In-ceiling halogen lamp transformers & interference?

H

HTnewbie

Junior Audioholic
General question related to other thread on in-wall speaker wire preferences.

I have to run surround speaker wire in the vicinity of in-ceiling, low-voltage, recessed halogen lighting fixtures. Specifically, the ceiling has six fixtures in two rows spaced roughly seven feet apart and lie between my RPTV and where I will install the in-ceiling surrounds. The diagram below (crude!) shows the position of the recessed fixtures (Os) and the surround speakers (X & x). Each fixture has a transformer that steps the line voltage down to 12v. The run across the ceiling is about 25' with the total run being about 45'.

Assume I know enough to not run the speaker wire (4/14ga with pairs matched to create an 11ga equivalent). However, I may have to cross perpendicularly one or more 110v voltage lines. My new question/concern is whether I have to worry about interference from the transformers? I don't have access to an EMF meter so I can't actually measure any effect. If this is a worry, how far away would I have to run to avoid picking up hum in the lines? My alternative is a longer run (60') in an air space behind some crown moulding. This might actually be preferable as the run avoids the ceiling sheetrock for almost the entire installation.

(Front of room with TV & mains)

O | O
|
|
|
O | O
|
|
|
O | O
|
|
X | X
|
|
x | x

H

HTnewbie

Junior Audioholic
Scale off

When posted the spaces I inserted were compressed so that the "layout" looks far narrower than it is. The space is a rectangle about 13' wide and 20' front to back.

H

HTnewbie

Junior Audioholic
Found a solution

In discussing this with my father-in-law (and "general contractor"), we determined that it would be easiest to run the speaker lines behind the crown moulding around the perimeter of the room. I then only have to come into the ceiling from the "back" of the speakers. It will mean adding 20' to the runs but it avoids having to get near the line voltage, halogen lights and transformers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis