I now have fiber cable Internet.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Paul Bunyan Telephone coop connected my fiber cable Thursday afternoon. I now have the standard connection, and get 10 MB/sec upload and download. I have done a lot of measurements and I'm actually getting speeds of just over 12 MB up and down.

My previous service was 1.5 MB down and 1 MB up. That was the fastest I could buy since I'm just over 2 miles from the repeater.

I'm the last group to get connected, since I'm at the far end of their service area. They are the first in the nation to have 100% of customers on fiber to the door.

The final hook up took almost exactly four hours. It was bitterly cold. -9 F and the installer had to have frequent warm ups.

The result is spectacular. I have up loaded pictures and they upload in a flash.

It downloads large manuals on a flash also. Audio streaming is excellent.

I was wondering if others have the benefit of fiber to the home?

Here are pictures of what this connection to the PON looks like at my residence.

This pictures shows the fiber entry, ground, UPS and converter. The white box is the UPS, the gray one the converter.

Here is a close up of the new units.

It is nicely tied to the house ground.

The house ground is the other side of the wall, so very close. That is why I chose that location.

The house ground consists of three seven foot copper rods tied together.

This new installation has got rid of my last ground loop, and the rig is now silent at the seated position at full gain!

I will likely start a new thread, to get the benefit of the IT experts here on building a rack mounted computer for video/audio streaming, downloading and networking.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Lucky. I would love to have a fiber connection. Verizon offers FIOS in Keller which is 5 minutes from my house, but since I live in an AT&T area they don't plan on coming here :/

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, I've got Fiber optic as well, although I don't have quite that level of upload bandwidth.

My speeds are 14mbps down
.85mbps up

In all due honesty I don't really need more than that.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I have a 25mbit/2mbit cable connection and sometimes I get huge ping spikes in games for no reason :(

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I have fiber cable ... along with hundreds of thousands close by!
What this means is speeds are good at "off" times, but things bog down to a crawl rivaling telephone modem:eek: when kids get home from school and early-mid evening.

highfigh

highfigh

I have ATT DSL and it's fine, unless the router dies, or more accurately, the wall wart gets tired. I did have a modem die after I did the required update, so it must have worked to their satisfaction. Unlike a lot of others, I refused to pay for the replacement, though. They actually told me about the promo on upgraded speed and I'm paying the same for 6MB/s as I was for 1.5MB/s- $19.95/mo + taxes and fees. I just looked and it's supposed to be 6016kbps down/768kbps up but it just tested at 5.53MB/s down and .37MB/s up.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
AT&T couldn't match what I'm getting from my local isp (little telco from keller)...plus my isp doesnt knock me for going through a 800GB of bandwidth in a month :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Paul Bunyan Telephone coop connected my fiber cable Thursday afternoon. I now have the standard connection, and get 10 MB/sec upload and download. I have done a lot of measurements and I'm actually getting speeds of just over 12 MB up and down.

My previous service was 1.5 MB down and 1 MB up. That was the fastest I could buy since I'm just over 2 miles from the repeater.

I'm the last group to get connected, since I'm at the far end of their service area. They are the first in the nation to have 100% of customers on fiber to the door.

The final hook up took almost exactly four hours. It was bitterly cold. -9 F and the installer had to have frequent warm ups.

The result is spectacular. I have up loaded pictures and they upload in a flash.

It downloads large manuals on a flash also. Audio streaming is excellent.

I was wondering if others have the benefit of fiber to the home?

Here are pictures of what this connection to the PON looks like at my residence.

This pictures shows the fiber entry, ground, UPS and converter. The white box is the UPS, the gray one the converter.

I guess this is a standard setup with all fiber? What kind of feed do you have from the gray box to the computer, fiber or standard cable type?
If we ever get fiber to the house although the main tv in my area is on fiber, I'd need a nice wall setup since it is a finished garage;) Besides, it needs to match my internal woodwork:D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I guess this is a standard setup with all fiber? What kind of feed do you have from the gray box to the computer, fiber or standard cable type?
If we ever get fiber to the house although the main tv in my area is on fiber, I'd need a nice wall setup since it is a finished garage;) Besides, it needs to match my internal woodwork:D
Two lines go the telephone junction box. The box had cat 5 going to my studio in conduit.

The installer cut off the ADSL connector and put on an Ethernet connector. The ADSL converter is gone and the cat5 plugs into my Linksys router.

I guess my LAN is still faster then the WAN the new fiber connection not withstanding, so there is no need for fiber in the LAN.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Welcome to the future - fiber rocks! They did a nice clean installation too. I have Verizon FIOS internet and TV and love it. :D

highfigh

highfigh

It is nicely tied to the house ground.
It looks like you have more than one ground wire outside and you have at least one splice between the last stake and the panel. NEC calls for an uninterrupted conductor- the local inspector nailed me for that when my garage was built.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

It looks like you have more than one ground wire outside and you have at least one splice between the last stake and the panel. NEC calls for an uninterrupted conductor- the local inspector nailed me for that when my garage was built.
There are no splices.

There is one ground wire from the main panel and the other one comes from the FM/satellite grounding block. Both of these go to the triple grounding rods which are linked sequentially.

The telephone is clamped to one of the grounds, it is not spliced. The grounding rods are buried in snow and not accessible currently. However the distance at the clamp to the ground rods is very short and will not create a loop. There is no code problem with this at all.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Welcome to the future - fiber rocks! They did a nice clean installation too. I have Verizon FIOS internet and TV and love it. :D

Those numbers are really good. I suspect that FIOS is an active network. That is not feasible to push into a remote area. The PB system is a PON (passive optical network), with the band width of the main trunks spread between three subscribers.

The bandwidth is partitioned with the lions share going to HD TV service. The next to Internet service

The smallest share to land line phone service.

I can purchase up to 25 MB up and down. I have the standard 10 up and 10 MB down currently.

Do you think it would be worth going to the 25/25 MB service? At the moment it seems like lightening speed compared to the 1.5/1 MB service I had before.

This whole thing has been interesting to say the least. When they laid the cable in the fall, the cable layer had no power and kept stalling and was a very hard start. I ended up replacing the fuel lines and the diesel lift pump in my shop.

Here is the layer outside my shop waiting for parts to arrive.

The vibrating chisel had to be removed every time the cable needed removal and reloading. Since Case is now owned by Fix it Again Tony (FIAT), the design was awkward and not at all handy. It took tools and time.

So I got up early before the parts arrived and fashioned a quick release and reconnect that required no tools, and increased production significantly.

The cable layer at work.

highfigh

highfigh

There are no splices.

There is one ground wire from the main panel and the other one comes from the FM/satellite grounding block. Both of these go to the triple grounding rods which are linked sequentially.

The telephone is clamped to one of the grounds, it is not spliced. The grounding rods are buried in snow and not accessible currently. However the distance at the clamp to the ground rods is very short and will not create a loop. There is no code problem with this at all.
Excellent! You mentioned that the hum is gone- was it only apparent when the volume control was close to maximum, or was it there at lower levels, too?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Excellent! You mentioned that the hum is gone- was it only apparent when the volume control was close to maximum, or was it there at lower levels, too?
Nothing was audible at normal gain settings, but it was at max gain settings. Now there is no hum audible at +16 at the seated position.

Now all grounds go to one place and are tied together.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
What a beautiful place to live!

What speed to go with really depends on the individual. You'll probably find that there aren't a lot of sites that let you take advantage of much more that mega speeds. For example I buy high bit rate flacs and due to bandwidth limitations at the seller's end an album can still take a couple of hours to download. On the other hand those monthly Windows patches download fast. ;)

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Those numbers are really good. I suspect that FIOS is an active network. That is not feasible to push into a remote area. The PB system is a PON (passive optical network), with the band width of the main trunks spread between three subscribers.

The bandwidth is partitioned with the lions share going to HD TV service. The next to Internet service

The smallest share to land line phone service.

I can purchase up to 25 MB up and down. I have the standard 10 up and 10 MB down currently.

Do you think it would be worth going to the 25/25 MB service? At the moment it seems like lightening speed compared to the 1.5/1 MB service I had before.
Your numbers are better than shollings unless you mean megabits.

His speeds of 45/27.31 Mb translates to 5.36/3.4 MB.

Your speeds of 10/10 MB would be 80/80 Mb which is pretty damned good...unless you meant megabits like I said in which case I would definitely upgrade to 25/25.

I've read articles about city owned telcos (eat it, ATT/TimeWarner/etc) that offer 100/100 megabit packages but they are still fairly pricey.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis