I need a good high power 2 channel

M

mousitch

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I need a good high power 2 channel rec for under $400.I currently have a onkyo 8511 that is toast...The problem Im having is finding a 4 ohm stable rec..I currently have 4 ohm DCM speakers that need 350+ watts for optimum eff.I thought the onkyo was good but after 3 years of pounding it has given up and is distorting at low levels...Anyone have any idea of a good product out there that will give me over 300 quality watts at 4 ohms?''Im searching but not finding squat...Thanks people.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Kind of hard to find 2 chanel high powered reveivers as most of the market is geared towards HT. Are you looking for 300 watts of continuous RMS power?</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>I am not sure why you think you need 300wpc into 4ohms.  Most high end multichannel amps don't even deliver that much power!

If I remember correctly, DCM speakers are high efficient designs and shouldn't require that much power to get loud SPL levels in moderately large rooms. Just because your speakers claim they can handle 300watts, doesn't mean you have to deliver that much to them.

In fact, most people don't realize that when they are listening to music, even at high SPL levels, the average power output from their amps is usually under 50 watts.

If you think about a speaker with efficiency of 90dB SPL @ 1watt/meter (8 ohms 2.83V), then 50 watts would yield an SPL level of 90 + 10*log(50) = 90 + 17 = 107 dB SPL @ 1 meter.  To calculate the SPLlosses with respect to &nbsp;distance, subtract the following number from the SPL rating: 20*log(DISTANCE), where DISTANCE is in meters. This equation is derived from the inverse square law of wave propagation.

Lets say you sit about 10 feet away from your speakers, and the level drop is about (20*log(3.048) &nbsp;= 9.7dB then the SPL at your listening position from both speakers would be (107 - 9.07 + 3(two speakers)) = 100dB.  This of course is an estimate and does not account for room reflections/modes, etc.  But it gives you an idea of how much average power is generally used to achieve high listening levels.

With that in mind, I would look for a two channel receiver capable of driving 4 ohm loads with say 100wpc or more.  Based on your budget, I recommend looking at options from Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon.  Else you could look for some used oldies such as those from NAD, Luxman, etc.

Hope this helps.

[corrected calculation]</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Hi
Good and $300 is a hard one used possibly
Decent and $400 is the AMC 2100
Cheers</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
gene : <font color='#000000'>With that in mind, I would look for a two channel receiver capable of driving 4 ohm loads with say 100wpc or more. &nbsp;Based on your budget, I recommend looking at options from Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon. &nbsp;Else you could look for some used oldies such as those from NAD, Luxman, etc.

Hope this helps.

[corrected calculation]</font>
<font color='#0000FF'>gene is absolutely right on this point.

For amp you can get several good used ones, the Yamaha MX-830 is a class A 170wpc 1ohm capable amp and it is available usd for around $350 in good condition. You can also get used Rotels, Denon, MTX etc for around same price.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I need a good high power 2 channel rec for under $400.

...good high powered reciever? Oxymoron.

I currently have a onkyo 8511 that is toast...The problem Im having is finding a 4 ohm stable rec..I currently have 4 ohm DCM speakers that need 350+ watts for optimum eff.

...headroom is important, which eliminates receivers.

I thought the onkyo was good but after 3 years of pounding it has given up and is distorting at low levels...Anyone have any idea of a good product out there that will give me over 300 quality watts at 4 ohms?''Im searching but not finding squat...Thanks people.

...yes, there are lots of wways to *truly* solve your problem. &nbsp;

A used QSC PLX &nbsp;series on ebay or other place used. That will deliver, but not sure if you are able to use it in your setup. Forget recievers, and weak hifi amps. All nonsense.

btw, I have a few questions:

what are the spec's on your speakers?
are you listening to 2 channel stereo or surround?
does your setup have pre outs?
are you prepared to eliminate all audiophile brainwashing?
do you want much better sound?
x
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------</font>

E

Eric

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Given your budget I would recommend you look into getting your 8511 repaired. $400 will buy a lot of parts.  BTW, is your current unit a TX-8511? If so you can pick up a new one for $299.99 at crutchfield.com.

I had a set of DCM Time window 1A’s that I drove with a ~100W JVC receiver for many years. They sounded quite acceptable and could get very loud. My JVC developed the same problem your 8511 has. I’m thinking Gene is dead on here.

If you’re interested in going to separates you might visit your local hifi shop. Many shops have trade-in/used equipment at good prices. Nice thing is you can see and hear the gear before you drop the cash.</font>

M

mousitch

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Well ,idont have preouts and I know my speakers are very efficent.I faintly remember The DCM dude mention that 300 Watss a side is optimal.Im done wqith the brainwashing and figure I have two options...Fix what I have or go balls out and build a rack system...Man you all are awesome...great input.</font>

M

mousitch

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Oh i fogot...Mr.X &nbsp; &nbsp;two channel all the way no surround....And yes I want btter sound...Kick ass loud as #### with awesome clarity would be a plus..</font>

G

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
mousitch : <font color='#000000'>Oh i fogot...Mr.X    two channel all the way no surround....And yes I want btter sound...Kick ass loud as #### with awesome clarity would be a plus..</font>
<font color='#000000'>I am sorry, but do you have a receiver with pre outs, or a preamp, or just starting from scratch since the death of your Onkyo?

Better sound will be a result of better amplification. Now, as for kick ass loud, that might be an issue your speakers will &nbsp;determine.

Do you have a sub?
If so, does it have a crossover and can you run an amp from that to your mains?

I ask, because this will make a difference.

If not, the main interest is to determine what your priorities are and in what order:

budget
spl
sound quality
buying used ok with you (ebay is great)

I am no sales man, but perhaps a different speaker will be what you need if you want kick ass loud. What is the sensitivity spec on your speakers as well as the watts rms rating for pwr.

Either way, forget receivers. BTW, I have been down your road, so I would like to help, even though we are 'strangers'.
I once owned an Onkyo a8500, a nice piece, but.....

x</font>

<font color='#008080'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Either way, forget receivers.</td></tr></table>
This is an innacurate blanket statement, and, if you check the original post, doesn't bode well with the &lt;$400 budget mentioned.

Of course, you may be basing this off the desired 300+ watts, which I believe we pointed out are not really needed for the aforementioned speakers.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis