tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
17k$ what the.. It does not even support SACD and DVD/BR audio discs..

S

sterling shoote

Isn't this similar to the Marantz NA 8005, which can be purchased now for about $600?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
17k$ what the.. It does not even support SACD and DVD/BR audio discs..
I'm not into SACDs (which I think are a gimmick, that they are more expensive than CDs but don't sound better) or DVDs, though it is odd that it doesn't support SACDs, since it supports DSD streams. Hmmm.

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Isn't this similar to the Marantz NA 8005, which can be purchased now for about $600?
Yes, except that the 8005 is built like a cheap AVR, has economics like a cheap AVR, and a colleague who has one has annoyance with his for unreliable wireless networking. I highly value build quality and ergonomics, and I'm willing to pay for it, just nowhere near $17K. I'd pay $5K or so, but that's about it. The Marantz NA-11S1, which is nicely made and performs well, but doesn't include a CD drive or various other features, is $3500. But $17K is stupid.

The Harman Luxury Audio Group, which includes Levinson and Revel, has occasional brain farts. Just a short time ago they introduced the Revel 18" sub with an MSRP of $10K, and I doubt they sold very many, because it's already discontinued. Repackaging ATI amps for their lower range models was a brain fart too.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, except that the 8005 is built like a cheap AVR, has economics like a cheap AVR, and a colleague who has one has annoyance with his for unreliable wireless networking. I highly value build quality and ergonomics, and I'm willing to pay for it, just nowhere near $17K. I'd pay $5K or so, but that's about it. The Marantz NA-11S1, which is nicely made and performs well, but doesn't include a CD drive or various other features, is $3500. But $17K is stupid.

The Harman Luxury Audio Group, which includes Levinson and Revel, has occasional brain farts. Just a short time ago they introduced the Revel 18" sub with an MSRP of $10K, and I doubt they sold very many, because it's already discontinued. Repackaging ATI amps for their lower range models was a brain fart too.
Cough Cough, Lexington/Oppo DVD player Cough Cough

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

I'm not into SACDs (which I think are a gimmick, that they are more expensive than CDs but don't sound better) or DVDs, thought is odd that it doesn't support SACDs, since it supports DSD streams. Hmmm.
For stereo listening SACD has nothing more to offer, but some albums are fun to listen in SACD multi channel.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
When I think of real Lexicon products I think of the re-packaged Oppo they marketed. :) $5k would be silly stupid for the capabilities of this unit IMO. Throwing money at problems that didn't exist sort of spending. Harman undoubtedly realizes at the upper end of the market for some of their products that the price simply doesn't matter to those consumers since often they have no clue except for the price tag....

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
When I think of real Lexicon products I think of the re-packaged Oppo they marketed. :) $5k would be silly stupid for the capabilities of this unit IMO. Throwing money at problems that didn't exist sort of spending. Harman undoubtedly realizes at the upper end of the market for some of their products that the price simply doesn't matter to those consumers since often they have no clue except for the price tag....
Lexicon was founded in the 70s, and there were real Lexicon products for decades. It's only recently that Harman debased the brand, the same way they did with Levinson after it was acquired from Madrigal.

As for me being silly stupid, I've got two words for you, and all I can say on this forum is that they are definitely not "Happy Holidays". There is a lot more to any electronics product than specifications, and I've never liked cheap feeling, poorly-made electronics with lousy ergonomics. Yeah, that $600 Marantz thing probably sounds okay, when you can get it to work right, and when you get over what a piece of junk it looks and feels like. And it doesn't support XLR outputs for my 40' interconnects. I like quality, and low-volume quality costs more. It just shouldn't cost $16K more.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Lexicon was founded in the 70s, and there were real Lexicon products for decades. It's only recently that Harman debased the brand, the same way they did with Levinson after it was acquired from Madrigal.

As for me being silly stupid, I've got two words for you, and all I can say on this forum is that they are definitely not "Happy Holidays". There is a lot more to any electronics product than specifications, and I've never liked cheap feeling, poorly-made electronics with lousy ergonomics. Yeah, that $600 Marantz thing probably sounds okay, when you can get it to work right, and when you get over what a piece of junk it looks and feels like. And it doesn't support XLR outputs for my 40' interconnects. I like quality, and low-volume quality costs more. It just shouldn't cost $16K more.
Who cares what the brand did then? Or takes advantage of their customer base more now? That reboxed Oppo stunt is what I remember of the brand (and their customers). They weren't interesting to me in the 70s either.

I didn't call you silly stupid, just the limited disc player/network streamer costing $5k to me is silly stupid. If the aesthetics or ergonomics of such a unit floats your boat to such an inflated cost then have at it. I didn't suggest the Marantz unit either.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Very intriguing indeed....I'd love to hear it. I wonder how much money you'd have to spend on down stream electronics and speakers to make this purchase worth it? Anything that has Jimi as part of the ad though.... I'm in, if I had the dough.:D

S

sterling shoote

With technology where it is today, all we need for fabulous sound is an iPhone with an iTunes app and wireless speakers. The need for players like the ML discussed here makes me say what's the point no matter what the build quality. I have looked at all of the players out there today, those that play CD's and ones that don't; but, I think, since I can listen to my music from my home theatre system using iTunes player on my iPhone, both downloads as well as music in the iCloud, which sounds to me as good as my SACD's, why get a physical player too. There are other things I need more, so spending any money on a player seems somewhat cavalier.

Last edited:
killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
The Marantz NA-11S1, which is nicely made and performs well, but doesn't include a CD drive or various other features, is $3500. But $17K is stupid.
I actually agree with what you're saying here. Sometimes I envy people whose visual aesthetics are, for the sake of comparison, like listening YouTube is for ears (I'm not naming anyone). I always try to explain that my eyes need a high level of aesthetics same as my ears. For example - sure my laptop has an HDMI out, but now it's loosing contact. How nice is that? That is really something I hopped for. And it is very often that you see these (I now call them temporary features) selling the product. It's always; "buy this, it is cheaper and has more options". Yep, for how long does it has the options it boasts (my experience; few weeks after the guarantee expires)? How 'bout you keep your e.g. 'four useless cameras feature' and give me a mobile that can work for 5-6 days with one charging since mobility is what makes it mobile and cameras are what make it a camera.

Anyway, since you mentioned NA-11S1, perhaps SA14 SE/N1 SACD player might do what you need and be to your satisfaction, since it is a higher class of Marantz products?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Very intriguing indeed....I'd love to hear it. I wonder how much money you'd have to spend on down stream electronics and speakers to make this purchase worth it? Anything that has Jimi as part of the ad though.... I'm in, if I had the dough.:D
As long as they're of good design and quality, the downstream electronics won't make much difference. Now by reasonable design I admit I have somewhat high standards, but you could use a $500 solid state amp and probably not hear any difference attributable to the amp. (Note that the 519 is meant to drive amps directly, so a pre-pro or pre-amp is not required.)

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
With technology where it is today, all we need for fabulous sound is an iPhone with an iTunes app and wireless speakers. The need for players like the ML discussed here makes me say what's the point no matter what the build quality. I have looked at all of the players out there today, those that play CD's and ones that don't; but, I think, since I can listen to my music from my home theatre system using iTunes player on my iPhone, both downloads as well as music in the iCloud, which sounds to me as good as my SACD's, why get a physical player too. There are other things I need more, so spending any money on a player seems somewhat cavalier.
Cavalier? I think I'll spend my money any way I please, including build quality and ergonomics. I fully support your right to have a different opinion, but take your insults and value judgments and... [suggestive expletive deleted for decorum].

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Anyway, since you mentioned NA-11S1, perhaps SA14 SE/N1 SACD player might do what you need and be to your satisfaction, since it is a higher class of Marantz products?
The only current product I can find, the SA-14S1, does not appear to have pre-amp capabilities, and does not include balanced outputs. The model designation you quote does not return results on Google. I do like Marantz reference products. They're not built to the standard of the full-custom Levinson products, but they're good.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
As long of they're of good design and quality, the downstream electronics won't make much difference. Now by reasonable design I admit I have somewhat high standards, but you could use a $500 solid state amp and probably not hear any difference attributable to the amp. (Note that the 519 is meant to drive amps directly, so a pre-pro or pre-amp is not required.)
Got cha! I'm sure it's built like a tank and would look and sound good in anybody's rack.

S

sterling shoote

Cavalier? I think I'll spend my money any way I please, including build quality and ergonomics. I fully support your right to have a different opinion, but take your insults and value judgments and... [suggestive expletive deleted for decorum].
You're not very good at reading comprehension are you. I'm speaking of myself as being cavalier, as in I would think of myself as being cavalier by spending money on something I clearly can not justify. Now, the whole thing about opinions is if you don't want them don't ask for them. Gee-whiz, you are soooo angry about everything on a forum that's mostly about fun, what's that about. You misinterpret then want to fight about it. Get a life dude or get off the internet, you're too sensitive. This stuff is nothing more than a distraction to the realities of life, in other words it's meaningless.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis