In-ceiling sub? (DIY job)

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
My wife nixed my plan to pick-up Matt34's DS12. Instead, a friend got both!:eek: (bastard). Anyways, she warmed to the idea of an in-wall deal and after thinking about it I dreamt (seriously) of either a dual DS1200 in-ceiling or a single DS1500 subwoofer from Rythmik. If it was a dual job the subs would be placed half way between the fronts and rears. If it was single, I was thinking in between the two rears (pretty much directly above the viewer :D ). Boxes can be built for the attic with no issue or an infinite baffle might be possible.

Anyone ever done them in-ceiling?

Attic access is NOT an issue as I can walk from one end of the house to the other with little issue (and some body contortion).

The only real issue I'm grappling with is that I want to add a wall volume switch. I've got one switch that is totally dead and simply filling a void.

-pat

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Pat, if the experts give you a thumbs up on the dimensions/setup, go for the IB! :D Then your friend will be calling you the bastard. :p

I'm sure you've heard of them, but in case you haven't, here is the Cult of the Infinitely Baffled.

Matt34

Matt34

This will be interesting to see where I'm "allowed" to go with this. My original spot is gonna be a serious PITA to build at.

-pat

I'd sign up at the IB cult site and post some pics of your room and where your allowed to put it.:p Also browse thru the projects album for ideas, a lot of them are running the AE IB15 so you might find something that works.

Who knows, maybe not getting my sub will be a blessing in disguise.;)

Last edited:
pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
Who knows, maybe not getting my sub will be a blessing in disguise.;)
Seriously...but...the DS12s sound real nice at Mark's place.

Good idea to join the IB forum from both you and Jostenmeat.

-pat

Matt34

Matt34

Seriously...but...the DS12s sound real nice at Mark's place.

Good idea to join the IB forum from both you and Jostenmeat.

-pat
That's good to hear, they really are a very good sub for the price.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My wife nixed my plan to pick-up Matt34's DS12. Instead, a friend got both!:eek: (bastard). Anyways, she warmed to the idea of an in-wall deal and after thinking about it I dreamt (seriously) of either a dual DS1200 in-ceiling or a single DS1500 subwoofer from Rythmik. If it was a dual job the subs would be placed half way between the fronts and rears. If it was single, I was thinking in between the two rears (pretty much directly above the viewer :D ). Boxes can be built for the attic with no issue or an infinite baffle might be possible.

Anyone ever done them in-ceiling?

Attic access is NOT an issue as I can walk from one end of the house to the other with little issue (and some body contortion).

The only real issue I'm grappling with is that I want to add a wall volume switch. I've got one switch that is totally dead and simply filling a void.

-pat
It sounds like an invitation to build a huge TL sub between the rafters!

annunaki

annunaki

Infinite Baffle is a monster in it's own right, especially if you want to avoid unwanted rattles from all places connected to your attic. It can be done & done well, but takes a lot of planning & proper construction technique.

A huge TL Sub or Large Vented application may work better for you to start. Since you will have to cut a hole, you can always upgrade to IB down the way.

Matt34

Matt34

Infinite Baffle is a monster in it's own right, especially if you want to avoid unwanted rattles from all places connected to your attic. It can be done & done well, but takes a lot of planning & proper construction technique.

A huge TL Sub or Large Vented application may work better for you to start. Since you will have to cut a hole, you can always upgrade to IB down the way.
Wouldn't a TL or vented sub be more complicated/expensive? After doing some reading on the IB forum, I think my house would be a good canidate for an IB setup (manufactured home on a three foot foundation).

I think that's a bit more than what he wants to spend.;)

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai

I was looking through the IB forum and started to veer away from an IB subwoofer after reading many of the threads. There was a lot of discussion about problems with drywall and rooms that weren't completely sealed off. The sub would actually be in a great room. I'm starting to think a box is a must and need to figure out whether it should be vented or sealed. Of course, that'll depend on the driver amongst other things. Space is not an issue in the attic...

-pat

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
TLS Guy and Annunaki,
I've never come across TL subs before. Is this what you're talking about?
TL SUB

-pat

annunaki

annunaki

TLS Guy and Annunaki,
TL SUB

-pat

Pat,

We were actually referring to a Transmission Line enclosure. Transmission line enclosures are known for very low response, though they can be somewhat tricky to build.

A large vented enclosure for a driver such as the 18" Maelstrom-x would offer similar response to a Transmission line and be slightly easier to construct. So long as the enclosure is isolated from the drywall & rafters, you could vent it right into the listening area.

A JL 13W7 or 12W7 in a custom vented enclosure would also do extremely well in such an application.

The biggest issue I see is how you will get your materials into the attic for construction??

A larger enclosure uses larger MDF or Ply panels, how would you get them into the attic??

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
TLS Guy and Annunaki,
TL SUB

-pat
I was referring to a quarter wave reverse tapered, aperiodically damped line. You get driver augmentation of 1.5 octaves, 12 db per octave roll off below F3 and a total system Q of 0.5 when correctly damped. It is the most realistic bass you will ever hear.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
I was referring to a quarter wave reverse tapered, aperiodically damped line. You get driver augmentation of 1.5 octaves, 12 db per octave roll off below F3 and a total system Q of 0.5 when correctly damped.
I need to quit spending so much time in the Steam Vent.

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
I was referring to a quarter wave reverse tapered, aperiodically damped line. You get driver augmentation of 1.5 octaves, 12 db per octave roll off below F3 and a total system Q of 0.5 when correctly damped. It is the most realistic bass you will ever hear.
I really have no idea what you said except for the last sentence. :eek:

-pat

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
I think that's a bit more than what he wants to spend.;)
Matt's absolutely on the ball with this one! I just checked the JL13W7 price and "Holy Sh--!"

I don't have mass amounts of monies available for this. The more bang for the buck the better. Especially if it can be kept under...say...350 for driver and amp.

-pat

annunaki

annunaki

Matt's absolutely on the ball with this one! I just checked the JL13W7 price and "Holy Sh--!"

I don't have mass amounts of monies available for this. The more bang for the buck the better. Especially if it can be kept under...say...350 for driver and amp.

-pat
In that case, I would look at a JL Audio 13W1v2 with a 300 watt Bash plate amplifier in a vented enclosure tuned to 21 hz. Depending upon room size, this can provide substantial output in-room. If the enclosure is designed properly it can be set up to retro fit a 12w7 when your budget permits. It is not small (about 6.5ft^3 gross volume) but it does sound quite good.

I have done the above setup (13w1v2) for a customer, 101.5db at 20hz with a ground plane measurement. Look up lbolts20 and ask him what he thinks of the sub. (Also see Build Thread 1 in my signature.)

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
In that case, I would look at a JL Audio 13W1v2 with a 300 watt Bash plate amplifier in a vented enclosure tuned to 21 hz. Depending upon room size, this can provide substantial output in-room. If the enclosure is designed properly it can be set up to retro fit a 12w7 when your budget permits. It is not small (about 6.5ft^3 gross volume) but it does sound quite good.

I have done the above setup (13w1v2) for a customer, 101.5db at 20hz with a ground plane measurement. Look up lbolts20 and ask him what he thinks of the sub. (Also see Build Thread 1 in my signature.)
Thanks for the direction. When I get the go ahead for this I'll definitely be asking lots of questions. I've got to get an education on all this stuff...

-pat

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis