In wall speaker wire and pressure treated wood

tonay

tonay

Junior Audioholic
I'm sorry I posted this question in 2 areas but not sure where it fit best:

Is it safe/recommended to put PVC coated in wall speaker wire in contact w/ SBX pressure treated wood? I know it is corosive to non-galvinized metals but not sure of the effect on the wire insulation.

Thanks

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I'm assuming you're asking about the copper wire, and not the pvc.

As far as I know, there have been no tests for this . Copper does corrrode quite easily. Even stainless steel corrodes under the right conditions. However, the reaction occurs when the dissimilar metals or the corrosive materials come into contact (carbonate or sodium with steel, brass or copper) with each other.

Although some like to say the sea "air" corrodes metals, this is not wholly true. Particles of sodium from the sea (evaporated or moisture laden) blow this corrosive material onto the metal, and the adverse reaction commences. I cannot imagine how sbx could corrode your wire if it were fully encased in pvc. Even if there were such a reaction, both you and I will be dust for a number of years before it impacts the sq! ;) Hope this helps.

S

sjsmithjr

Audioholic Intern
I am not aware of any issues between SBX (sodium borate) treated wood and PVC, so as long as the jacket is intact, you should have no issues. Are you running the wire through the sill plate of your house?

-Sam

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis