Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Zeke0990 said:
ok then i guess i will just go w/ 4 Primus 150s and get the center channel speaker then, Thanks 4 teh advice guys!
No, 5 infinity Primus 150s. No center channel.

SheepStar

Z

Zeke0990

Enthusiast
y no center channel?...i also might add i will b using this reciver if that makes a difference, so i wont b using the full power of each speaker, just 110 watts per channel...

the only difference in my reciver is that it isnt XM Radio Ready

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Zeke0990 said:
y no center channel?...i also might add i will b using this reciver if that makes a difference, so i wont b using the full power of each speaker, just 110 watts per channel...

Cheaper and perfectly matched.

That receiver will work fine.

SBF1

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Zeke0990 said:

I fear that center channel may suffer from an affect describe by WmAx in this thread.

WmAx said:
I do not care to speculate as to why so many are MTM configurations. However, it does not serve any technical benefit over a MT system other than allowing use of two smaller diameter drivers to produce the same SPL as a larger diameter driver. Use of two smaller drivers, of course, allows for the sleeker looking cabinet, as opposed to a more boxed style that would occur using a larger driver. The MTM is actually technically inferior so far as dispersion. In the plane that the two drivers exist aligned with each other, the distance between two radiation sources becomes signifcant in relation to the upper bandwidth wavelengths(in air) of these transducers. Result is destructive interference interaction as the two drivers begin to operate out of phase with each other as the vector angle is increased off axis. The result, basicly, is a more limited horiztonal dispersion when the speaker is set so that the two drivers align in the horiztonal plane.

-Chris
Thats why. :)

SheepStar

Darth Mike

Darth Mike

Audioholic
The kid putting his system together reminds me of me when I was his age...You rock bro'!

Waffle, here's your chance for some good sounding bookshelfs...

Z

Zeke0990

Enthusiast
Darth Mike said:
The kid putting his system together reminds me of me when I was his age...You rock bro'!

Waffle, here's your chance for some good sounding bookshelfs...
yay a fellow Futurama fan!...i love that show, Adult swim every night i watch it!
but ya guys thanks 4 teh comments, i cant wai ttil i get the whole system finished!...btw, the poster above me, i saw ur setup speakers, do they sound ok if ur whole system isnt all 150s?...btw r these speakers any good my local hhgregg has them on sale, just want ur opinion on them...
MTX speakers
Center channel
2 of these for the front speakers
2 of these for the surrounds

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Zeke0990 said:
yay a fellow Futurama fan!...i love that show, Adult swim every night i watch it!
but ya guys thanks 4 teh comments, i cant wai ttil i get the whole system finished!...btw, the poster above me, i saw ur setup speakers, do they sound ok if ur whole system isnt all 150s?...btw r these speakers any good my local hhgregg has them on sale, just want ur opinion on them...
MTX speakers
Center channel
2 of these for the front speakers
2 of these for the surrounds
I think they sound great. Yours will too. I have a second system in the bedroom. I have 4 matching JBL E20's and 2 E10's for surround. All driven by a Yammie HTR-5740. This system won't go as lound as my main system, but still plays very loud and sound very good. IMO the Infinity's are a little better.
You're gonna like the way they sound.
Congrats on putting together a fine system.
Have you picked out a sub yet? The PS8 or PS10 should be good matches.

Z

Zeke0990

Enthusiast
i was thinking of this sub, reccomended by my good friend Deathwish238, he is popular on the Xbox.com AV Forum, i dont have much to spend on a sub so the Dayton is wht i can really afford, but do u think those MTX Speakers will sound any good if i got them?...

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Zeke0990 said:
i was thinking of this sub, reccomended by my good friend Deathwish238, he is popular on the Xbox.com AV Forum, i dont have much to spend on a sub so the Dayton is wht i can really afford, but do u think those MTX Speakers will sound any good if i got them?...
The Dayton sub comes with a pretty good enclosure and amp. As a benefit, it is feasible to later change out to a better driver and change the port length to match. For just the plate amp and enclosure you get here, $120-$150 is a great deal. Consider the subwoofer driver that is included to be only temporary. :)

-Chris

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
WmAx said:
The Dayton sub comes with a pretty good enclosure and amp. As a benefit, it is feasible to later change out to a better driver and change the port length to match. For just the plate amp and enclosure you get here, $120-$150 is a great deal. Consider the subwoofer driver that is included to be only temporary. :)

-Chris
Yeah, what he said.

Z

Zeke0990

Enthusiast
but wht about those MTX Speakers?...r those good at all?

Darth Mike

Darth Mike

Audioholic
Sheep said:
No, stick with the Infinitys.

SheepStar
Yeah, what he said...;)

Zeke0990 said:
Yep, used to watch the show when it was new back in the late 90's, as well as adult swim, seen every episode! I'm a general fan of Matt Groening's stuff (ie: Simpsons as well as Futurama).

Last edited:
P

phungt

Audiophyte
Sheep said:
Wow, great find!

5 Primus 150s would be a wicked setup.

SheepStar
How do you set that up? 2 fronts, 2 surround, 1 center then add a sub?

What about 7 of those + a sub for 7.1?

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
phungt said:

Ideally, you want 2 subwoofers[on placed in a corner near the left and right channel Primus 150], due to the frequency which is optimal to cross over to the Primus 150, which is about 100-110. If you use the Primus 160, you can set the crossover a little lower.

-Chris

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
phungt said:

Pretty much. 5 or 7 150s, then subwoofers.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
WmAx said:
Ideally, you want 2 subwoofers[on placed in a corner near the left and right channel Primus 150], due to the frequency which is optimal to cross over to the Primus 150, which is about 100-110. If you use the Primus 160, you can set the crossover a little lower.

-Chris
Nah, you can get 80Hz out of those bookshelfs. Put them in opposiong corners.

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis