In-Ceiling Advice....Please help....

J

jflem24

Audiophyte
Hello All,

We had an accident in our house so I wired the ceiling of our entertainment room for 7.1. Now, what do I buy?

Here is my wish list of reciever:
Pioneer VSX-23TXH

Blu-Ray:
PS3 - slim since this actually supports TrueHD and DTS-HD MA audio.

Now, for speakers. A friend told me about monoprice.com, which looks way too cheap (89 dec. 4 Ohm, 50 hz). There is only one place I found locally that has a decent listening room and they only have Martin Logan (which were nice) and Speakercraft (which sounded "empty" to me).

I need something "middle of the road". I like Definitive Tech, but the installation in the drywall is going to limit what I want to do. (RCS III)

1. Does anyone have any advice on Sonance?
2. Klipsch?
2b. Any other speak of choice?
3. Or a solid solution that you have done that you liked?
4. A solid demo system to listen to in the Seattle area? I really seems that in-ceiling installs are ahead of their time, no one has a good demo center.

Thank goodness for discount houses online, I have found MartinLogan's online (Helos100) for about $150 cheaper than MSRP but still really expensive and beyond my price range. I want to spend less than $1500 on the 7 speakers I need. I could go the monoprice route for about $500, which seems too low right now.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Josh

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello All,

We had an accident in our house so I wired the ceiling of our entertainment room for 7.1. Now, what do I buy?

Here is my wish list of reciever:
Pioneer VSX-23TXH

Blu-Ray:
PS3 - slim since this actually supports TrueHD and DTS-HD MA audio.

Now, for speakers. A friend told me about monoprice.com, which looks way too cheap (89 dec. 4 Ohm, 50 hz). There is only one place I found locally that has a decent listening room and they only have Martin Logan (which were nice) and Speakercraft (which sounded "empty" to me).

I need something "middle of the road". I like Definitive Tech, but the installation in the drywall is going to limit what I want to do. (RCS III)

1. Does anyone have any advice on Sonance?
2. Klipsch?
2b. Any other speak of choice?
3. Or a solid solution that you have done that you liked?
4. A solid demo system to listen to in the Seattle area? I really seems that in-ceiling installs are ahead of their time, no one has a good demo center.

Thank goodness for discount houses online, I have found MartinLogan's online (Helos100) for about $150 cheaper than MSRP but still really expensive and beyond my price range. I want to spend less than $1500 on the 7 speakers I need. I could go the monoprice route for about $500, which seems too low right now.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Josh
I think the claims for all of these speakers are fanciful. Ones you have decided to go in ceiling, quite honestly you have left the realm of high fidelity reproduction. Personally I can not see the justification for expensive speakers in this situation. I therefore see nothing wrong with monoprice.

In ceiling speakers are for background music not serious listening. For architectural reasons, I can see a point in using in ceilings for surrounds, but mains and center no way.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
In ceiling speakers are for background music not serious listening. For architectural reasons, I can see a point in using in ceilings for surrounds, but mains and center no way.
I agree with that completely. I have no long term listening experience with in-ceiling speakers but on other threads about the topic some people have said that they actually can sound decent as surrounds. I think they could also play a role for some of the new gimmicks like PLIIz. But NOT for the front 3.

M

m_vanmeter

Full Audioholic
can you use in-wall speakers for the front 3 at least ?

If not, I agree with the earlier posters, don't spend huge bucks on "sound from the ceiling" - take a look at an "in between" option from The Speaker Company - enclosed back in-wall and in-ceiling speakers in the "NT" and "PT" lines of in-structure speakers. But, if at all possible, use in-wall units for the L-C-R speakers arranged around your TV....at the tweeters at seated ear level height on the wall.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis