Indoor / outdoor setup

Z

ztot

Audiophyte
Hey guys,

I will be setting up a room that I am remodeling with some ceiling speakers as well as outdoor speakers on my patio. I mainly want to use this for music, maybe connect tv to it as well. The room is about 300 sq. ft. I am thinking 2 ceiling speakers inside the room and 2 more outdoor speakers on the patio. SO.... what type of receiver will I need if I want to power sound to both locations at the same time, and also if I only want the indoor speakers on at certain times and not my outdoor speakers ? please give suggestions as to what I should look for.

As for the speakers, do I need to look for stereo speakers ? I do not know too much about all this so sorry for the questions. No clue about ohms or anything I need to look for.

Thanks for any advice.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Need some parameters

Welcome to the forum,

I will be setting up a room that I am remodeling with some ceiling speakers as well as outdoor speakers on my patio. I mainly want to use this for music, maybe connect tv to it as well.
The room is about 300 sq. ft. I am thinking 2 ceiling speakers inside the room and 2 more outdoor speakers on the patio.

1) What type of receiver will I need if I want to power sound to both locations at the same time, and also if I only want the indoor speakers on at certain times and not my outdoor speakers ?
It depends on what you are trying to accomplish:
a) At the simplist end of things, if you only want to play the same content (CD music, iPod, radio, TV, etc.) to one or both locations, then any receiver with A/B speaker support can do the trick.
- Connect the indoor speakers to the "A" terminals and the "B" terminals to the outdoor speakers and then select "A, B, or Both" to control which areas get sound.
- Warning: A/B speaker outputs are only connected to one set of amplifiers and probably will require at least 8 ohm speakers to be used in the "Both" mode to avoid overtaxing the amplifier. Read and heed the manufacturer's directions on this.

b) A bit more complicated is if you want to play one set of content to the indoor area (wife's favorite Michael Buble) while simultaneously playing different content to the outdoor area (your favorite sports broadcast). Now you need a receiver that supports 2-Zones.
- Connect Zone 1 (normally L/R Fronts) to the indoor speakers and which ever speakers support Zone 2 (normally the surrounds or back surrounds) to the outdoor speakers. In addtion, you will have to learn how to manipulate the receiver to control Zone 1 and then change to control Zone 2.
- Note: This method does not use the same amplifer sets and so there will be less restrictions on the speaker types.

2) As for the speakers, do I need to look for stereo speakers ?
a) What are your intentions for these listening areas, critical audiphile hi-fi listening, general back ground/party music, an eventual home theater?
b) What is your speaker budget?
-
The purpose and budget you have will help narrow the search for type and range of available speakers. The outdoor zone is probablity a general background music application, where the indoor zone can have more varied uses.
- For general background music you may want to consider dual-voice coil speakers where each speaker is producing both the L and R sound signals--these allow more installation options and area coverage, but sacrifice L/R stereo listening.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Z

ztot

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply. And yes my main intention is to listen to the same content inside and/or outside. Main thing im looking for is the ability to turn off the outdoor speakers when I am not outside or its late at night not to annoy the neighbors.

One receiver I am looking into is the ONKYO TX8050. Does this system have the ability to turn off one set of speakers that are directly connected to the receiver ? I can see it has the A and B connections for the speakers. But the ZONE 2 is a separate connection that states "pre out" and looks like they are RCA cable connections. As the A / B connections are speaker wire. So my question is does the Zone 2 on this receiver require another separate amp/receiver to work the zone 2?

probably stupid questions but please help.

Thanks

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
Yes, the zone 2 on that unit would require a power amp. Since you are just planning to have the same play back in both areas you do not need the zone 2 at all.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis