Impressions from my Dynaudio & B&W home audition

B

Bevan

Audioholic
Well, I brought home some 42's and 52's to see if either might prove a worthwhile upgrade over my 602 s3's.

Well they do. but is it worth the price difference? for myself yes.

I do like the 602's though. the one area they beat both the dynaudios is low bass. and my NAD 352 does seem to drive them easier.

A very telling track to test low bass on i find is track 9 from Tricky's Blowback album. never having had a test cd i cant guess what frequency is those chords at 0:40 are and what they dip down to a few bars on, but in all my rock and electronic music collection i've never heard anything like them. anyone that knows this track can you hazard a gues what frequency these notes are? on the 602's they impress, on the 52's it feels like the amp struggles a bit. the 42's completely stumbled over this piece. but on the rest of my psy trance and heavy rock collection the 42's aquited themselves quite well. as is always said the 52 do have a bit more weight to them and these are what i think i'll go with. never heard ani difanco's revelling sounding this good:)

i have one concern about the 52's though that i'd like to ask you all about. I put on a trance track with a very low frequency bassline and was listning at moderately loud volume. definitely not loud in any absolute terms. i heard a vibrating sound comming from up from so i got up to see if there was something on the table that was rattling. i was extremely surprised to hear the sound comming from the 52's bass ports. it was very noticable from the listning possition. i played a few other bass heavy tracks after this and could only hear this luffing when i put my ear near the port. is this normal? could there be something wrong with the demo pair i got. apparently they are not really broken in yet, could this make a difference. i've owned audience 50's before and never had this problem.

i'm now thinking of swaping my NAD 352 for a 370. anyone think this a good/bad idea?

cheers all

bevan

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
I wouldnt expect low bass from 602's,thats what a sub is for with those.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis