In-Ceiling Stereo Speaker Placement

J

joeyg2391

Enthusiast
Hi Guys,
I have a room with dimensions 16X12X9. I plan on buying two 6in in-ceiling speakers by Polk for stereo sound. Right now i have the speaker wire running down the middle of the room and the speakers will be around 12ft apart. Is this a good distance or what do you recommend the separation should be?

Thanks

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
What is the primary purpose of these speakers?

Are they for a home theater or just for background music?

If you are using them for HT or music where you want to have good imaging you want to work with your primary listening position.

What model are they?

The versions I use in my bedroom are offset to help fire the sound toward the listener. It works well. When we are in bed we cannot tell the sound is coming from the ceiling and not the TV.

J

joeyg2391

Enthusiast
for background music. The bedrooms will use a single RC6 stereo speaker. I'm debating between the RC60i and 80i for both my dinning room and kitchen. My living room will have a dedicated system. Would the distance be good with either set?

Thanks

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Have you thought about using one of the single stereo speakers for these rooms? I use one RC6s in my dining area and it does a great job and I've put in back in a corner so visually you don't even notice it is there.

I've had to work with my wife on placement with all of my in wall/ceiling speakers and try and get the best sound with some compromise so they have the lest visual impact.

J

joeyg2391

Enthusiast
i actually was thinking of using the single rc6 for all the rooms but i thought it would not be enough for for the larger living spaces. the kitchen is a a little bigger around 18X12X9. You think the single stereo would suffice? I don't want to compromise sound quality. If i do go that route where do you think i should place it?

Thanks

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
My dining room is 17 x 12 x 9 and one does just fine. I have wood floors and the room has many hard surfaces so I've never had a hard time not having it loud enough. I have mine in a corner about 6-8" from the side walls.

For the money the RC6s sounds quite good. I replaced some audiovox models with these and it was a massive improvement. I have the TC60i's in the bedroom 16 x 14 x 9 in a corner 6" from the wall and about 4 feet apart. They are aimed at the bed and image very well. I would say the RS6s seems to have better bass but it is run from a more powerful amp than the bedroom so that may be part of it.

J

joeyg2391

Enthusiast
Thanks i will go with the rc6s for every room. I will also place them in the corner about 6-8 in. Thanks for the help. I'm planning to purchase the channel vision 12 channel amp to connect all these and add it to the 2nd zone on my pioneer receiver.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
That should be a nice setup. Let us know how it works out. Which amp are you getting? The reason I ask is that I use a single Onkyo M282 amp to run 3 sets of speakers and a impendance matching speaker selector to choose which speakers to have on. It is much cheaper than a mutizone amp and performs quite well.

J

joeyg2391

Enthusiast
J

joeyg2391

Enthusiast
Volume Control Sliders

Hi Guys,
Do you know of some volume controls that are not deep and are around 2in? Im looking for impedence matching ones around 20-30 bucks white.

Thanks

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis