I may be the only one in the history of the world that does this but...

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
I'm thinking of exchanging my PB-2000 for a PB-1000. The PB-2000 sounds absolutely awesome but the problem is the size. Holy crap it's big! I think the PB-1000 looks more normal in my setup. Am I off my rocker?

Attachments

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
For looks, the 1000 does appear to match the height of the system shelving nicely.
Personally, I enjoy some serious depth for home theater, for music, that added depth often gets in the way; but it all depends on your preferences.

cel4145

cel4145

Audioholic
Based on that picture, I think definitely need dual subs, whichever you go with :D

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would say those look good as they are and will sound better as well!

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
For music I like listening in pure direct mode which cuts off the subwoofer

For looks, the 1000 does appear to match the height of the system shelving nicely.
Personally, I enjoy some serious depth for home theater, for music, that added depth often gets in the way; but it all depends on your preferences.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
For music I like listening in pure direct mode which cuts off the subwoofer
If you get much room gain adding to your subwoofer's low end, the exaggerated deep-bass is going to muddy up the mid/upper-bass. If that sounds like part of your reasoning to cut the subs out from your music listening, read on.
If you want to experiment, you might try connecting the M8 instead of the SVSs, run Audyssey, and see how it sounds as a 2.1 system.
The theoretical advantages (of the M8 to no sub) are that you are getting a good solid 30-40Hz range that your F5 doesn't provide, you are relieving your mains of trying to produce those lowest frequencies (which is pushing it's limits), and, of course, you are relieving your AVR from needing to power those lowest frequencies (set XO at 60Hz).
The theoretical advantage (of the M8 to the SVS subs) is that your M8 rolls off at a higher frequency which would counter-act the effects of room gain to some degree. It doesn't need to be a perfect compensation, just close enough to get the level of in-room bass flat enough that Audyssey can flatten it the rest of the way. The M8 will never give you a solid 20Hz, but that is rarely a concern with music.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm thinking of exchanging my PB-2000 for a PB-1000. The PB-2000 sounds absolutely awesome but the problem is the size. Holy crap it's big! I think the PB-1000 looks more normal in my setup. Am I off my rocker?
Do you like the sound with the PB-1000? If so, do what looks 'good', to you, if the larger one distracts you from the video.

As for your last question, if you need to ask......

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Also, why are both subs on the front wall? Is this the only possible location or is it aesthetics or ?

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
OK, it's big but does it provide the sound along with pleasing you and if that location of your sub raises concerns, than search for another sweet spot where it's not noticeable to the eye but still pleasing to your ears...

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
I'd love to keep it. The way my living room is setup there's really no place to put it.

OK, it's big but does it provide the sound along with pleasing you and if that location of your sub raises concerns, than search for another sweet spot where it's not noticeable to the eye but still pleasing to your ears...

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
That makes sense. However I didn't think that the it sounds muddy (actually I never thought about it) I just thought that it sounded better with just the mains. I'll have to do an A-B comparison to see what's better - Stereo, Direct, or Pure Direct.

If you get much room gain adding to your subwoofer's low end, the exaggerated deep-bass is going to muddy up the mid/upper-bass. If that sounds like part of your reasoning to cut the subs out from your music listening, read on.
If you want to experiment, you might try connecting the M8 instead of the SVSs, run Audyssey, and see how it sounds as a 2.1 system.
The theoretical advantages (of the M8 to no sub) are that you are getting a good solid 30-40Hz range that your F5 doesn't provide, you are relieving your mains of trying to produce those lowest frequencies (which is pushing it's limits), and, of course, you are relieving your AVR from needing to power those lowest frequencies (set XO at 60Hz).
The theoretical advantage (of the M8 to the SVS subs) is that your M8 rolls off at a higher frequency which would counter-act the effects of room gain to some degree. It doesn't need to be a perfect compensation, just close enough to get the level of in-room bass flat enough that Audyssey can flatten it the rest of the way. The M8 will never give you a solid 20Hz, but that is rarely a concern with music.

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
Played John Wick last night and did an A-B comparison with the PB-1000 and PB-2000. The room shook more with the PB-2000 (no shocker there) as it plays lower. But the PB-1000 wasn't a slouch either. I think 2 PB-1000s will do just fine in that room. It's a 1440 cu ft living room that opens up to the kitchen and stairs that lead upstairs in the back.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That wall is pretty much the only place to put them. Behind the seating area is a walkway. Plus, where the subs are is one of the recommended places to have them. http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-setup/multiple-subwoofer-setup-calibration-1
If you have no other choice I suppose, especially if there is no place behind you. I'll have to peruse the article some more but it also seems to recommend a single corner sub rather than four midwall locations which sounds daft to me.

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
If you have no other choice I suppose, especially if there is no place behind you. I'll have to peruse the article some more but it also seems to recommend a single corner sub rather than four midwall locations which sounds daft to me.
I just had a thought. I'm selling my Outlaw Audio LFM-1 but it's not moving fast and no matter how cheap I list something for sale, everyone wants it cheaper. I can just keep it and run (2) PB-1000s and (1) LFM-1. I can place the LFM-1 next to my sofa. Thoughts?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Use the LFM near-field next to your sofa, or at least give it a try and see how you like it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis