I need a router ...

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
The DIR-655 is a great router, it's what I use too. I just hate the super bright lights on the front of it.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I just installed mine successfully. My laptop now works at home and it's all secure with a WEP key. It wasn't too bad at all. I got a little nervous a couple of times but it worked out well enough.

I guess now it's time to tackle Netflix ... Ugh ... this is gonna suck. :D
If you're in a highly populated area, go with WPA2-CCMP or WPA-TKIP instead of WEP (depending on what your laptop and router will do). Best to be careful with this. It's easy enough to set. You'll want to plug the laptop in to do this because if the router and laptop's settings don't match, you won't be able to connect.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I took a quick look at the manual's table of contents but didn't see anything jumping out saying this is how to hook up your printer so that your wireless laptop can print and this is how to work it so that the laptop and the desk top are like connected.

I'm trying to hook up my BR player at the moment but thought that I would throw this out there just in case it was an easy answer.

I'm glad to hear that Strube pointed me in the right direction and the flashing lights and the whole router are soon going to be out of my line of sight. ;)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
If you're in a highly populated area, go with WPA2-CCMP or WPA-TKIP instead of WEP (depending on what your laptop and router will do). Best to be careful with this. It's easy enough to set. You'll want to plug the laptop in to do this because if the router and laptop's settings don't match, you won't be able to connect.
Yeah but how am I supposed to use his network for my Russian friends if he makes it secure. Yuri will be pissed if he discovered he suddenly had no internet.

B

bombarde32

Audioholic
MAC Address ...

Sorry I'm late to the party - I just went through a wireless project at my house. For those who are truly geeky (some just call me paranoid) you can also lock the network down by MAC address.

I have the encryption so you can't grab the signal "out of the air" and read it. But I also only talk to authorized MAC addresses which makes it darn near impossible to jump on my network.

And if you want, you can also tell it not to broadcast the SSID. That way 99% of the people out there will never even see you.

Although all that really is overkill unless you are in, or close to, a heavily populated area.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Sorry I'm late to the party - I just went through a wireless project at my house. For those who are truly geeky (some just call me paranoid) you can also lock the network down by MAC address.

I have the encryption so you can't grab the signal "out of the air" and read it. But I also only talk to authorized MAC addresses which makes it darn near impossible to jump on my network.

And if you want, you can also tell it not to broadcast the SSID. That way 99% of the people out there will never even see you.

Although all that really is overkill unless you are in, or close to, a heavily populated area.
Not if you know MAC address capturing and spoofing and wifi packet sniffing like some people do....*points to self*. :)

Yeah I am late to the party as well...IDK if your needs are for N as I didn't read through the whole post, but if you just need G I would get a Lynksis WRT router and throw Tomato on it. Extremely easy to do even for a monkey. :)

zeuiax

zeuiax

Audioholic
Not if you know MAC address capturing and spoofing and wifi packet sniffing like some people do....*points to self*. :)

Yeah I am late to the party as well...IDK if your needs are for N as I didn't read through the whole post, but if you just need G I would get a Lynksis WRT router and throw Tomato on it. Extremely easy to do even for a monkey. :)
How is Tomato compared to dd-wrt?

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
How is Tomato compared to dd-wrt?
Much much more lightweight and stable on Lynksis devices. I ran dd-wrt for years before I went to Tomato and I have never thought about looking back. I haven't missed a thing and I gained much.

Tomato offers TCP-Vegas natively, which is a huge plus on networks with high amounts of WAN traffic.

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm glad to hear that Strube pointed me in the right direction and the flashing lights and the whole router are soon going to be out of my line of sight. ;)
I am glad to hear it is working out for you. I was not prepared to contend with the wrath of Monkey so soon after returning from exile. :D

bandphan

bandphan

Banned

aircrack *cough*

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis