I saw the mother of all big screens this weekend

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I was at Costco and I saw an 85" Panasonic Plasma for sale for 10Gs . Ok.. thi sTV is way to big for me and to tell you the truth, the picture didn't look that good. I went down to the smaller 55/60 inch displays and the one that grabbed my attention for shadow detail was the Vizio edge lit Razor .. I think they called it. Very VERY nice display and completely thrashes my Vizio at home.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
the picture didn't look that good.
I think evaluating picture quality on uncalibrated TV's is like judging a
beauty pageant after the contestants have been in a food fight. It's just wrong. :D

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I think evaluating picture quality on uncalibrated TV's is like judging a
beauty pageant after the contestants have been in a food fight. It's just wrong. :D
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm... Sounds like a good idea for a web site.:D

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I was at Costco and I saw an 85" Panasonic Plasma for sale for 10Gs . Ok.. thi sTV is way to big for me and to tell you the truth, the picture didn't look that good. I went down to the smaller 55/60 inch displays and the one that grabbed my attention for shadow detail was the Vizio edge lit Razor .. I think they called it. Very VERY nice display and completely thrashes my Vizio at home.
At my local Costco the Panny plasmas they had on display looked horrible. The problem was the pictures was lack of clarity. Fuzzy edges and motion blur was really bad. The LCD's didn't have this problem and was showing the same sporting event. :confused: I have two palsmas in the house and never have this problem unless the it's a SD TV channel that's compressed to death.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The 85" Panasonic TV is by FAR my favorite TV!

If you didn't see something that looked phenomenal, it's because they blew the video feed. That TV, is beyond a doubt, one of the best TVs on the market.

It certainly isn't the 'mother' of all TVs.

That would be the 150" Panasonic for $500,000.... Let me know if you want one!

They also have a 103" plasma. That one we've installed several times.

Still, if I could get any TV on the market right now, I would opt for the 85" 3D Panasonic plasma in a second. The 103" did not look as good IMO, and the 150" is ... well, it's awesome so I probably would that that instead. ;)

B

BMW

Junior Audioholic
Panasonic 85"

I am certainly interested in seeing this display. Is it the TH85PF12U, or the Th85vx200U? These displays were like 20K a year ago. I am looking to upgrade from my 70" dyeing Sony and thought that there was only the VT30 and maybe the new Sharp line. A projector would be great, but I have too many light sources. Are all Costcos carrying this display?
BMW

tattoo_Dan

tattoo_Dan

Banned
That 92" Mits is sweet. A few guys at AVS have one.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=219599&d=1312865195

(Notice the Audi TT in the background.)

Any AH have one of those or even a 82"? Projectors are nice, but they're not the best solution for a room without good light control.
my TV isn't that big,but I am a DLP fan ! :)
I have a 61" Samsung that I love,
I wouldn't mind having that 82 or 92" Mitsubishi though :D
my HT room is fairly big enough 19'x20' and it darkens up nice,and except for football,99% of my tv viewing and 100% of my movie viewing is done at night anyway.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
At my local Costco the Panny plasmas they had on display looked horrible. The problem was the pictures was lack of clarity. Fuzzy edges and motion blur was really bad. The LCD's didn't have this problem and was showing the same sporting event. :confused: I have two palsmas in the house and never have this problem unless the it's a SD TV channel that's compressed to death.
Thats exactly what I saw come to think of it. All the plasmas were showing artifacting while the LCDs were not... Its as if Costco were deliberately sabataging the plasma displays. *shrugs* So ya think Costco would want to ensure a great picture on the gigantor set as a show case :rolleyes:

Asside from the fuzzies, I did look at black levels betwwen one of the Pannies and that Vizio and although the Panny held the edge on shadow detail, it didn't do it by much. Those Vizios really have really come up in performance in teh last few years. But again, the compareion may not be fair due to calibration issues or lack off.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Thats exactly what I saw come to think of it. All the plasmas were showing artifacting while the LCDs were not... Its as if Costco were deliberately sabataging the plasma displays. *shrugs* So ya think Costco would want to ensure a great picture on the gigantor set as a show case :rolleyes:

Asside from the fuzzies, I did look at black levels betwwen one of the Pannies and that Vizio and although the Panny held the edge on shadow detail, it didn't do it by much. Those Vizios really have really come up in performance in teh last few years. But again, the compareion may not be fair due to calibration issues or lack off.
I'm sure the LCD's "smoothing" was turned on.

I just don't under stand why store display TV's don't get some kind of quicky calibration done. Not perfect but just a quick adjustment with a DVD/Blu-ray.

I was in a World Wide Stereo awhile back and I asked the salesman if the TV's were calibrated. He told me that they did it by eye or by known settings.

If I was a commissioned salesman I would damn sure bring my set-up Blu-ray to work. Might as well tweak in the down times.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm sure the LCD's "smoothing" was turned on.
I noticed it on the Samsungs...picture looked odd..but the Vizio looked good.

I just don't under stand why store display TV's don't get some kind of quicky calibration done. Not perfect but just a quick adjustment with a DVD/Blu-ray.

I was in a World Wide Stereo awhile back and I asked the salesman if the TV's were calibrated. He told me that they did it by eye or by known settings.

If I was a commissioned salesman I would damn sure bring my set-up Blu-ray to work. Might as well tweak in the down times.

I don't get it either why a quick adjustment couldn't be made.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The ones that look good are the ones they want to sell. Period. Unless a customer messes with the settings, they're set to look worse than the ones they make money on.

Costco selling the 85" is absurd but discount club stores usually only get the C or X series, not the S, ST or V series. I really like the Panasonic plasma TVs but they're becoming complete whores. They'll sell to anyone and they don't care if dealers can't match their own online prices.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
The ones that look good are the ones they want to sell. Period. Unless a customer messes with the settings, they're set to look worse than the ones they make money on.

Costco selling the 85" is absurd but discount club stores usually only get the C or X series, not the S, ST or V series. I really like the Panasonic plasma TVs but they're becoming complete whores. They'll sell to anyone and they don't care if dealers can't match their own online prices.
That's what I figure.

B

BMW

Junior Audioholic
Panny 85" Where? & what model?

I went to my local Costco and looked online but did not see the 85" anywhere. I am still wondering what model it is and where... it can be seen. I am in the LA area Thanks!
BMW

A

armaraas

Full Audioholic
That 92" Mits is sweet. A few guys at AVS have one.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=219599&d=1312865195

(Notice the Audi TT in the background.)

Any AH have one of those or even a 82"? Projectors are nice, but they're not the best solution for a room without good light control.
I do have the 82", for about 2 months now. I bought last years model (82738) for a pretty ridiculous price. I wanted to see one, and went to the local Best Buy to ask if they could tell me if anyone had one on display in the area. They said no, but there was one in the warehouse on clearance for $1599. When they told me that I decided to forget about looking at it and just bought it. The best part is I had about $1300 in gift cards saved up for such a purpose, so my wife couldn't object. She thinks it's overkill since she gets motion sickness with the 61". I think it's just about right, the 92" might even fit a bit better, but I don't think I'll be finding that one anywhere near that price.

This is my third DLP. The 82" was cheaper than the Samsung 61A750 I bought about 3 years ago, which was cheaper than the Samsung 56" I bought 6 years.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis