Impedance question.

Joni_78

Joni_78

Enthusiast
Hi

I have Yamaha RX-V659 receiver with Yamaha NS-777 Front and NS-C444 Center speakers. Those speakers are 6 Ω, so I was wondering if it would be safe to add my four old 8 Ω speakers as surround speakers and set system impedance 8 Ω in the receiver?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, 8 ohm speakers are easier to drive than 6 ohm speakers. If the receiver can handle the 6 ohm speakers for the fronts, adding 8 ohm speakers for the other channels is no problem at all; 6 ohm speakers all around might be a concern.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Hi

I have Yamaha RX-V659 receiver with Yamaha NS-777 Front and NS-C444 Center speakers. Those speakers are 6 Ω, so I was wondering if it would be safe to add my four old 8 Ω speakers as surround speakers and set system impedance 8 Ω in the receiver?
there's not much demand on power for the surrounds unless you use the 5 Channel stereo mode. it's perfectly fine to use your old surrounds. nice setup btw. welcome to the forum.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
some more additional info to help your receiver:

if you have your speakers set to small and have a subwoofer taking over below the crossover frequency, the less work your receiver will have to do.

also remember, if you keep your receiver cool (whether passively - make sure there's space all around your receiver and provide for natural air circulation) or actively (with fans), it will prevent your receiver from overheating.

Joni_78

Joni_78

Enthusiast
Thx, i bought these recently and thought these will do fine for me for years because i haven't been into any hifi stuff mutch but recently i've read alot to get my system perfectly adjusted and now i find myself drooling for Soavo speakers. Dunno what happened :confused: .Btw could someone point me any guides of how to correctly adjust treble and bass?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
adjusting treble and bass (sounds like you're old school) - is purely subjective or at the very least dependent on your room, and would require frequency response measuring equipment.

you can adjust the treble and the bass as per how you like to hear your music ... there's no right and wrong way on how to do this.

edit: oh and about the soavo series, don't worry about it ... just imagine that most of the money you will pay for them is for the build quality :) your speakers will be about 85-90% their sound quality :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis