I'm not sure I can get there from here...PC 7.1 to amp/reciever...

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
It is funny in a way, as this just started by wanting more RAM for my older computer. Before I knew it, I was building a completely new, high performance computer and since my thing is editing/listening to music and video, it just brought more and more into the picture. Sort of a "domino effect". I think I am aquiring very good building blocks to have a system that I will truly like and be able to use for the things I am into. I am going to Craigslist my old 5.1 Altec Lansing 5.1 system that came with my old computer as it is not really bad at all, but I wanted to upgrade everything so that is where the 7.1 idea came into all of this...also having a receiver that accepts HDMI so there is no loss like there would be with some older receivers that offer optical or coax only digital inputs. I checked out the studio monitors you suggested and the Presonas line looks really good.

I do have a questions though...since they list several Presonas speakers, I was thinking of the PreSonus Eris E44 speakers (they seem to be "middle of the road" as far as price). Since I am not as knowledgeable, I wanted to get your thoughts on these for my "front pair" so that as time goes on, I wouldn't be having to upgrade them immediately and then could either add to them or buy other front speakers and use them in other positions (rear, side, overhead, etc.) when I get to that point.

Thanks for your help,

Steven
Excellent! If thats the monitor you are considering I would jump on this sale immediately! http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ErisE8

For one simple reason: You are working with pipe organs. With out a sub, these will inherently play lower due to the larger woofer. And they're on steep sale right now, same price!

I think ANY of these monitors will make such a big improvement for you that I would only buy a sound card with RCA left and right connections. If you have one, then even better! I suggest you spend time with just a pair of monitors to get adjusted to the difference in sound quality. Those E8's will almost certainly play lower than what you've been using. And considering the investment of a proper subwoofer (cheap subs just don't play deep, cleanly) I think these will serve your purpose for a while!

Post pics of your set up when you get the new monitors! And when future upgrades are due, we're here to help!

selden

selden

Audioholic
kiaya611,

You mentioned wanting to be able to hear (feel) the lowest infrasonic frequencies from organ music. I hope you don't have nearby neighbors! At any rate, no bookshelf speakers (like the PreSonus) can reach that low. You're going to need a separate, large, subwoofer. Internet companies like HSU, SVS (and some others I'm not remembering) provide the most cost-effective subs.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
kiaya611,

You mentioned wanting to be able to hear (feel) the lowest infrasonic frequencies from organ music. I hope you don't have nearby neighbors! At any rate, no bookshelf speakers (like the PreSonus) can reach that low. You're going to need a separate, large, subwoofer. Internet companies like HSU, SVS (and some others I'm not remembering) provide the most cost-effective subs.
This is true, but keep in mind he has not be hearing anywhere close to the low frequencies an active monitor can produce. So while a compromise, monitors are still hands down an instant upgrade to which he can add to later!

Unfortunately when you buy a subwoofer, you buy an amp and a big magnet, and a heavy enclosure. So let's not run him off with that kind of sticker shock, yet!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis