Impressions of Salk SongTowers

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
I have not heard the 6T's, but I have heard the 5T's. In comparison, the Aperions are muddier through the midrange, losing some details. The bass is strong, but fat and bloated in my opinion. The tweet was pretty decent, but sometimes walked on the side of fatiguing.

For the price the Aperions aren't bad at all, but the SongTower's sound better to my ears, as they should since they cost more. :)

For what it's worth, the first time I heard the SongTower's was under blind conditions at CraigSub's home. I didn't even know the ST's were going to be part of the test. Boy was I shocked to learn the speaker I liked the best was one I knew nothing about.

Anyway, happy hunting.

H

hawkerman

Audioholic Intern
...but of the four speakers you mentioned, the Aperions are in a much lower price category. STs cost about 2½ times more.
Actually about 400 dollars more.

Axiom M80: 1330
Aperion 6T: 1390
Salk SongTowers: 1795
Paradigm Studio 100v3: around 1800 used on Audiogon

But thanks for your input, I will research those threads you mentioned.

Last edited:
R

Robof83

Audioholic
A guy on the AVS forum by the name of funkmonkey compared the songtowers and the studio 100's and preferred the songtowers. The others I have never heard compared to the Songtowers but all of those are excellent choices for the price you listed.

ozmedia

ozmedia

Audioholic
Chillax

Until we have some reliable third party measurements of both speakers, I'd prefer to stick with the manufacturer's own ratings, conservative or not. RBH says 50-20,000 Hz ±3 dB for the 61-SE/R, and Salk says 42-20,000 Hz ±3 dB for the ST.
Chill mate, this isn't a pi$$ing context. You are trying to debate 5Hz between a $1200.00 bookshelf and floorstanding QT's.

As I say, everyone has their wn ears and tastes, I'd like to think that in 25 years in the industry I have developed a good ear now. When I eard them A>B there was a noticable improvement with the RBH, and not only in the low end. However, Salk's are a great product, I am sure you feel you got the best deal available and will be more than happy with them .

Regardless of what anyone says, you will hear exactly what you believe you will hear from whatever you buy.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Regardless of what anyone says, you will hear exactly what you believe you will hear from whatever you buy.
You just condemned yourself with that statement, proving even you believe you cannot get passed your own biases. Your supposed 25 years in the industry is meaningless.

This isn't a pissing contest? Really? Then why do you come into a specific brands thread and start one? Take your RBH fanboyism somewhere else, like an RBH specific thread.

ozmedia

ozmedia

Audioholic
Settle

Better yet, why not start your own thread instead of trying to disparage the SongTowers in this thread?
Nobody is trying to "disparage" anything, I offered an opinion based on personal listening experience, if that is not the intent of this website then I apologize but it seems to be the norm around here.

The TK-5C's? I JUST sold a pair to a guy I met at a trade show for $550.00

You think that it was a FAIR comparison? You feel somehow redeemed that your Salk's outperformed an entry level model, by a narrow margin?

I used the comparison loosely and said I would even put a pair up against a Salk, for the price i think they do very well too.

As for promotion, I am not here to promote, I cannot deal with people here, I do not sell on a retail level or to end users. I also don't sell into the USA, so that's a moot point.

You're just getting a little defensive. You bought new speakers and offered an excellent review, I simply added a comparison I had heard with them too, without knocking or saying anything negative about Salk at all.

Enjoy.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
You're just getting a little defensive. You bought new speakers and offered an excellent review, I simply added a comparison I had heard with them too, without knocking or saying anything negative about Salk at all.
Nobody is trying to "disparage" anything...

Ah, yeah, you did. Are you really that naive?

We're just going to ignore you from this point on. Feel free to continue the one-sided, meaningless, unproven conversation if you'd like, though.

R

Robof83

Audioholic
Ah, yeah, you did. Are you really that naive?

We're just going to ignore you from this point on. Feel free to continue the one-sided, meaningless, unproven conversation if you'd like, though.

I think this is a good idea, no need to feed the troll. He was obviously just trying to promote his own product.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
Look for posts in this thread from BoB/335 for a SongTower - Axiom M80 comparison. He also posted on Audiocircles, where there is a dedicated Salk Speaker forum. Search for posts there under the same moniker.
I would take Bobs comparo with a grain of salt. Bob was a strange bird.

I would love to give the Songtowers a listen. The have generated a lot of buzz and I expect that they are a very good speaker.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
A guy on the AVS forum by the name of funkmonkey compared the songtowers and the studio 100's and preferred the songtowers. The others I have never heard compared to the Songtowers but all of those are excellent choices for the price you listed.
Ah yes, that's right; he did hear a pair. He's a really good guy and went through an exhaustive search to find his ideal speakers. Definitely check out his thread (click here).

Good call, Robof83!

R

Robof83

Audioholic
I remember reading another thread that even involved a blind speaker shootout where the author purchased the songtowers(I think).

Although I don't own the Songtowers and don't ever really plan to, they are a speaker that I most certainly wan't to here if merely for a frame of reference.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Actually about 400 dollars more.

Axiom M80: 1330
Aperion 6T: 1390
Salk SongTowers: 1795
Paradigm Studio 100v3: around 1800 used on Audiogon

But thanks for your input, I will research those threads you mentioned.
Sorry, I misread that as $695 per pair when it really was $695 each. Thanks for the correction.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Nobody is trying to "disparage" anything, I offered an opinion based on personal listening experience, if that is not the intent of this website then I apologize but it seems to be the norm around here.
But why are you offering an opinion in a thread that isnt looking for one, other than self promotion as mentioned. Hope you enjoy you speakers for many years to come, just dont be closed minded and a fanboy fanatic as to iritate others;) Nauance suggested starting an RBH thread and I concur:)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I would love to give the Songtowers a listen. The have generated a lot of buzz and I expect that they are a very good speaker.
Fred

You're welcome to come listen to my STs. I don't care whether you are seriously shopping or just curious. I'm in Gaithersburg, Md., not far outside Washington, DC. Send a PM if you want to set up a visit.

If I'm too far away for that, there is an Owner's Audition list on the Audiocircles Salk forum. Most Salk owners realize that accosting strangers on the street is a bit weird, but are more than happy to demo their speakers to someone who contacts them.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
I remember reading another thread that even involved a blind speaker shootout where the author purchased the songtowers(I think).
That would probably be me (thread linked in my sig). If it was someone else - cool. :)

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Did your thread have 8 or so auditions?
Yeah, sounds like mine. Is it the thread over at AVS Forum? I had more than 8 auditions (a lot more), but many were previous to the thread bring started, and many I just didn't bother noting. I guess I kind of chose the speakers I knew people would be interesting in hearing about.

Anyway, it was a great time, but after 2+ years of looking I am glad the journey is finally over.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis