In wall and In Ceiling Speakers

034runner

Audiophyte
I'm determined to get either in wall or in ceiling speakers for my basement renovation for a "clean" look. The area is 900sq ft split evenly with what's going to be a bar area and a TV viewing area (with no separation in between). I want a speaker setup that provides good sound for the TV viewing but also provide good sound for listening to music at the bar. Here's my thoughts:

3 in wall speakers to the left , right and above the TV which will be hanging on the wall. Then I'm wondering if I can do in ceiling speakers for the rear right and rear left since there's no good place for in wall speakers for the RL and RR. Then for the bar area, 2 more in ceiling speakers. I would setup the 5 in the TV viewing area on one zone and the 2 in the bar area on another zone (Can both zones play the same thing on the right receiver?). As for the sub in the TV viewing area, I want to keep a "clean" theme, do they make in wall subs?

Any advice and speaker recommendations are appreciated. I'm looking at a budget of $300-$500 per pair. Also, do I need an amplifier? I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff so I want to make sure I have everything covered.

Thanks

Last edited:
P

pbrown

Enthusiast
Check these guys out.

http://www.atlantictechnology.com/default.asp?NodeId=23

They've always had a decent in wall speaker system. They even have an in wall sub.

As for an amp - any amp or AVR that will work with free standing or book shelf speakers will work with in-wall systems. Run all the cables in wall/ceiling and terminate on a face plate near where you want your gear. Then just patch them in. Maybe you have a closet down there? Or use a cabinet in the bar area for a electrinics cabinet to tuck it all away. Just get a RF universal remote to control it.

Look at Leviton or Tyco/Amp for single and double gang modular face plates for the speaker interconnects.

J

jimbobby

Enthusiast
check out aperion

Check out the in-ceiling and in-wall speakers from Aperion. The price can't be beat. I listened to them in the showroom and was quite impressed but then again I'm no audiophile. I'm installing them next Monday in my new house and if you haven't bought speakers yet I'll report back. I also have a Paradigm sub to go with them. A good sub is a must for these types of speakers.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
What size is the TV? For a better HT experience you'll definitely want in-room sub/s!! I'd spend more of the speaker budget on the front three and less on the 4 in-ceilings. In-ceilings for the L/R surrounds is fine.

A

agelessgoodguy

Audiophyte
Reckon you should give the Monitor Audio range a look too very good value here IMHO.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I like the Axiom inwalls myself, but Aperion and Emotiva have excellent inwalls worth a look.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis