In a bit of a pickle and need some input on 2.1 systems vs soundbars vs bluetooth stations

eastbayhiro

eastbayhiro

Audiophyte
Just moved into a new place that has a smaller layout in the living room. As you can see it's not laid out real well for audio (we're making do since the newborn will be pulling on stuff in no time ha). We're sitting about 8' from our tv and as you can see the rock climbing wall LOL really kills a chance at any even separation for a good system. I was thinking a 2.1 system, 2.1 sound bar, or bigger bluetooth speaker is about all I can do with this small of space.

I'm a bit behind the times with regards to current technology but would ideally like to have a something with bluetooth capability (gotta get that baby to sleep on the fly ha). Budget is around $300-$400. I've owned KRK and Behringer active/passive monitors in the past in my studio so I can appreciate a decent system. I'd like to have a sub that gets down to 30hz for movies ideally. I do have a 150 watt pioneer 5.1 tuner in the garage, but am not sure if powered options ran through the tv are better for bluetooth compatibility. And if bluetooth setups are not up to par I can always just run my tuner and a mini plug out for the ipod (trying to be flexible here).

Talked to a guy at Klipsch and asked what he recommended for bluetooth capability. He has this sound dock in his master bdrm hooked up to his 45" tv and says it is very clear and has good clear non distorted bass for the size enclosure.
Amazon.com: Klipsch Music Center KMC 3 Portable Speaker System (Black): MP3 Players & Accessories

Also considering this system ran through the tv if I can't get a good bluetooth system (neighbor has this and I was amazed at how good it sounded for the price. Also has 12" sub he'd said)
Amazon.com: Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System (Black): Electronics

Not sure about this maker but it looks like a decent system.
Amazon.com: VIZIO S4251w-B4 5.1 Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer and Satellite Speakers: Home Audio & Theater

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the new baby, btw. :)

I like the fireplace...but, yeah, that protruding wall is a bit of pain, isn't it? :D I take it that moving the TV out to the flat wall next to it won't work?

Anyway, there are a number of different options out there, and I don't have the answer - but I figured that I'd welcome you and bump this thread for the other folks here to chime in.

For bluetooth (or WiFi), you could get that built into the speakers, or get a relatively inexpensive media streamer to handle that part of it. For example, a number of blu-ray players these days will also play music streamed wirelessly, as can standalone media streamers. Do you already have something like that?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Would it be possible to move the entertainment center to the corner to the left, opposite the fireplace? Running your cable TV coax line from the wall breakout next to the fireplace along the baseboard under the windows could be solved pretty easily with some wire molding. I've got some in my living room and it exceeds the wife acceptance factor and toddler-proof factor easily. Moving your entertainment center would open up your options considerably.

Re: Bluetooth, is your goal to get your iPod to play music wirelessly? If it supports wifi, you'll get better sound quality and range with Air Play. Many receivers support Air Play and have wifi capabilities. If you choose a receiver that has Air Play but doesn't have wifi, you can probably just plug the receiver directly into your cable router; so don't let that be a deal breaker. You might even consider sharing your iTunes media on your PC, then browsing it with a receiver, blu-ray player, smart tv, Chromecast, Roku, or similar device via DLNA / UPnP.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Allaire was my first thought too. Seems perfect for this situation.

eastbayhiro

eastbayhiro

Audiophyte
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the new baby, btw. :)

I like the fireplace...but, yeah, that protruding wall is a bit of pain, isn't it? :D I take it that moving the TV out to the flat wall next to it won't work?

Anyway, there are a number of different options out there, and I don't have the answer - but I figured that I'd welcome you and bump this thread for the other folks here to chime in.

For bluetooth (or WiFi), you could get that built into the speakers, or get a relatively inexpensive media streamer to handle that part of it. For example, a number of blu-ray players these days will also play music streamed wirelessly, as can standalone media streamers. Do you already have something like that?
Thanks for the warm welcome and congrats :)

I'd like to move the tv to the wall below the window, but the lady isn't having it. We have a view of a ridge line just outside and the tv encroaches just enough. The wall to the left of that is fairly short and our furniture doesn't really fit into any configuration other than this (should have set the stereo up before we moved the furniture in... I know ha).

I'm so behind the times with regards to bluetooth and networking. I've looked at Roku's and Apple music but thought those were more geared towards people that watch netflix and the like? Also thought about building some kind of media tower to put all my movies on, but am waiting for hard drive pricing to go down (I must have 3 or 4,000 movies to rip). I don't have a blu-ray player either unfortunately. I'm open to ideas and ideally would like to get into a system that's expandable like a 2.1 system. I did come across a few Onkyo networkable receivers, not really in the budget but I could see using my receiver in the meantime. What would be the best in terms of using ipods/ipads for music streaming? Is there much sound quality loss by not using a dock? I know there's a bit using the headphone jack.

The Allaire speakers look great, but I could save some money and route wires to passive monitors I'm thinking since I'm not going to get much separation with my current configuration.

Was up late last night looking about on craigslist for used speakers. What are peoples thoughts on buying used equipment? There seems to be quite a few speakers for sale here SF bay area electronics classifieds - craigslist

I was looking at these speakers for part of a 2.1 system. Any feedback would be great.
Audioengine A5 Hi-End Powered Speaker System
NHT Model 1A Bookshelf Speakers
Klipsch RB3 bookshelf speakers MAPLE

This system has a nice sub he's willing to part with
Excellent 2.1 Home Theater System

Appreciate any input you guys can offer. I'd really like to put more money towards higher end gear, but I'm afraid I'd have to start recycling diapers :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
NHT is located in Benicia :) You may want to check with them directly. Those particular NHTs listed I would pass on and the price is a bit too high for the era that they are IMO. The A5s should be OK but the price isn't so great either, so perhaps offer a little less? Sounds like an honest seller. The Klipsch you'd need to listen to first.

The 2.1 setup is not what I'd call excellent, but the price is quite good for what you get. Speakers are the weak point there, but you can replace them.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Offer $150 on the NHT

Skip the Insignia speakers - the NHT is much better.

eastbayhiro

eastbayhiro

Audiophyte
Appreciate all the input guys! I've put a few offers out there for some of the speakers on CL.

I've not spent much time with Infinity home speakers, but did buy a nice set of 2 ways for my car that sound great. I'll look into seeing if I can find some to listen to.

That being said what are your guys' opinions on smaller front end speakers? I've always liked bigger mids but haven't gone smaller than 6.5". Thinking with my scenario (close to tv/smaller room) it could be either good or a train wreck (bad angles in room?). Thinking it would be that more essential to put more money into a sub when using satellites?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
So if you are going to mention those, then the Pioneer BS22-LRs should be mentioned as well since they're smaller than the 163s and are a better sounding speaker.

Amazon.com: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers: Electronics

Appreciate all the input guys! I've put a few offers out there for some of the speakers on CL.

I've not spent much time with Infinity home speakers, but did buy a nice set of 2 ways for my car that sound great. I'll look into seeing if I can find some to listen to.

That being said what are your guys' opinions on smaller front end speakers? I've always liked bigger mids but haven't gone smaller than 6.5". Thinking with my scenario (close to tv/smaller room) it could be either good or a train wreck (bad angles in room?). Thinking it would be that more essential to put more money into a sub when using satellites?
Corner setup are actually not all bad - you significantly reduce the first reflection. The problem is getting enough width due to the fireplace limitation, and I've done a similar setup before. It can be made to work. Driver size isn't going to tell you the whole story with a bookshelf, since driver quality and cabinet are factors - example, the Pioneers use a 4" midbass and have surprisingly decent bass. Not the kind of bass that you'd want to watch action movies without a sub, but better than it should be for the size. I owned the BS22s and the P163s at the same time and the 163s did not have much more bass than the 22s.

Oh, these too

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/cambs30blk/cambridge-audio-s30-4-2-way-bookshelf-speakers-pair-black/1.html

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So if you are going to mention those, then the Pioneer BS22-LRs should be mentioned as well since they're smaller than the 163s and are a better sounding speaker.
I don't think the Pioneer speakers are even 1% better than the Infinity. That's why I didn't recommend the Pioneer.

But if you think the Pioneer are actually better sounding, then you can recommend the Pioneer.

eastbayhiro

eastbayhiro

Audiophyte
Thanks J Garcia... Those Pioneers look great.

I understand what you're saying about how enclosures can be misleading. From what I understand satellites rely more on using the room as an enclosure vs being tuned by the enclosure?

eastbayhiro

eastbayhiro

Audiophyte
I don't think the Pioneer speakers are even 1% better than the Infinity. That's why I didn't recommend the Pioneer.

But if you think the Pioneer are actually better sounding, then you can recommend the Pioneer.
Sound is so subjective, especially with everyone having a different environment. Appreciate all your guys' opinions, keep 'em coming!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Satellites are generally very small and what you give up with them is output capability and lower midrange, something that is pretty key for a better listening experience IMO and makes blending to a sub less of a chore. Something that extends to the 50s to 60s, possibly even 70hz range, should be adequate for a decent system. When you get small speakers that are good only to 100 or 120Hz, you're not going to get really great sound IMO.

eastbayhiro

eastbayhiro

Audiophyte
That makes complete sense.. I'll stick with the better sized 4-6.5" front end speakers.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks J Garcia... Those Pioneers look great.

I understand what you're saying about how enclosures can be misleading. From what I understand satellites rely more on using the room as an enclosure vs being tuned by the enclosure?
I also prefer the Pioneer to the Infinity - and yes the BS22 does have good bass.

I have owned some speakers, that had woofers smaller than 6-1/2" that will beat
and out perform a lot of them bigger woofers.

eastbayhiro

eastbayhiro

Audiophyte
Thanks for the input Zieg...

Can anyone recommend receivers in the sub $300 range for these systems? Bluetooth or network capability would be ideal.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis