• Thread starter Rock&Roll Ninja
  • Start date
Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
I like the convenience of my 400 disk SONY CD megachanger, but understand that its actual musical output is somewhat limited. Sony was nice enough to include a fiber-optic digital output on this thing, for hooking upto a better DAC.

Now then: Are there any DAC's that offer a significant upgrade to the SONY's internals that DO NOT cost as much as my first car? All the equipment I see reviewed in magazines seem to start at $1500. Are there any DAC's in maybe the $500 or cheaper price-range I should be looking at?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
I like the convenience of my 400 disk SONY CD megachanger, but understand that its actual musical output is somewhat limited. Sony was nice enough to include a fiber-optic digital output on this thing, for hooking upto a better DAC.

Now then: Are there any DAC's that offer a significant upgrade to the SONY's internals that DO NOT cost as much as my first car? All the equipment I see reviewed in magazines seem to start at $1500. Are there any DAC's in maybe the $500 or cheaper price-range I should be looking at?

Do you use a receiver? Mabe it has a DAC in it, then use it.
I bet there is nothing wrong with the DAC in that Sony. DACs have been around for a very long time now, long in the electronics business ;) .

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

If you want a separate DAC, the I think the Scott Nixon TubeDAC is under $500. And you can often find a Perpetual Technologies P3a DAC for around that amount used. The MSB Link DAC is about $400. All have received very good reviews.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'd like to use the megachanger in my integrated-amp 2-channel system, which does not decode.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I've never heard this Sony unit, but I'd test the premise that you will perceive an audible improvement before you invest. Perhaps you can get someone (a store, a friend...) to loan you a higher quality unit. Insert it in your system and see if you really think there's an improvement. Depending on the resolution of your speakers, and perhaps the noise levels and drive characteristics of your associated electronics, you may not be able to hear a difference. Don't just assume the Sony is inadequate, is my advice.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Irvrobinson said:
I've never heard this Sony unit, but I'd test the premise that you will perceive an audible improvement before you invest. Perhaps you can get someone (a store, a friend...) to loan you a higher quality unit. Insert it in your system and see if you really think there's an improvement. Depending on the resolution of your speakers, and perhaps the noise levels and drive characteristics of your associated electronics, you may not be able to hear a difference. Don't just assume the Sony is inadequate, is my advice.

Good suggestions but if he is biased, we all are and cannot turn it off, then he better implement some gias controls of his findings will be unreliable ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis