Imput ,New av processor

B

BMW

Junior Audioholic
I have a 70" Sony display, 7 PMC speakers, JL audio sub and am waiting on Parasound Halo amps. Now, the Processor. Can You guys tell me what I should be looking at? Denon is currently outdated and many say that you should not go overboard on a processor because everything is changing so rapidly. However, I do want good processing for both music and movies. Suggestions?
BMW

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a 70" Sony display, 7 PMC speakers, JL audio sub and am waiting on Parasound Halo amps. Now, the Processor. Can You guys tell me what I should be looking at? Denon is currently outdated and many say that you should not go overboard on a processor because everything is changing so rapidly. However, I do want good processing for both music and movies. Suggestions?
BMW
What are your 7 PMC speakers?

B

BMW

Junior Audioholic
I have OB1s and a CB6 and their wafer2 surrounds. People have also mentioned the new Onkyo Integra, Dhc 80.2.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I have OB1s and a CB6 and their wafer2 surrounds. People have also mentioned the new Onkyo Integra, Dhc 80.2.
I would go for the Marantz. I have the Marantz AV 8003.

The only issue, which is not a problem for me is that the crossover is global. However my system which, except for the side surrounds, is all TL. I don't know whether the crossover is global on the new unit or not.

I would recommend your fronts and center be set to large anyway. The only question would be the Wafers 2s. These are also a TL with a response to 40 Hz. You get really good bass extension with aperiodic tapered TLs, which is what they are. I see the BBC use these wafer2s for post production monitoring, so they likely can take a lot of power.

With that superb speaker system, I would recommend setting everything to large and gently running the sun below 60 Hz. Your Sub really should be a TL and you should eventually spring for the PMC TL sub. The TLE 1 sub is what is recommended for your situation. Using a non TL sub will really spoil the quality of your bass reproduction.

How to you like that speaker system by the way?

I

indcrimdefense

Audioholic
i think one indy dealer who is now out of business, once carried your speakers. so i cannot comment on what would sound best w/ your speakers. find a dealer who has in home demos, stick a demo pre/pro in your system, and see what happens. perhaps better, perhaps worse, at times little to zero change. the other, hyper minority position, is to go with a pre/pro that is future proof. parasound halo makes an all analog, multichannel pre-amp. if you need video switching, hdmi this and that, not the way to go. but the beauty is, if it sounds right, your done. it cannot be outdated by whatever new format, as it never supported any format in the 1st place. i first started this direction 3 years ago w/ a cary cinema 11 and over 1 1/2 years ago went to a macintosh C45, and have never looked back. and the sound quality, for both music and movies, is improved. for whatever new format is on the horizon, i may have to buy a new player, or server, or what ever is coming years down the road. but i will not have to buy another pre-amp. at least until i find one that sounds better than this, for BOTH 2 channel and multichannel.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

i think one indy dealer who is now out of business, once carried your speakers. so i cannot comment on what would sound best w/ your speakers. find a dealer who has in home demos, stick a demo pre/pro in your system, and see what happens. perhaps better, perhaps worse, at times little to zero change. the other, hyper minority position, is to go with a pre/pro that is future proof. parasound halo makes an all analog, multichannel pre-amp. if you need video switching, hdmi this and that, not the way to go. but the beauty is, if it sounds right, your done. it cannot be outdated by whatever new format, as it never supported any format in the 1st place. i first started this direction 3 years ago w/ a cary cinema 11 and over 1 1/2 years ago went to a macintosh C45, and have never looked back. and the sound quality, for both music and movies, is improved. for whatever new format is on the horizon, i may have to buy a new player, or server, or what ever is coming years down the road. but i will not have to buy another pre-amp. at least until i find one that sounds better than this, for BOTH 2 channel and multichannel.
You will get caught as BDs are flagged to only output HD via HDMI. The time is already passed where than can do this. Your options for HD video will be limited.

I personally don't think your plan makes sense in this digital age unfortunately.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, if I could go back in time and not buy the AVP-A1 or AVR-5308, I would get THREE Marantz AV-7005. One for my 5.1Ch speakers, one for my 2Ch speakers, and one just for backup.:eek::D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would look at the B&K Reference 70 Pre-pro as well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis