iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player Review

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The iBasso DX90 has generally been well-regarded as an excellent choice amongst the audiophile community as a mid-tier digital audio player (DAP). Incorporating a touch-screen, and high reference DAC the device makes hi-fidelity sound a portable option for the masses. However, with rival Chinese company Fiio recently launching the Fiio X5 2nd Generation DAP, can the DX90 be knocked off its perch? Read on to find out.

Read: iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player Review

RochRx7

RochRx7

Enthusiast
Astell** & Kern. Great review.. heavily considering the DX50 (I read it's a bit warmer, more forgiving) which would suit me better.

Thanks!

Alexandre

Alexandre

Audioholic
I am curious (not trolling I swear), what's the market for dedicated players like these vs a nice portable DAC like the HPA-2 that you can use with the device you already have (iPhone/Android)?

I

IEMPatel

Audioholics Inner Ear Monitor
Astell** & Kern. Great review.. heavily considering the DX50 (I read it's a bit warmer, more forgiving) which would suit me better.

Thanks!
Thank you, yes the DX50 is more warmer and forgiving however the DX90 excels in soundstage, separation and detailing.

I am curious (not trolling I swear), what's the market for dedicated players like these vs a nice portable DAC like the HPA-2 that you can use with the device you already have (iPhone/Android)?
Well to be honest, these players have better form factors than lugging around a slightly portable DAC interconnected to your smartphone. I agree the interface on the phone would be much more convenient but in the end you would need to test out the sound of both options to ultimately decide which is better.

Alexandre

Alexandre

Audioholic
Well to be honest, these players have better form factors than lugging around a slightly portable DAC interconnected to your smartphone. I agree the interface on the phone would be much more convenient but in the end you would need to test out the sound of both options to ultimately decide which is better.
Makes sense, I guess to me, when talking about portable devices, convenience is pretty high on the list. I also like, in the case of oppo's portable dac that it doubles as an external battery.

J

Jongroove

Audiophyte
Hi. This is my first post and I'm brand new to the forum.

I'm surprised that the review says the i basso dx90 only needs to play at around half volume to be fairly loud. I am using Shure SE 535 IEM'S which I would say are relatively sensitive and quite low impedance (but maybe they are not in comparison to other IEM'S?) and for good FLAC recordings at 16 bit 44 kHz I need to go above about 170 on the volume dial whereas for lesser quality source recordings such as many 70"s or80's cds I find I need to go up to 185 and some around 195 to get the best out of the unit and IEM'S. And that isn't deafening. I am using Lurkers modified firmware. I would be interested to hear if anyone gets a good volume below 130 and of so, what headphones are they using?

Thanks

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis