In ceiling speakers

C

Cyber

Audiophyte
I have redone my family room and I'm looking for 5 in ceiling speakers. In walls are not an option. I have been looking at enclosed ones for the 3 fronts like the PSB C-LCR or the Totem Tribe Kin. Def Tech, JBL and Triad also sell the same kind.

Is there anyone out there that has this type of speaker and if so, can I get your thoughts and impressions. It's hard to audition these types because hardly any stores have them installed so that's why I'm asking. I'm leaning towards the PSB's right now for the simple fact that they are a good company with a solid reputation and I've listened to their Imagine line which I believe use the same drivers as the C-LCR's.

Room is 3000 cuft and I was planning on getting a SVS SB-13 Ultra sub to handle the bass.

Thanks

J

jkgsxr

Junior Audioholic
Good luck, most people on here are not into the in wall/ceiling speakers. I would pick the ones you like and pull the trigger.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have redone my family room and I'm looking for 5 in ceiling speakers. In walls are not an option. I have been looking at enclosed ones for the 3 fronts like the PSB C-LCR or the Totem Tribe Kin. Def Tech, JBL and Triad also sell the same kind.

Is there anyone out there that has this type of speaker and if so, can I get your thoughts and impressions. It's hard to audition these types because hardly any stores have them installed so that's why I'm asking. I'm leaning towards the PSB's right now for the simple fact that they are a good company with a solid reputation and I've listened to their Imagine line which I believe use the same drivers as the C-LCR's.

Room is 3000 cuft and I was planning on getting a SVS SB-13 Ultra sub to handle the bass.

Thanks
Your plan is a total waste of money and will be worse than using the TV's speakers.

If in walls are not an option, then get free standing speakers. That is always an option. There is no room that can not benefit from that option.

Ceiling speakers are acceptable for background music and for surrounds in a push, but never for the front three. You will never be happy with this arrangement, so save your money.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree with TLS on this one. All spacial cues will be lost. Dialog coming from the center channel will appear as its coming from the ceiling and not from the display where it should be.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

... Dialog coming from the center channel will appear as its coming from the ceiling ....
Maybe he is looking for that dialogue from high up above. ;) :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

You may want to find someone with such a setup, have a listen and see if that kind of presentation is acceptable to you and your family before punching holes in the ceiling and being disappointed afterwards.
If you are in a big city, perhaps there is a local audio store or they can recommend someone who can demo such a setup?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
lol, if you want to demo that kind of setup, go to a waiting room in a clinic or something, they always have in-ceiling speakers playing the radio. Lots of bars and restaurants use in ceilings as well. If that sounds good to you, by all means, go for them.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

lol, if you want to demo that kind of setup, go to a waiting room in a clinic or something, they always have in-ceiling speakers playing the radio. Lots of bars and restaurants use in ceilings as well. If that sounds good to you, by all means, go for them.
Only problem with those places is setup and noise. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis