkyo receiver, and I've confirmed the connection is working by hooking up to a working Advent Prodigy and making good sound.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Some of their speakers had fuses in the past, so you might want to start there. Otherwise, I would look for a wire not being connected to the binding posts or at the crossover. Usually, a speaker that is damaged makes sound from one of the drivers (e.g., woofer, tweeter, midrange) in the cabinet, so it is likely that there is a bad connection in the wiring that would affect all drivers.

J

Jake.

Audioholic Intern
The speaker makes no sound whatsoever. I'll crack it open and see what I can find. Results will be posted. I appreciate the advice, you all are very helpful.

J

Jake.

Audioholic Intern
A bit more info. I pulled the backplate (where the speaker wires are connected). On the backside of this I assume is the crossover. You guys have to forgive me, I'm a rank newbie at this. I noticed that the circuitboard (crossover?) had terminals to the tweeter and the mid-range. Applying the output from the receiver to the tweeter got nice clean sound from the tweeter. Applying output to the mid got nothing. If I did something I should not have done, forgive me. I'm a tinkerer by heart and experimenting got the best of me.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
A bit more info. I pulled the backplate (where the speaker wires are connected). On the backside of this I assume is the crossover. You guys have to forgive me, I'm a rank newbie at this. I noticed that the circuitboard (crossover?) had terminals to the tweeter and the mid-range. Applying the output from the receiver to the tweeter got nice clean sound from the tweeter. Applying output to the mid got nothing. If I did something I should not have done, forgive me. I'm a tinkerer by heart and experimenting got the best of me.
You should not have connected the tweeter directly to the receiver, that is a good way to blow it.

Make sure the wires are connected to the woofer. If they are, connect the wires to a 1.5 volt battery. As you connect and disconnect the cone should move to and fro with a pop. If it does not, then the voice coil is fried and the driver needs re-coning or replacement.

S

Smith1205

Audiophyte
No sound whatsoever

Results will be posted. I appreciate the advice, you all are very helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jake.

Audioholic Intern
No response from the woofer. It appears that it would be fried. Thanks for all the advice.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis