In Your Opinion, What is the Difference Between These?

• Thread starter PearlcorderS701
  • Start date
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I would say the amp sections are technically the same as far as I can see from the specs. The Integra's tuner has a better spec on paper.

M

m_vanmeter

Full Audioholic
kind of the Ford/Mercury approach to marketing. Same basic guts, different name and "look". Onkyo owns both brands, so you can bet there is a lot of similarity under the hood ;)

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
I would say the amp sections are technically the same as far as I can see from the specs. The Integra's tuner has a better spec on paper.
Thanks PENG -- they looked pretty similar when I looked at them, but I noted the Integra unit much later after I purchased the TX-8555...

As for the tuner, what "better specs" does it boast? Ability to pull in stations better or something along those lines?

I don't know if I really care for the Integra's silver volume knob and other silver touches, which I know Onkyo puts on to kind of visually differentiate these brands...

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
kind of the Ford/Mercury approach to marketing. Same basic guts, different name and "look". Onkyo owns both brands, so you can bet there is a lot of similarity under the hood ;)
Indeed; I knew Integra was to Onkyo what Lexus is to Toyota, but I was wondering if the Integra had some kind of improvement detail in this particular product over the TX-8555. Power ratings appear to be the same...why would one buy this over the TX-8555? Brand loyalty (to Integra)? Possible better build quality? Custom installation options that may be missing on the TX-8555?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
As for the tuner, what "better specs" does it boast? Ability to pull in stations better or something along those lines?
I followed your links and noticed the following differences in their tuner specs:

Onkyo:
Usable Sensitivity -
FM Mono 15.2 dBf, (75 ohm IHF)
FM Stereo 22.2 dBf, (75 ohm IHF)
AM 300 uV
S/N Ratio (FM Mono/FM Stereo/AM) 73 dB (IHF-A)/67 dB (IHF-A)/40 dB
THD (FM Mono/FM Stereo/AM) 0.3 %/0.5 %/0.7 %

Integra:
Usable Sensitivity
FM Mono 11.2 dBf, 1.0 µV (75 W IHF)
FM Stereo 17.2 dBf, 2.0 µV (75 W IHF)
AM 30 µV
S/N Ratio (FM Mono/FM Stereo/AM) 76 dB (IHF-A)/70 dB (IHF-A)/40 dB
THD (FM Mono/FM Stereo/AM) 0.15 %/0.25 %/0.7 %

So the Integra seems slightly better in terms of tuner sensitivity (like you said, perhaps it would "pull in stations better"), noise, and distortion. Not that it matters but I was surpised to see the differences. Why would Onkyo make two different tuners? I suspect those might have been a bunch of typos...

I also prefer the look of the Onkyo, there is no way I would pay more to get that Integra.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
I followed your links and noticed the following differences in their tuner specs:

Onkyo:
Usable Sensitivity -
AM 300 uV

Integra:
Usable Sensitivity
AM 30 µV

So the Integra seems slightly better in terms of tuner sensitivity (like you said, perhaps it would "pull in stations better"), noise, and distortion. Not that it matters but I was surpised to see the differences. Why would Onkyo make two different tuners? I suspect those might have been a bunch of typos...

I also prefer the look of the Onkyo, there is no way I would pay more to get that Integra.
Indeed, PENG...agreed pretty much all the way around...;)

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned

Onkyo:
Usable Sensitivity -

AM 300 uV

Integra:
Usable Sensitivity

AM 30 µV

You know something else I meant to ask you, PENG, with regard to these above tuner specs? Am I not understanding these right? It seems that the 8555 has higher usable sensitivity numbers than the Integra's -- wouldn't this mean that the tuner is more sensitive than the Integra's, or do I have this backwards?

Also, Total Harmonic Distortion ratings for these two also appear to be higher under the Integra's spec -- unless I'm not reading those right, either...:confused:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis