I need help with speaker suggestions for my space.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Hey guys, I just moved into a new house and my armoire I had with my previous house fits perfectly in the new living room with one exception. There is no longer any room for floor standing speakers. Had I not opted for the fireplace I'd be fine, but I did.

So, what are my options? Don't think on-walls will work as there is almost no room on either side with the doors open. I think I may be stuck with a sound bar, but want to see if you guys can think of anything better.

If I am stuck with a sound bar I've got a max height of 3.5" to work with so I'm very limited. I'd like it to be passive if possible.

See pic for a better idea of what I've got to work with. (Sorry for bad quality)IMG_20160801_165149.jpg

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
One option to get rid of (imo) ugly armoire and put the TV on the wall with on-wall speakers, possibly from Atlantic tech . You will need a sub with most onwall/soundbar style speakers.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

If you want to use the floor-standers, it looks like your option is to put one on top of the fireplace ledge, and fish a speaker wire under the carpet to the other side of the doorway for the right speaker. You’d have to put the right speaker on top of something to make their heights match. Not an optimal layout, but better than soundbars or in-walls.

When we were home shopping ten years ago, practically #1 on our priority list was the living room had to be “home theater friendly,” allowing for symmetrical speaker placement for fronts as well as surrounds, a good corner for the subs, and attic access for cable running.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
If that were my setup, I might try to put a set of powered speakers on top of the armoire, on iso-pads pointing down to the listener.

Not ideal, but that's about the best I can come up with for now. If it were me, I might try it temporarily to see how it sounds.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Can't get rid of it. Looks better closed and if the quality of the picture wasn't so bad.

I considered on top, but I don't see how that could sound all that great. Not sure what speakers I'd use for that. Wouldn't hurt to try.

Can't put one on the fireplace WAF would go way down. I have a dedicated theater so the living room just needs stereo sound with a sub and I'm happy. I had considered a Sonos soundbar and sub, but was told the soundbar is a POS. I don't mind the thought of a soundbar (I'm lying, but not much of a choice) but most places only have the cheap ones out that sound a little better than the built in TV speakers.

I'll have to find something that is "good enough" I guess and set up a dedicated listening room in my office. Main room will be 90% TV anyway, but I still don't want to compromise...even though I have to.

So, if I were to place them on top what are some good choices for that?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I actually may have enough room on the sides of the TV for some smaller bookshelf speakers.

Any brands, models come to mind? Anything suggested would be paired with a sub.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
A couple of these. I have them in white and use them as surround speakers. They sound great. I was blown away how violins sound on them when I had a Roy Orbison Black and White concert on. Put them underneath the TV they should fit: https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-AESS5-BL-Architectural-Expansion-Satellite/dp/B0018N57MO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1470361441&sr=8-9&keywords=satellite+speakers
Nice. Thanks for the suggestion. I've got about 5" width and was also looking at these. Anyone got any experience with them?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I personally would get good pair of bookshelf speakers with wall mounts where you can set angle pointing on listening area in these positions.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Nice. Thanks for the suggestion. I've got about 5" width and was also looking at these. Anyone got any experience with them?
I'm sure those are good, but I'd opt for the JBL's at least it would be at ear level(Tweeter) and small. Don't let the size fool you. Try them it's amazon, so you can always return them. I doubt you will.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I personally would get good pair of bookshelf speakers with wall mounts where you can set angle pointing on listening area in these positions.
You really think that would work? Well, I know it would work, but I'm just wondering how it will sound with them being so far overhead.

I'm sure those are good, but I'd opt for the JBL's at least it would be at ear level(Tweeter) and small. Don't let the size fool you. Try them it's amazon, so you can always return them. I doubt you will.
I may have to do that just to see. FR is 150hz on up so I'd have to cross a sub pretty high. I think I'll run into that issue with anything that will fit next to the TV.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
You really think that would work? Well, I know it would work, but I'm just wondering how it will sound with them being so far overhead.
They should work fine if you can make the angle right with the mount so the speakers direct the sound towards listening spot.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I'm sure they will fit in the empty second shelf? They are 5 inches tall.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'm sure they will fit in the empty second shelf? They are 5 inches tall.
Second shelf is only empty for now. Have to put my HTPC and receiver in those spaces. I do have 7" to work with and there will be plenty of space left even with my components in place. Might have to try that.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
A couple of these. I have them in white and use them as surround speakers. They sound great. I was blown away how violins sound on them when I had a Roy Orbison Black and White concert on. Put them underneath the TV they should fit: https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-AESS5-BL-Architectural-Expansion-Satellite/dp/B0018N57MO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1470361441&sr=8-9&keywords=satellite+speakers
So I got two of these finally. I can't believe how good the tweeter in such a cheap speaker is. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

cel4145

cel4145

Audioholic
Second shelf is only empty for now. Have to put my HTPC and receiver in those spaces. I do have 7" to work with and there will be plenty of space left even with my components in place. Might have to try that.
That's a perfect spot for two speakers, though. If you can find another spot for the HTPC and receiver. All you need are two center channel speakers that fit. Center channels are mainly just speakers designed for horizontal placement. Two of these might work very well: http://www.parts-express.com/bic-formula-fh6-lcr-6-1-2-2-way-mtm-center-channel-speaker--303-438

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
So I got two of these finally. I can't believe how good the tweeter in such a cheap speaker is. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
I'm glad they worked out for you, enjoy. They are quite amazing.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That's a perfect spot for two speakers, though. If you can find another spot for the HTPC and receiver. All you need are two center channel speakers that fit. Center channels are mainly just speakers designed for horizontal placement. Two of these might work very well: http://www.parts-express.com/bic-formula-fh6-lcr-6-1-2-2-way-mtm-center-channel-speaker--303-438
True. I may look into that in the future. I think the HTPC might be replaced with my Nvdia Shield TV. HTPC hasn't been turned on since I moved in.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis